Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   USB AAX Plugin, does it exist? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402786)

Justin1524 01-06-2019 05:34 PM

USB AAX Plugin, does it exist?

Here's an idea for a plugin I'm not sure exists. I want to use PT's HD Native driver why? Because I do! I have a Boss Katana 50 guitar amp that I'm loving which has no analog stereo output but I believe does have a stereo out via the Boss Katana USB Sound Driver. Why not have an AAX plugin that can route audio from any USB driver into Pro Tools on an insert? Maybe this exists now and I just haven't found it. The closest thing I know of is Source-Nexus which allows you to take audio from your Mac's system sounds (youtube etc.) and, using an AAX plugin, listen on a Pro Tools track while using the HD Native driver which is incredibly useful. Avid should take notes because I'm sure folks would love it if an input selection in Pro Tools covered USB drivers.

YYR123 01-06-2019 09:54 PM

Re: USB AAX Plugin, does it exist?

How does a Guitar amp have a stereo output?

Obviously it’s not true stereo

musicman691 01-07-2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2511793)
Here's an idea for a plugin I'm not sure exists. I want to use PT's HD Native driver why? Because I do! I have a Boss Katana 50 guitar amp that I'm loving which has no analog stereo output but I believe does have a stereo out via the Boss Katana USB Sound Driver. Why not have an AAX plugin that can route audio from any USB driver into Pro Tools on an insert? Maybe this exists now and I just haven't found it. The closest thing I know of is Source-Nexus which allows you to take audio from your Mac's system sounds (youtube etc.) and, using an AAX plugin, listen on a Pro Tools track while using the HD Native driver which is incredibly useful. Avid should take notes because I'm sure folks would love it if an input selection in Pro Tools covered USB drivers.

Why do you want the audio from the Katana to go into an insert? Why not a regular input on an audio or aux track? For that you'd use an aggregate device setup in OSX audio preferences.

Justin1524 01-07-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2511837)
Why do you want the audio from the Katana to go into an insert? Why not a regular input on an audio or aux track? For that you'd use an aggregate device setup in OSX audio preferences.

I don’t think I can combine the HD native driver with the Katana driver using PT aggregate IO because the native driver is PCIe not USB.

I’m guessing the Kanata has stereo effects such as reverb. FWIW the mono line out which disables the speaker when plugged in isn’t too shabby. Probably the best way to record the Katana though would be to put a mic or two on the speaker. Amazing value for money on this amp.

musicman691 01-07-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2511841)
I don’t think I can combine the HD native driver with the Katana driver using PT aggregate IO because the native driver is PCIe not USB.

I’m guessing the Kanata has stereo effects such as reverb. FWIW the mono line out which disables the speaker when plugged in isn’t too shabby. Probably the best way to record the Katana though would be to put a mic or two on the speaker. Amazing value for money on this amp.

Doesn't matter what connection scheme is used for audio interfaces. Try and setup an aggregate interface scheme and see if it works.

Do you use your 11R as an interface alongside the HD Native pcie card? Same deal as using the Katana.

YYR123 01-07-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2511841)

Cool, makes sense now. I am unfamiliar with Boss amps in general

Been eying a Fender Tweed 5E3 DIY kit....looks like fun and could be an awesome Boutique style amp.

Justin1524 01-07-2019 11:37 AM

Upon closer inspection the Katana 50 does have a single analog TRS stereo output jack so you get the built-stereo effects that way. Plugging into it doesn't turn off the speaker and using the Tone Studio software you can alter the speaker emulation characteristics. Not something I'd necessarily use but nice to know it's there. Would've been nice if you could just manually turn the speaker on the off with a switch but no biggie.

musicman691 01-07-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2511866)
Cool, makes sense now. I am unfamiliar with Boss amps in general

Been eying a Fender Tweed 5E3 DIY kit....looks like fun and could be an awesome Boutique style amp.

Must be talking about one of the StewMac kits.

musicman691 01-07-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2511880)
Upon closer inspection the Katana 50 does have a single analog TRS stereo output jack so you get the built-stereo effects that way. Plugging into it doesn't turn off the speaker and using the Tone Studio software you can alter the speaker emulation characteristics. Not something I'd necessarily use but nice to know it's there. Would've been nice if you could just manually turn the speaker on the off with a switch but no biggie.

Get a load box and use that.
Have you tried the aggregate setup yet?

YYR123 01-07-2019 10:36 PM

Justin how much did you pay for the amp?

If you don’t mind me asking. Surfing Craigslist and I saw one for $200

Seems cheap -

That kit I want to put together is $200 just for the head
$100 for the transformers
$300 for the cabinet

Sure it’s one of a kind, and probably a different tone (and would last a lifetime) but if I could get a cheaper amp right now that would be cool too.

I have recently started hating PCB’s in amps since Fender won’t sell me a replacement for my 93 Blues Deluxe