Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Avid Codec missing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=132963)

h1ntOn 03-28-2005 11:14 AM

Avid Codec missing

Hello,

can anyone help me get the "Avid ABVB NuVista" codec? The Editor of the project I am starting delivered the video file to me with this compressor after I expicitly stated that exporting the file this way would cause it to not play back properly (at all) with Pro Tools. Since I am on the subject. Why the heck can't Avid/ Pro Tools just bundle these codecs with their software so this kind of thing doesn't have to happen. The whole point of having an Avid/ Pro Tools workflow is seemless combatibilty right...? So many of the projects I get are cut with FCP so I was all excited to get something from an Avid cause I was thinking I would actually get a REAL omf. Well that never happened and now this whole video codec thing... OK rant off but seriously can anyone help me out here or point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Brett
Switch Studios

Andy Hay 03-30-2005 02:18 PM

Re: Avid Codec missing

Let's see.. you're asking if Digidesign/Avid can make your life easier... hmm... a recent history...

"sorry sir, your hardware is now obsolete.. if you'd like to upgrade to 6.7 you'll need to fork over another $800 for a 002R"

"oh, you're doing film now?... well, if you'd like to actually work with timecode, that'll be another $1000 for the DV Toolkit"

"surround? har har har.. no, you'll need to fork over another $10,000 and get yourself an HD rig to enable 5.1 support"

Nuendo anyone? Seriously!

-andy

cmaynes 03-30-2005 09:02 PM

Well I guess those are good points Andy- Though I would hate to be an film independent sound guy in Los Angeles based on a Nuendo system.

Things may change, but if they do you can be sure it will take awhile. ProTools is pretty much the machine for film sound here.

charles maynes

Andy Hay 03-30-2005 11:12 PM

Hey Charles,

Don't get me wrong.. I'm using Pro Tools.. have ever since it was Sound Tools back in the day... I'm just continuing the rant that Brett laid out at the top of the thread. Although I did just see an ad in MIX for a Nuendo system being used exclusively by John Ross for film post... not that I believe everything I see in high gloss-paid for by advertising-magazines.. BUT if we're all just throwing OMFs back and forth, why not get into a nuendo system? Just a thought.

cmaynes 03-31-2005 08:43 AM

Hi Andy- I saw that ad too.

I do not know your work flow, but in mine, It is pretty rare that I send an OMF anywhere- sometimes to a picture dept, but it seems that they have enough trouble walking and chewing gum that I just don't bother- For them I usually just name the clip I send with the Reel#, version and footage it goes at.

Since you are here, you are aware that pretty much every dubbing facility in town with the exception of course of Sony, Have installed ProTools systems as the playback machines. I think that when John dubs, they have to do a lot of work to accomodate his arrangement- I spoke with him a while back about De-Lovely, and he said it was really good, but at the same time I think he has issues with Avid / Digi. so I do not know that he is an entirely impartial party. I had read on the Yahoo sound design list, that a German facility had switched from PT to Nuendo, but have since switched back to PT, so I guess they wanted to be more Hollywood compatible.

At the end of the day we are talking about hammers really, however studio compatibility issues are more like building codes- You want to meet the accepted spec, otherwise the place will have to be rebuilt.
cheers!

charles maynes

Sonsey 03-31-2005 01:27 PM

Hi Brett...

To answer your question (if you haven't already)... Have the editor send you the codec - it's just an extension from the system folder. However, the ABVB codecs don't work in OS X... If you are running X then you will have to install the extension in your Classic enviorment, start Classic, start the CLASSIC version of QTPro and then export the movie in something you can use. Whew!
If you're still in OS 9 then you should be fine.

Good luck

h1ntOn 04-07-2005 08:01 PM

Thanks Sonsey, I will remember that for next time. I just had the editor redo the QT however when they gave me the new one they forgot to do a window burn. When will it end

The main reason why I was so excited to get the Avid OMF file was that it can include volume automation. Some editors like to go nuts with that and add SFX here and there. This can be a great way to better understand what the heck the director was thinking when they cut the damn thing as well as it being a lot easier on the ears when using it as a guide track. As far as swapping OMFs between ProTools systems, Yes very redundant, but how the OMF is laid out and delivered can save an enormous amount of time or completely screw the pooch if done poorly. I am really starting to get sick of FCP and its lack of OMF integration with audio editors. Also, I imagine its probably Avid hold out on lines of code that would make it possibly for FCP to do this better. Hey maybe FCP will announce full OMF integration at NAB!! :fingers crossed: