Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I need to split midi track per channel (Tracks) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=228318)

Top Jimmy 09-18-2008 04:34 PM

Re: I need to split midi track per channel (Tracks)

Importing a type 0 midi file into Pro Tools will break the channels out into individual tracks.

Your claim that you recorded numerous channels into 1 midi track in Pro Tools is false. You recorded data from numerous channels into 1 channel. Pro Tools does not record more than 1 channel per track.

If you want to do what you want to do, then you need to create as many midi tracks in Pro Tools as you want, and assign the individual channels as the inputs of these tracks. Then you record enable them all and stripe into Pro Tools as much midi as your flying fingers can create.

andre67 09-19-2008 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1284361)
Importing a type 0 midi file into Pro Tools will break the channels out into individual tracks.

Your claim that you recorded numerous channels into 1 midi track in Pro Tools is false. You recorded data from numerous channels into 1 channel. Pro Tools does not record more than 1 channel per track.

If you want to do what you want to do, then you need to create as many midi tracks in Pro Tools as you want, and assign the individual channels as the inputs of these tracks. Then you record enable them all and stripe into Pro Tools as much midi as your flying fingers can create.

Well I am doing it, go try it you will see, create a midi track then select all ( midi channels) on the track instead selecting a single midi channel. This works I have done it and it works.:rolleyes:

Top Jimmy 09-19-2008 10:47 AM

Yes, when the input is set to omni, you will record all the data regardless of which of the 16 midi channels it is on. But, what you are not understanding is that Pro Tools does not record more than one channel per track. All 16 channels will be combined to 1 channel. Once you've recorded 16 channels of midi data to a single midi track in Pro Tools, you cannot split it back out again. No way, no how. If you want to record all 16 channels of midi data, you must create 16 tracks and set their inputs to the individual midi channels, not omni.

andre67 10-02-2008 02:32 PM

I was looking at Secrets of the Pros by Ken Walden videos and came across the midi editing which I have mention herein my communications, which clearly show that it was indeed possible to do the midi editing which I have mentioned in PTS v7.1 could do, the videos poof my point so I have not imagine the whole thing. Which one cannot do in PTS v7.3.1 anymore.:eek:

filosofem 10-02-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andre67 (Post 1288690)
I was looking at Secrets of the Pros by Ken Walden videos and came across the midi editing which I have mention herein my communications, which clearly show that it was indeed possible to do the midi editing which I have mentioned in PTS v7.1

Which Volume andre67?

filosofem

ThunderKyss 12-04-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1284578)
Yes, when the input is set to omni, you will record all the data regardless of which of the 16 midi channels it is on. But, what you are not understanding is that Pro Tools does not record more than one channel per track. All 16 channels will be combined to 1 channel. Once you've recorded 16 channels of midi data to a single midi track in Pro Tools, you cannot split it back out again. No way, no how. If you want to record all 16 channels of midi data, you must create 16 tracks and set their inputs to the individual midi channels, not omni.

Old thread.... complements of the search function. I agree with Andre, this is stupid.

I recorded a ditty in my Fantom.. figured instead of messing with saving the midi file, then transfering it to my computer, then importing it in Pro Tools, I would just record the midi events in real time. Then split it when I get to pro tools.

I can do this with Sonar. I can do this with Cubase. It is pretty basic.

inquisitive 01-11-2010 12:10 PM

How does one assign a patch (specifically grand piano sound) to one channel output and then a different patch (specifically organ) to another channel output all in the same track? Then When I look at the session months from now, how do I know which patches were assigned to each channel in the same track?

Also, when I control click (osx), sometimes I get the + sign on the midi output that allows me to have more than one channel out but at other times it doesn't work. Any ideas as to why?