Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What happened to Indigo Virus? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411719)

itsjustmeee123 09-02-2020 02:06 PM

What happened to Indigo Virus?

I wonder why they appeared to drop that. I sure have a lot of older sessions with that VI.

Top Jimmy 09-02-2020 02:32 PM

Re: What happened to Indigo Virus?

The Virus and Virus Indigo plugins were strictly TDM. As such, they could only run on the TDM architecture. Goodbye TDM hardware, goodbye plugins.

I expect the reason they were never ported was because the work to rewrite the code from the ground up was viewed as being too enormous for any benefit.

Raoul23 09-02-2020 03:14 PM

What was the difference between virus and virus indigo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marsdy 09-02-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 (Post 2576613)
I wonder why they appeared to drop that. I sure have a lot of older sessions with that VI.

The TDM card had the exact same Motorola DSP chip as the earlier Virus synths. I believe the code for the hardware Virus and the plugin was pretty much identical. The plugin certainly sounded just as good as the Access Virus B I had at the time.

Then Avid moved to Texas Instruments chips with HDX and the Indigo Virus never got ported over. Too much work apparently.

DetroitT 09-20-2020 07:58 AM

So. A Mac G5 With pcix card Pro Tools HD 7-8 with plugin and I/O gives you a virus.
Did virus work with pcie hd cards?
Pcix in chassis didn’t work.

Apple changed to Intel back then.

Marsdy 09-20-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2578291)
So. A Mac G5 With pcix card Pro Tools HD 7-8 with plugin and I/O gives you a virus.
Did virus work with pcie hd cards?
Pcix in chassis didn’t work.

Apple changed to Intel back then.

It worked with the Accel PCIe cards. One downside was that it wouldn’t chip share so one instance hogged a whole chip. It sounded fantastic though. It was extremely well mapped to the C|24, so well that in some ways it was easier to program than the hardware virus that had a lot of parameters hidden away in menus. Really good to automate too.

Eric Lambert 09-24-2020 05:25 PM

I do miss the Virus. Not that one. I mean, yeah, I hope I *miss* the virus, but I miss Virus. It sounded great and was quick. Eating a whole chip did suck.

itsjustmeee123 11-06-2020 09:20 AM

Same here. Some of these virtual synths for me are just too complicated to tweak and find the parameters I’m looking for. After years of use, I had indigo virus down. I have yet to find another plug-in that will give me good basic analog sounds and somewhat easy to use. I grew up using a Memorymoog in my studio and I miss that simple yet very effective interface. I do have Synth Anthology 3 And love the way it sounds but I really would like to find a usable analog VI that I could easily use. I know there has to be a ton of them out there. Any suggestions?

Southsidemusic 11-06-2020 10:52 AM

There is nothing called an ”Analog VI” as all VI are digital!