Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Adjusting automation volume by 1dB in PT 10 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=324917)

cristol2k 07-02-2012 09:40 PM

Adjusting automation volume by 1dB in PT 10

New to Pro Tools, I am not finding a solution to this in Pro Tools Help, the knowledge base or the DUC forums: When mixing, when I have selected the entire graphical automation volume line for one track, for the length of the song, and want to lower or raise the volume of the entire track (all breakpoints) by 1dB, the line will only move in 2dB increments no matter how slightly I move the mouse with the Trim tool. Alternatively, when I try to use the pop-up Vol fader on that track in the I/O panel, the value changes there but it doesn't seem to affect the automation gain. There must be some way to achieve a 1dB volume change? Seems like this would have been in the documentation; sorry if I missed it.
Many thanks.

PT 10.0.1
OS X 10.6.8

JKD99 07-02-2012 10:22 PM

Re: Adjusting automation volume by 1dB in PT 10

Hold down Control, and/or increase the track height to give you the resolution you need....all the way to 0.1dB increments.

Meads 07-03-2012 07:39 AM

It's not control, but command. :cool:

The Weed 07-03-2012 09:27 AM

And there's no need to highlight the nodes, just go past the last automation node on the track, get the upside down rectangle, hold down Command, left click and slowly lower the track 0.1 db at a time. As long as you go past the last node on the track to do this, all the nodes will lower together.

Cheers,

JKD99 07-03-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks Meads!
One of those things in PT I've done a thousand times without looking but can't explain it to anyone else, LOL :)

albee1952 07-03-2012 04:32 PM

Command on a Mac, Ctrl on a PC. That engages "fine" mode so you can make changes in .1db increments

Meads 07-03-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKD99 (Post 1945522)
Thanks Meads!
One of those things in PT I've done a thousand times without looking but can't explain it to anyone else, LOL :)

I feel you. Everytime I'm asked about a shortcut, not sitting at a keyboard that moment, makes me look like a jerk. :D

cristol2k 07-05-2012 10:15 PM

I was away for a couple of days but just want to thank you all for straightening me out on this. Really appreciate that! Awesome solution; good to go now.

[email protected] 01-12-2018 05:26 AM

Ctrl also works to slow-drag a range of nodes. The trick is, you have to press ctrl (sorry, windows guy) after you click above the curve. If you hold ctrl before you click, it turns the tool into "insert a new node" mode. So Click, don't move, press ctrl, start moving. Works great.

Nice to see that shift does a time-constraint as well.

I'm on learning curve for multiple DAWs now coming from SONAR and filling my brain with all these nuances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 1945444)
And there's no need to highlight the nodes, just go past the last automation node on the track, get the upside down rectangle, hold down Command, left click and slowly lower the track 0.1 db at a time. As long as you go past the last node on the track to do this, all the nodes will lower together.

Cheers,

EGS 01-12-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 1945719)
I feel you. Everytime I'm asked about a shortcut, not sitting at a keyboard that moment, makes me look like a jerk. :D

Ha !!! Me too. Plus, I work on Mac and PC rigs, so I can never talk about shortcuts in any way that makes sense!!!