Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   It's Official--Mac Six (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408296)

wizardofvoz 02-01-2020 12:19 AM

It's Official--Mac Six

I am an absolute believer that Mac is infinitely better than PC. My 2012 Macbook Pro is still functioning flawlessly, BUT, my 2012 Mac Pro (Cheese Grater) is now acting like a PC, requiring numerous re-boots in order to keep funtioning (Pro Tools). Apple has always been an an overtly arrogant entity, but they have now taken that arrogance to its height. The "mid-grade" user like me has been completely abandoned in favor of iPhones and iPads. The new Macs START at about $5k for the lowest model. Are you KIDDING me??? A buddy of mine (PC guy) told me about three years ago that Mac was "on its way out." I didn't believe it. I do now. Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

JFreak 02-01-2020 01:28 AM

Re: It's Official--Mac Six

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizardofvoz (Post 2552887)
Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

I wouldn't brag about it. There are good PC builds and then there are Dell crap.

Meads 02-01-2020 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2552891)
I wouldn't brag about it. There are good PC builds and then there are Dell crap.

They make decent screens, though.

Apple does have entry level machines that work fine with PT for way less than 5 grand.
If OP is talking about the new MacPro - it's not meant for you if you cannot afford it. And you probably don't even need it. You can do plenty with an iMac or a MacMini even.

Southsidemusic 02-01-2020 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2552893)
They make decent screens, though.

Apple does have entry level machines that work fine with PT for way less than 5 grand.
If OP is talking about the new MacPro - it's not meant for you if you cannot afford it. And you probably don't even need it. You can do plenty with an iMac or a MacMini even.

Agree 100% with this. There are plenty good Macs for around 2-3K new and leds for a very capable mac mini i7 with 32gb ram and ssd.

The new Mac Pro’s we got friday was almost the same amount as a nice sportscar and one could argue thats insane but we work and live off music and can write off those badboys within 24-36 months and they pay for themselves within 2 placed songs so for us it made sense but as Meads said if you cant arford them they are not the ones for you. Plenty great options for mid level guys as you described yourself.

Remember the trashcans were over 5K and they sold quite a few to studios around the world even if those of us who had them Had to do some additional purchases to get cards etc to connect but those extra costs are not involved with the new Mac Pro so one could say that they are even cheaper for the entry level since we dont need external PCIe cabinets and such.

EGS 02-01-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

I am an absolute believer that Mac is infinitely better than PC...

yawn...

musicman691 02-01-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

I am an absolute believer that Mac is infinitely better than PC. My 2012 Macbook Pro is still functioning flawlessly, BUT, my 2012 Mac Pro (Cheese Grater) is now acting like a PC, requiring numerous re-boots in order to keep funtioning (Pro Tools). Apple has always been an an overtly arrogant entity, but they have now taken that arrogance to its height. The "mid-grade" user like me has been completely abandoned in favor of iPhones and iPads. The new Macs START at about $5k for the lowest model. Are you KIDDING me??? A buddy of mine (PC guy) told me about three years ago that Mac was "on its way out." I didn't believe it. I do now. Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

When is the last time you opened up the case and cleaned out the rampant dust bunnies? Apple in their infinite stupidity did NOT put a filter on the front of the case where outside air gets sucked in. Open up the case, clean them bunnies out, reseat the cards and any connectors, close up the case and restart that 'grater. I do mine at least once a year.

You might want to look into getting a third party refurb. My 2012 cheesegrater came from OWC but I think they're out of them. Take a look at iPowerResale at https://ipowerresale.com/browse-mac-pro/

Meads 02-01-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2552906)
The new Mac Pro’s we got friday was almost the same amount as a nice sportscar and one could argue thats insane but we work and live off music and can write off those badboys within 24-36 months and they pay for themselves within 2 placed songs so for us it made sense but as Meads said if you cant arford them they are not the ones for you. Plenty great options for mid level guys as you described yourself.

In fact that's the reason why I'm contemplating getting one myself - would be a nice tax write-off and I sure could put it to good use.

Thing is, right now my most beefy rig is a 8-Core i9 9900KF Hackintosh oc'd to 5.1GHZ on all cores. This thing is really fast, and I'm wondering, if a Mac Pro (aiming at the 16-core) would be a downgrade or not when it comes to PT performance.
I wish, someone could answer that question but I guess I'll have to find that out myself somehow. :o

JFreak 02-02-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2552930)
This thing is really fast, and I'm wondering, if a Mac Pro (aiming at the 16-core) would be a downgrade or not when it comes to PT performance.

If it would be such a disappointment, you can always donate the sluggish bastard to me -- I can find a good use for my current 2013 Trashcan somewhere else :D:D:D

Meads 02-02-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2552981)
If it would be such a disappointment, you can always donate the sluggish bastard to me -- I can find a good use for my current 2013 Trashcan somewhere else :D:D:D

Let me think about it. :D

crizdee 02-02-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Hi,

My 2012 cheese grater upgraded to 12 core 3.4 (24 virtual cores) is on 6 days a week and doesn’t miss a beat and totally silent.

I’ve never looked at a PC for a DAW so can’t comment on that side but I do have PCs for net and email and have huge problems every time windows updates and that puts me off going further into PCs. One update bricked my studio PC and the recent update stopped folder sharing from working and nothing worked getting it to work again and this sort of stuff really annoys me. And there’s no option to turn updates off completely.

Chris