Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Storage Subsystems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Playback and Record Volume messages - read this! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=134370)

DigiTechSupt 04-14-2005 10:24 AM

Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

If you are receiving any errors regarding drives not being suitable for playback or not being an audio record volume, try the following:

In Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and select 'Show Workspace'. In the Workspace window you will see a list of your drives on the left and to the right of each drive will be an 'A'(for Audio) and a 'V'(for Video) column. Under the 'A' column next to your drive it will probably have a 'T'(for Transfer) or 'P'(for Playback) - click on the 'T' or 'P' and, from the drop down list, choose 'Record'.

You should now be able to open, play and record in your session as normal.

If you're drive will not change to a Record volume, you may need to reformat the drive.

On Mac OSX - use the Disk Utility to reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended.

On WinXP - Right click on the drive in the browser and select 'Format'. File system should be NTFS and you can use the quick format option. All other settings can remain at their defaults.

urumita 04-19-2005 03:28 AM

Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read this!

Does this apply to SNS SAN AV systems also, and before I move a whole project off of these drives, can you assure me that reformatting them will solve my problem.
Why is my DUC log-in not recognized by the MAC OS TDM forum and recognized on the other forums?
I have a serious problem that I need to fix!!!

DigiTechSupt 04-21-2005 10:51 AM

Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read thi

SAN drives are not tested or qualified for use with Pro Tools.

Pete D 05-21-2005 03:04 AM

I assume reformatting the drive in OSX will require reloading the operating system?
Is this correct?

Pete D 05-21-2005 04:54 AM

Okay - I now have a external firewire 250Gb drive which I have formatted as mentioned above but still I am not able to change the drive to an audio volume!
I am running on TIGER with PT6.9 but everything else seems to work OK except setting an Audio Volume on a drive.

Anyone got any ideas?

Pete

doctorsunshine 05-21-2005 07:29 AM

Quote:

Okay - I now have a external firewire 250Gb drive which I have formatted as mentioned above but still I am not able to change the drive to an audio volume!
I am running on TIGER with PT6.9 but everything else seems to work OK except setting an Audio Volume on a drive.

Anyone got any ideas?

Pete

Yes , i just see a little problem : TIGER !!

Pro tools can't run for the moment on TIGER . Wait for the update.

Best regards,

jerome

Pete D 05-21-2005 11:16 AM

OK OK I now know that I was wrong to buy a new MAC!!!!

I have just spent around £4000 on a system that does not work and all I hear from Digi is "we told you so"......
But the "told you so" was in small print buried in a locked cupboards protected by Panthers (pun intended).

So I have to wait until Digi can be bothered to release the patch for Tiger - no news about how that is coming along I notice.

Sad thing is I installed Pro Tools on a borrowed Dell PC and it works - even with office etc etc loaded. Kinda makes me think I should ditch the MAC and go Windows XP.

A dis-allusioned new Digi customer

doctorsunshine 05-21-2005 03:56 PM

Quote:

OK OK I now know that I was wrong to buy a new MAC!!!!

I have just spent around £4000 on a system that does not work and all I hear from Digi is "we told you so"......
But the "told you so" was in small print buried in a locked cupboards protected by Panthers (pun intended).

So I have to wait until Digi can be bothered to release the patch for Tiger - no news about how that is coming along I notice.

Sad thing is I installed Pro Tools on a borrowed Dell PC and it works - even with office etc etc loaded. Kinda makes me think I should ditch the MAC and go Windows XP.

A dis-allusioned new Digi customer

if you have a look on the mac section of this forum, you'll see there are some guys who were able to install panther on their new G5.... just make a search about it, there is a solution.

Jerome

Pete D 05-22-2005 06:24 AM

WARNING to anyone thinking of buying a new Digi system with a new MAC - DON'T DO IT until the update for Tiger is out.

I have just bought OSX 10.3 to load onto my new Powerbook and it won't allow you to load an older operating system. I even reformatted the hard drive so there was nothing on it and the installation crashes before it gets close to loading.

I guess I have no choice but to turn down the work I have lined up whilst I sit back and sit my finger up my **** whilst I wait for the Tiger update to be released.

I know (well hope) that in 6 months I will have a working system but right now I am really angry with both Digidesign and Apple. I cannot get a new MAC from Apple with Panther and I cannot get working software from Digidesign so my advise is NOBODY buy anything from Digidesign until they release the update or you won't be able to use it!.

Right Rant over I m going to borrow a PC and use that instead! (at least it works of sorts!)

doctorsunshine 05-22-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

WARNING to anyone thinking of buying a new Digi system with a new MAC - DON'T DO IT until the update for Tiger is out.

I have just bought OSX 10.3 to load onto my new Powerbook and it won't allow you to load an older operating system. I even reformatted the hard drive so there was nothing on it and the installation crashes before it gets close to loading.

I guess I have no choice but to turn down the work I have lined up whilst I sit back and sit my finger up my **** whilst I wait for the Tiger update to be released.

I know (well hope) that in 6 months I will have a working system but right now I am really angry with both Digidesign and Apple. I cannot get a new MAC from Apple with Panther and I cannot get working software from Digidesign so my advise is NOBODY buy anything from Digidesign until they release the update or you won't be able to use it!.

Right Rant over I m going to borrow a PC and use that instead! (at least it works of sorts!)

The solution is to boot your new mac from an external firewire drive, on which you can have panther OS installed.Then you can clone your external drive to the internal one. You can use Carbon copy cloner for that, and it works.

You can't blame digidesign for being late to have a tiger-compatible software, as they receive their new macs the same day as they become avaiable on the apple store, that is to say the same day as averyone can buy it. How do you want them to release a new pro tools software two days later ?
According to me , apple is to blame, since they prevent to install a compatible and working os on the news macs, and so it's a just a limitation in a marketing purpose.

Jerome

Pete D 05-22-2005 02:31 PM

The solution is to boot your new mac from an external firewire drive, on which you can havepanther OS installed.Then you can clone your external drive to the internal one. You can use Carbon copy cloner for that, and it works.

Unquote.

This can not be done - I have tried but either the firmware or the hardware will not allow booting from Panther.

I specifiaclly went out today and bought a copy of Panther to do just this. I tried to load Panther onto an external firewire HD and there is no option to do this. So then I loaded Tiger onto the external HD and rebooted. This then allowed me to reformat the internal HD so there was no Operating system on it in any shape or form.
Then I disconnected the External HD - put in the Panter installation disk 1 and it tells me to reboot. When you do the MAC crashes with a "Panic" message and hangs the system.

I do blame both Apple and Digidesign. I have spent £4k ($7.6K)on a system that I was told would work seamlessly and was the industry standard. Instead I have a pile of junk that is less use than a chocolate fireguard.

I can accept that things will get better but can you compensate me for the demo CD I am supposed to record in 2 weeks. Will Appple or Digidesign compensate me for the loss of income?
Have Digidesign ever given any more specific information about the patch for Tiger other than 8 - 10 weeks?

My final solution is to return to the system that I previosly considered which is a PC running Cubase SX connected to a MOTU. Maybe not industry standard but at least it works. Unfortunately the band I have signed up ready to go need the recording in Pro Tools so I cannot use that for this band but let other potential purchasers be aware that there are plausiable options to a chocolate fireguard.

doctorsunshine 05-22-2005 03:33 PM

You can't run the panther installer on a new mac generation. What you have got to do is to install the system on an external drive from a panther compatible mac, or clone an existing one. After that, connecting your installed external drive on your new mac, you'll be able to boot on it with the Alt-key on startup.

(seems to be that it only works with 10.3.8 or 10.3.9 version. take care of updating it before plugging it to your new mac).

When you 're sure it works, then use carbon copy to clone your external drive to the internal one.

Best regards,

Jerome

Pete D 05-23-2005 10:03 AM

Ok - Now I know how you came by your screen name!
Firstly I want to say a really big THANK YOU to Doctor Sunshine.

For the benifit of other users I have listed a detailed description of how to cure the problem.

1. Borrow another MAC which has Panther
2. Load a new copy of Panther onto an external HD by inserting the installation CD into the borrowed MAC and setting the destination drive to the external HD.
3. Boot up by holding the ALT key whilst powering up to choose to boot from the external drive.
4. Then update to 10.3.9 using software update from the Apple menu on the borrowed MAC.
5. Remove the external HD and connect to your new MAC.
6. Power up with the Alt key down again to boot from the external HD on the new MAC and install Protools onto the external drive.
7: It should now work, the external drive will be your system drive, holding OSX (10.3.9) and Pro Tools & the internal HD will be your audio Drive. Remember to hold ALT every time you power up so you can boot from the external HD, this should do at least till the tiger update is available...Good Luck!

If anyone wants more detailed info on what we did send us a private message and we will contact you off list.

I am still very disappointed with the response from Digidesign - basiclly all they have told us is that they have not received our faxed registration and that they told us it would not work and that we should wait for the Tiger update.

It would not have taken them much effort to post the above information somewhere so all their new customers would not find themselves in the extremely frustrating position that we found ourselves in.

The fact remains that you cannot buy a new MAC with anything other than Tiger so if anyone is considering buying a new Digi system and they do not have access to an old MAC ..... DONT DO IT.
Wait 12 - 16 weeks for the patch to be released and sorted before you part with your money.

Jerome I owe you a beer at the very least.

Pete

Mano 10-04-2005 02:35 PM

You mean OSX extended or OSX extended( journaled)

gottajiboo2005 11-23-2005 01:07 PM

Is it possible to use a FAT32 formatted disk as an audio volume? It works fine on a PC. What's with Mac?

It's a 200 GB Rocstor A/V 800 drive if that makes a difference.

gottajiboo2005 11-23-2005 01:07 PM

Is it possible to use a FAT32 formatted disk as an audio volume? It works fine on a PC. What's with Mac?

It's a 200 GB Rocstor A/V 800 drive if that makes a difference.

tommyj1112 01-21-2006 05:17 PM

Is there anyway to do this running ProTools 5.3.2 under MacOS 9.2.2? The "Show Workspace" command is not an option?

Essentially, I am trying to run my 002 on an older G4 and use a Firewire HD. I can play from it, mix from it, even process tracks using AudioSuite plugins to it, but I can't seem to actually record to it. So I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas you have would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Tom

JosephGingles 01-28-2006 07:45 PM

What external harddrives are compatible with pro tools LE 6.7 on a windows xp setup?
I was lead to beleive that because I am using a 2.0 usb hub that my options were more open. I need some advice.
joe gingles

spy2520 02-19-2006 05:45 AM

i have done this, and have not been succesful, i have several drives and protools 7 only wants me to use my system drive as an audio record/playback drive. are there any more solutions for win xp pro? i am using a SATA1, SATA2, and a PATA drive and it will allow one partition on the SATA2 drive to be used.

avaldes 03-25-2006 12:44 PM

Brand new LaCie D2 250 GB, erased and re-formatted Mac OS Extended before doing anything else to the disk, comes up as type "R" in the workspace window. I am relieved because of the posts to this board I had feared I would not be able to get it to work. For this model, formating before doing anything else, success.

I hope to be able to take projects from this disk to the Intel Mac I plan to purchase this summer (and of course hope PT LE runs on Intel Mac by that time).

PTLE 7.1, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Jason Us 09-01-2006 07:34 PM

I have a IBM PC P4, windows XP Sp 2, 3GHZ, 2GB Ram.

I just installed a new 400GB SATA HD and am experiencin the very problem you speak of. In the Workspace, when I try to change from Transfer to Playback or Record I get the folowing message " 'DRIVE' cannot be designated as an Audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume.

I reformated it (NTFS) qith quick format - no luck.

I tried a long format - also no luck.

What should I try now?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jason
[email protected]

Molly 09-08-2006 12:56 PM

My drive is unsuitable for audio playback -- as is my external boot drive on a LaCie 250 GB -- only when I start up off the PB hard disk. When I start up off the external boot, it works fine.

My drive has been reformatted to Mac OS Extended (journaled). The LaCie partitioned drive is Extended/Journaled too.

I cannot, when I show the workspace, fix the P, T, A problem -- it won't let me tell it that the drive is in fact suitable for audio playback.

I have already wiped my hard drive once this week to fix this problem - it didn't fix. Can anyone explain to me why? anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Molly

dsampson 09-09-2006 09:31 AM

I just bought a new external Western Digital 250G USB/Firewire drive and ran into the DAE error -9131 as well. I managed to get around it on a MacBook by reformatting the drive.

Turns out, it matters which format option you choose when you erase/format the disk. The first time (and when I got the error) I set it to "Mac OS Extended (case sensitive)". PTs had the volume marked as "R" for both audio and video, but it generated the error.

When I re-formatted and chose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", the volume was still marked as "R" in both options, but now my imported audio files would play.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this helps.

dave

DMK360 09-16-2006 02:37 PM

Hi,
I tried the above Workplace suggestion along with reformatting my 250 gb Acom Data firewire drive (sucky drive) but I still get the same "not an audio playback/recording volume" message. Only last week however, I was able to achieve playback from the same drive, but for some reason today I had this problem.

I was curious though, is it because I am running LE 7.1.1 on a new MacPro (desktop) OS 10.4.7 platform?

Are the MacPros not compatible with Pro Tools LE yet, just the MacBook Pros? If this is the case, why was I able to achieve playback before?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DMK

aight 02-08-2007 06:27 AM

I just bought a mac Mini everything seems to be running good my only problem as of now I am running my Lacie D2 hard drive to the Mac via USB due to the Mac Mini only having 1 firewire input and everytime I boucne a session the bounce keeps stoping and giving me a message: Cant get audio from drive fast enough.. something about the bandwidth or CPU load ( -9073 )

do I have to get a firewire hub or is there another way to daisy chain or somthing..Help!!

bradch00 02-08-2007 11:35 AM

I'm not 100% sure this works, but it's worth a shot (make sure you can take the drive back if it doesn't). You could try a Glyph GT050 which would act as a bridge as well as a drive.

P.Jay 03-15-2007 05:36 PM

Hi,
I'm a Powerbook G4 user running PT Le 7.1 on OSX 10.4.8 and I decided to set a RAID 1 configuration.
A mirror image was then created but uncapable of playing back or record whatsoever.
Although I had a closer look for the whole forum, tried several options, from un-mounting the RAID set config and format my HDs; Lacie HD FW800 and Western Digital USB( which each one of them play and record perfectly well as individual ones) set a new RAID config, went in the workspace, tried to change to record... nop, no success!
Any thoughts?

What else should I try?

I'm also a Logic Pro user and the config works just fine, I can rec/play and do whatever I need...but not in my beloved PT

Thank you for your time

Pedro

mashedmeat 03-18-2007 02:45 PM

Sorry, no raid.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=23140

"Hard Drive Requirements

...Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives..."

notlim71 05-21-2007 08:35 AM

I've tried changing my external HD firewire drive from 'T' to 'R' and it keeps giving me the same error message that the drive "cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio volume."

I've been working on a 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac running Mac OS 10.4.9 and Pro Tools 7.0 for the past 8 months or so and it never gave me any problems. Now all of a sudden, NOTHING works!!

The external drive is a StorCase Rhino Jr. Firewire 800 (250GB capacity)

I've checked the drive and it seems to be formated correctly (Mac OS extended [journaled])

Is reformatting the external drive worth my while? I've read some posts in here from people who tried just that and it didn't make a difference...

liveto1 08-25-2007 06:23 PM

I'm running 6.9.2 on a G4 (OS 10.4.10) and my firewire drive works great. I tried installing the same PT 6.9.2 on my new Macbook Pro also 10.4.10 and I am getting the error

"The drive cannot be designated as an Audio playback/recording volume because this is not a valid audio volume in Pro Tools on OS X."

I tried all the stuff on the digidesign page (and that I've found on here) and I am unable to change the A column to R.

My external drive runs fine on the G4 but not on the Macbook the fact that they have the same OS.

I've tried changing T to R. It won't go.
I've tried trashing the preferences and user files (occasionally needed even on the G4).
I've tried reformating/renaming the drive.
I've tried a sacrifice to the pro tools gods and nothings seems to work.

I thought maybe there was a problem with a drive but it still works fine on the g4, just not on the MacBook Pro.

Any ideas?

The drive is a Maxtor 400 speed 80GB firewire drive. Formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

righton041 08-27-2007 05:02 AM

Try trashing the Digidesign Databases on the offending drive. Worked for me.

Jenk2k 09-07-2007 07:01 AM

I had this exact same problem when taking my sessions from windows machine to a mac machine and I about came unglued. The drive works wonderfully and can be browsed by any machine I hook it up to, but when it comes to running a session on it, Pro tools on the MAC G4 won't do it. I do notice that you cannot change the status of the drive from read-only to record. The options are grayed out. I've tried all of the above including trashing Digi preferences with no solution. It is a properly formatted NTFS Drive. Any other suggestions?

GWW 02-06-2008 11:32 AM

Did this issue ever get resolved?? I am having the same problem getting this:
"cannot be designated as an Audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume" pro tools LE 7.

I bought a new hard drive so I could run Tiger instead of Leopard. But now it still won't record on the drive. It will only keep it as a Transfer. Did this issue ever get figured out? My drive is a SATA 300. I am running on a MacPro.

GWW 02-06-2008 11:41 AM

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same problem:
"cannot be designated as an Audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume"
I would love any feedback you may have. thankyou

DigiTechSupt 02-06-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

"cannot be designated as an Audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume"

You need Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 or higher for compatibility with an Intel Mac.

penagihkopi 02-12-2008 01:37 PM

Playback and Record Volume problem and no sound on speakers

Hi Digi,

I have a Power Mac G5, MAC OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) RAID set 7 (2 HDDs). I just got my MBox 2 Mini Studio Bundle and have come across two problems.

1. Pro Tools does not support RAID technology - I understand that. But how do I remove RAID? Also, I've read that removing RAID will cause me to lose all data on my Hard Drive. What are my options? Should I get an external HDD? Which ones would be the most compatible? Also, does a CD-R or DVD-R work to be an audio record volume?

2. Since i clean uninstalled Pro Tools LE and installed it again (as I was trying to figure out what was wrong in issue #1), now my speakers (M-Audio BX5A) have no sound regardless of what I am trying to play. I double checked the Mbox 2 Mini set up and my system preference is all in order according to the Guide but still there's no sound when I try to play music on iTunes or anything.

PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS!

MK25toLife 03-21-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.0 on an Intel Mac, you're telling me this won't work? I am getting the same error message as everyone else. Please help!

MK25toLife 03-21-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.0 on an Intel Mac, you're telling me this won't work? I am getting the same error message as everyone else. Please help!

DigiTechSupt 03-21-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure how to possibly make it any more clear. You need 7.1.1 or higher for this to work on an Intel based Mac. You should do a clean uninstall of 7.0, then download and install 7.1.1 from our website.

oddsine 10-28-2008 05:18 AM

Hi folks,

So, the answer is that the pro tools working only with basic drives not dynamic.
It means that you should convert your dynamic Hard Drive to Basic.
How to do it?

1. Go to Start\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.
2. In the Computer Management window click on Disk Management.
3. Check the drives 0.1.2 etc. where its says Basic or Dynamic.
4. Back up all volumes on the disk you want to convert from dynamic to
basic.
5. Right-click each volume on the dynamic disk you want to convert to a
basic disk, and then click Delete Volume for each volume on the disk.
6. When all volumes on the disk have been deleted, right-click the disk, and
then click Convert To Basic Disk.
7. The disk must not have any volumes nor contain any data before you can
change it back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, back it up
or move it to another volume before you convert the disk to a basic disk.
8. Once you change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk, you can create only
partitions and logical drives on that disk.

From now on your huge brand new HD will work with Pro Tools! :D

Good luck!!!