Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What kind of IDE HDdo i need to Digi001 ???? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=41166)

lukemaniak 08-31-2001 04:31 PM

What kind of IDE HDdo i need to Digi001 ????

Hi.
I spent the last years using scsi drives, and now I'm setting up a Mac to run digi 001...so Im a complete newbie to the IDE thing (ATA-Ultra-DMA-DMA66-ATA33...damn I'm confused [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] )
So please help me:
What's the best IDE can I use as a secondary HD (the audio HD) to digi001.
What IDEs have 7200 rpm ???
Any brands, models....?
My puter is a BW G3/350 (revision 2).

Plus, I have 192 of ram..is that enough or do I really need something like 512 ?

Thx in advance for any comments... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Christoph1123 08-31-2001 06:33 PM

Re: What kind of IDE HDdo i need to Digi001 ????

There's a couple of HD's alot of users have great success with here. They are >

IBM Deskstar 60GXP 7200rpm 8.5ms 2MB Cache Ultra ATA/100.

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 Series 7200rpm 9ms 2MB Cache UltraDMA 100.

Ive used the Maxtor with no problems in the past. I'm now using the Glyph X-Project 30GB 7200 Firewire HD. So far so very good. I'd say look into that too. Check Glyph's site > www.glyphtech.com <to see if it will be ok with your G3.

Yea, RAM is so cheap now. I just got a 512MB RAM for like $75 and there still dropping the prices.

Here's a couple of links for the HD's and RAM.

Mac Mall

Other World Computing

Chris

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Christoph1123 ]

BradLyons 08-31-2001 08:37 PM

By using internal IDE drives off the shelf, you are adding more heat and strain to your system. Many disagree but no offense, they don't know better becuase they don't see what really happens. Internal IDE drives often are fine, but they are not suited well for audio at all. This doesn't mean they won't work, but remember that hard drives under normal circumstances put out heat... when being used for audio, they put out EXTENSIVE heat which causes system lockups and hard drive failures. You're also dealing with fragmentation.

Firewire drives are no different, unless they are designed for audio. There really is a difference with Glyph drives, they are NOT just hard drives in a fancy case. If you are on the Sweetwater mailing list, check out my article on page 6 of the new issue of SweetNotes mailing out about Glyph drives. Virtually EVERY customer I speak with reporting a hard drive failure is using an internal IDE drive for audio. Firewire drives ARE IDE drives using a bridge technology in that firewire is that bridge. It is essentially a form of SCSI-2. But Glyph cases provide the proper power requirements and cooling that hard-drives for audio need and YES, it does make a difference. If you buy the off-the-shelf firewire kits, you're asking for problems down the road.... I see it all too often.

I sell a ton of Digi001 systems and everyone has a firewire drive. Almost everyone of our support issues come from those using internal IDE.... those with the Xprojects run great. This is not to say we don't get support issues with these systems, just far fewer.

Hope this helps!

Park Seward 09-01-2001 01:37 PM

New info from Digidesign regarding Firewire HD compatibility: http://www.digidesign.com/compato/firewire.html

Park Seward 09-02-2001 12:40 AM

In my experience, I used a Western Digital 30 GB FireWire drive that didn't keep up with the 001. I then put in a Western Digital 40 GB internal 7200 RPM IDE drive and everything is working fine.

While I am sure the more expensive external FireWire drives work well for audio (and video), I found this $100 IDE solution fine. I'll report immediately if the drive fails.

maxcap 09-02-2001 12:46 AM

I just recently picked up a 40 gig Western Digital 7200 and I havent had any problems...yet.

BradLyons 09-02-2001 03:04 PM

I'm not saying you will see the drive fail, but it could. Basically, the amount of drives I see go through our facility are in the thousands... the more you see, the higher the failure rate, and almost everyone is an internal IDE drive. I didn't say internal IDE isn't a good option, because it is.... just not the best option.

CrookedSound 09-02-2001 06:33 PM

What about just getting a SCSI card and using your old SCSI drives? That's what I had planned to do when I get my G4. Order it with the SCSI card, use my internal drives...plus the IDE that comes with it...for storage...not too expensive really. I guess it depends on yer budget.

Chompers 09-02-2001 09:43 PM

Hey Brad, do you think the all the people with internal ide problems could be atributed to the fact that 90% of users are using internal ide drives. In addition to the fact that if they bought a drive from you are anywhere else that sells the glyph: These folks are better at running their systems.
Im not disagreeing with you, but it seems possible that its a numbers thing.

BradLyons 09-03-2001 06:03 AM

Not at all Chompers. I guess the point I am making is there are quite a number of things you can do to provide a faster running and more stable system. My biggest issue with IDE drives is when they fail, they fail hard! I have yet to have a SCSI drive go out on me other than when I was using an internal Cheatah drive (too much heat).... but over the years I have had a few IDE's go out on me and have seen many on my own customer's.

I'm not saying you can't go with IDE as you certainly can.... BUT understand you're also losing some benefits too. You may not seem them because IDE does provide good results.