Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   XMON (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=158742)

OKN 01-26-2006 08:08 PM

XMON

Ok, Sorry if this is a dumb question.
I am looking to ugrade/crossgrade to a ProTools HD system, I was also looking at getting the D-Command console.
I am interested as to how the Xmon works with the ProTools software. Will I need to create a buss that out puts to the Cues? Can I simply do a "Master to cues" type thing to get the backing track to the cues, then add any other incoming signals I wish to be in the cues?
Nornally when tracking, I open up 20 or so tracks, then take and take and take to a new track each time, I find this the easiest way to comp the vocal down to the best take. Can I simply mirror a signal from the input to the cues section, or will I need to set up a send from every channel I wish to record on?
How much latency is there using the Xmon? Is this latency always the same no matter how much processing is going on inside protools even if some of the processing is RTAS?

Thankyou in advance.

OKN

One other thing, Have all the monitoring issues with the XMON been fixed, the dimming staying latched and such.

RichN 01-27-2006 09:19 AM

Re: XMON

Quote:

Will I need to create a buss that out puts to the Cues? Can I simply do a "Master to cues" type thing to get the backing track to the cues, then add any other incoming signals I wish to be in the cues?
Nornally when tracking, I open up 20 or so tracks, then take and take and take to a new track each time, I find this the easiest way to comp the vocal down to the best take. Can I simply mirror a signal from the input to the cues section, or will I need to set up a send from every channel I wish to record on?
How much latency is there using the Xmon? Is this latency always the same no matter how much processing is going on inside protools even if some of the processing is RTAS?

Hi OKN,

There are two cue outputs on D-Command, each of which can be fed via switch selection from either the main mix feeding your Control Room monitors or their own dedicated Cue input, which you would typical source from a send via a 192 analog output pair. In order to get a custom headphone mix based on your control room monitor mix, a quick way to do this is to create a stereo cue buss, assign it to one of the sends across the desk, select all channels then do a "copy to send" command to copy your fader mix to the cue sends. Then flip the cue mix down to the faders and tweak the cue mix to your talents liking from the faders.
Xmon does not contribute any latency, it is completely analog. The sticky talkback issues have been addressed via recent Pro Tools software updates.

Rich Nevens
Digidesign

SessionKat 01-27-2006 09:34 AM

Re: XMON

As well, there are no latency issues monitoring through XMON.

Good luck!

-tv