Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Markers (memory locations) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=278217)

NGokhool 07-19-2010 12:18 AM

Markers (memory locations)

Hi there all

first time posting so please be gentle :)

Im a sound design student and I normally spot my sessions in protools 8 LE using the markers (memory locations) i was wondering if there was a way to print out the memory location list to give u a cue list of where you have your markers with time code this would be useful in foley or adr. in fact any application of pro tools were spotting is required.

I have read the manual and it doesn't seem to mention it at but if any one knows any different please drop me a line and do so as well if this isn't true and im just making a fool of my self :)

all the best

Nathan

priorytools 07-19-2010 05:54 AM

Re: Markers (memory locations)

Allo Nathan.

Dude. .

Firstly. . LE doesn't display time code unless you buy the video tool kit .
Secondly . To "spot" audio in PT. . Use wav files. . Import the audio & select "spot" as opposed to "slip" or "grid". . This will snap your files to the position at which they were recorded. . Read the manual. .

Third; printing a list of your marker points . . Easiest way is to do a screen grab of the memory locations window ( cmd 5 ) . I think you can configure that window to display various info. . Again, read the manual-chapter 34.

Bon chance.:-)

florian.ardelean 10-07-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priorytools (Post 1639237)
Allo Nathan.

Firstly. . LE doesn't display time code unless you buy the video tool kit .

So? Does Spot only work with timecode?

Quote:

Secondly . To "spot" audio in PT. . Use wav files. . Import the audio & select "spot" as opposed to "slip" or "grid". . This will snap your files to the position at which they were recorded. . Read the manual. .

Sorry but you're off-topic. The man clearly states he needs to spot regions for ADR or FOLEY, which means that the project he will be importing into has a different timecode than the project he recdorded it into. He may even record using a portable device. And he said he read the manual.

Quote:

Third; printing a list of your marker points . . Easiest way is to do a screen grab of the memory locations window ( cmd 5 ) . I think you can configure that window to display various info. . Again, read the manual-chapter 34.

Your solution is quite complicated. For instance, I recieve print outs with the memory locators from AVID Media Composer, for, say, where the video editor wants me to put certain sounds. Why? Because I can't import them as markers.

And in Pro Tools, where I add a different marker for each sequence of a TV series (which needs a different ambience background). I'd like to print out those memory locations so I can have them on a sheet, which I can use to keep track of what sequences I already edited.

Is there a way to do that? Export memory locators as text (like in Avid Media Composer) would be useful.

florian.ardelean 11-03-2010 09:58 AM

I found a great way to export markers!

A neat little program called EdiMarker, compatible with Mac and PC (donationware) which will export Memory locations to a text file, provided that you export a MIDI track from ProTools (be it even empty)

The text file can then be imported into ms Excel or openoffice Calc (freeware) to make a nice table with whatever else you need, and print it out.

Thanks to Mark Franken

Here's the link:

http://www.soundsinsync.com/index.ph...133&Itemid=102

AfterJohn 11-03-2010 11:25 AM

I'be done this by "Export Session Data As Text" before...I think, it's been a while.

daeron80 11-03-2010 01:38 PM

Priory is right about one thing - you'll have no time code support in LE at all without the DV Tool Kit.

Nice to know about the EditMarker utility. It's still a hefty workaround. As much as PT is used in post, it's a shame they've never added the ability to print straight from the Markers window. Dumbfounding oversight.

jbep 12-11-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterJohn (Post 1689776)
I'be done this by "Export Session Data As Text" before...I think, it's been a while.

Here's a trick someone might want to explore:

I have often used a midi track, set to view blocks, for comments on tracks, by creating midi blocks and renaming.

It's like markers but more specifically timebased, color-codeable, length editable, more than one layer (track) of comments possible. etc. a little fiddly but whatever.

So i tried Export session data as text, to see if these midi markers would show up, but they don't.

So i just tried making an audio track, and inserting a blank audio region, then moving the regions and naming them for comments. this does then show up in session data export and looks like this:

TRACK NAME: NOTES AUDIO
CHANNEL EVENT REGION NAME START TIME END TIME DURATION
1 1 Note only 10:50:16:04 10:52:21:16 00:02:05:11
1 2 this is good 10:57:59:15 10:59:33:01 00:01:33:10
1 3 THIS sux 11:11:26:12 11:12:50:18 00:01:24:06

in case that's interesting to anyone.

daeron80 12-12-2010 07:09 PM

Clever.

literatemoose 02-09-2014 07:17 PM

In terms of keyboard shortcuts, Command+Keypad 5 (or Control+Keypad 5 on PC) will bring up a small window within Protools that will give you a list of your markers. Click on the items in your list, and it will take you to the time as well. Not a perfect solution, but it might be a start?