Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Support/upgrade packages for crossgrades bought prior to the new system (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363692)

gazzerb 01-27-2015 05:56 PM

Support/upgrade packages for crossgrades bought prior to the new system

I crossgraded from PT Ex to PT 11 on Oct 9, 2014.

A couple of days later, the announcement was made of a very major reduction in cost of the crossgrade combined with additional upgrade cover until the end of 2015.

I'm sure that you understand that, given I had paid full price for the crossgrade, I was not happy given the timing since. if I had waited 2 days, I would have known about the upcoming huge discount on crossgrading - and, it appears, got extra benefits for the reduced cost!

I did enquire with Avid at the time about a grace period given the timing of my purchase, but got no reply, so it seems that those two days cost me dear.

However, my question concerns the support package (if any) that came with my (full price) crossgrade : there seems to be some confusion and the advice given by Avid ion its website s unclear on crossgrades, rather than 'new' purchases, prior to the revised system.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Q&popup=true#1

What I need to know is, did my crossgrade purchase come with 'standard support' and specifically, do I have upgrade/update cover for the new version of Pro Tools (12)?

If my purchase included a support package, until when am I covered for upgrades/updates - is it one year from purchase date or is it to the end of 2015?

If the crossgrade did not come with a support package, does this mean that I have to shell out even more money to upgrade to PT 12?

nst7 01-27-2015 07:10 PM

Re: Support/upgrade packages for crossgrades bought prior to the new system

Your license did not come with any support plan. You just have a perpetual license. So you will not get any upgrades or features they release. If you want that, you will need to pay $199 to get that.

By the end of this year you will need to get on the annual support plan anyway, or your license will be frozen at whatever it was (it will still work perpetually, but can not be upgraded). If you decide a few years from now you would like to upgrade, you will need to start over and buy a full new version of Protools for $899, or buy one of their hardware bundles that comes with Protools.

Or you can do the subscription method.

If you do decide to buy a full version of Protools (to get a new perpetual license), or buy a hardware bundle, you will then start this whole cycle over again, where once again you will be good for a year, and then have to get on a support plan, and so on.

gazzerb 01-28-2015 03:14 AM

So let me get this straight:

I paid £394.80 for a crossgrade on 9 October, 2014

The very next day (10 October, 2014) it was announced that exactly the same crossgrade would cost £156.00 - a third of the price I paid - AND would include a annual upgrade and support plan until 31 December 2015 (which includes a free upgrade to PT 12).

It appears that, should I want to upgrade to PT 12 I will have to pay an extra $199 (around £132) to buy a yearly support/upgrade contract.

Consequently, I will have to pay £526.80 for something that I could have got for £156 if I had waited a few hours before purchasing!

No grace period, no concessions for recent buyers, like it or lump it.

Talk about outrageous fortune!

KV626 01-28-2015 03:56 AM

I would try to contact Avid directly - hopefully they can work something out for you.

gazzerb 01-28-2015 04:10 AM

I have contacted Avid and they confirmed that, since I crossgraded a few hours before the announcement was made, I have no support plan.

I have written back to them asking if there is anything that they can offer me given the circumstances. I've not yet had a reply.