Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT12.7.1 sluggish GUI over time+ Crazy long post session computer shutdown.. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391598)

gavin.g 06-08-2017 06:22 AM

PT12.7.1 sluggish GUI over time+ Crazy long post session computer shutdown..

Hi Folks,

I am new here having just returned to PT after a long break

I know this is a well documented issue and I have done all suggested PT/Mac fixes and optimisations... to no avail... So I am sorry to drag an old dog back through the woods... But.. Hoping there is an update to this issue!!

I am mostly mastering in PT at the mo... a fairly basic set up comparatively.. 2-3 audio tracks, M/S config using 2-3 busses and MSED, with 1-2 I/O inserts for hardware gear.

On this system:

Protools 12.7.1.733
Mac pro early 2009 2x2.66... 12gb ram.. OS 10.11.6 (I know.. probably the cause)
Lynx Aes16e x 2.. Lynx Aurora x2 (latest drivers and firmware)

Problem:

On session start everything works fine. Smooth Graphics, great performance, no sonic glitches.. all cool.

Over time... say after 1-2hrs, despite saving closing and loading / creating new sessions, or shutting down and then rebooting PT...

I get a progressiviely worsening GUI Lag... 2 second lag pressing play and stop... in fact a roughly 1-2 second lag on pretty much every mouse function... meter resolution goes to shyte, making accurate reading next to impossible, less so with scope gui's .. but still lagging..

And the worst bit... at the end of a session.. even after 1-2 hrs... when I shut down the computer (or restart - makes no difference) it takes a monumental 20-30 minutes to shutdown!!!

Yes I can force shutdown holding the mac button... and it reboots with all the usual 'improperly shutdown' warnings.

If I boot up the mac and work in other daws, or any other programs I use regularly... and then shut down the computer... regardless of how long I have been working the mac takes the usual 15 odd seconds to shut down.

Is there a fix for this - that does NOT involve going back to 10.10... and my mac does not support Sierra... Most of the posts I have found on this are a year old or so.

many thanks in advance :)

Gavin.

JFreak 06-08-2017 06:29 AM

Re: PT12.7.1 sluggish GUI over time+ Crazy long post session computer shutdown..

Get rid of that ElCrap

gavin.g 06-08-2017 06:31 AM

Re: PT12.7.1 sluggish GUI over time+ Crazy long post session computer shutdown..

Right... Then my mac won't run the version of Logic I am using... which I use for all my writing... and then mix in Protools... Not much good for me... and the reason I went to 10.11...

Is there really no other fix?

JFreak 06-08-2017 06:34 AM

First of all, welcome to the community :)

Second, as far as PT is concerned, you should avoid ElCrap at all cost.

Can you bear that burden?

gavin.g 06-08-2017 06:50 AM

Well... I suppose if I do a return to 10.10, fresh install...
including reverting to an earlier - much more buggy version of Logic, and re install approx 573 plugins along with a ton of other progs, drivers and revert to earlier firmware on my Lynx's,which I am not sure is possible, or wise....

But it is possible... but a time consuming nightmare.... and seemingly 'out of proportion' for a well documented issue that one would hope could be addressed by the software developers that have your money ;)

So I am really trying to exhaust all possibilities before resorting to the above!

Thanks,

Gavin.

Panacci 06-08-2017 07:35 AM

Do the 4.1 to 5.1 firmware upgrade, then install Sierra. I did that with my 2009 Mac. All is well with Sierra

gavin.g 06-10-2017 06:25 AM

Thanks panacci,

Did all of that, 5.1 firmware & up to Sierra, without a hitch... So far, fingers crossed, seems all better with PT... Thanks for the nudge ;)

G.

Good way to get distracted from... and consequently ignore... The UK Election shambles :) :)

gavin.g 06-13-2017 04:30 AM

Hi Folks,

Well.. .Sadly... After using on some lengthy 'proper' sessions, my graphics lag problem is still there though taking slightly longer to show.. and building up over time, despite doing the 5.1 firmware upgrade and going up to Sierra. I also have the ridiculous shut down time (15-20 min... a little less than before.. but ..well) after a protools session.
FYI, if I run logic all day on a full session there are no graphics issues and the computer shuts down in seconds... So this has to be a protools problem... my hunch is a cache/refresh queue is backing up and getting clogged... and it is taking the OS forever to clear it before sgutdown.. I have the circling shutdown graphic running the whole time it is trying to shut down... just a hunch.. .but I am no programmer....

The Firmware install and OS upgrade (10.12.5) went seemlessly, and I have gone back and rechecked all optimisations recommended for protools (12.7.1)

Not much point starting a support ticket... I think they will just tell me my mac is not officially supported by PT 12.7.1