Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   More Gear? GAS (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405564)

DonaldM 07-09-2019 09:55 AM

More Gear? GAS

1 Attachment(s)
Not any of us, though, right? GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Attachment 11910

amagras 07-09-2019 05:32 PM

Re: More Gear? GAS

Can one have both? [emoji1787][emoji6]

albee1952 07-09-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2532327)
Can one have both? [emoji1787][emoji6]

No you're talking:p:p:p

Muddy-T 07-10-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2532296)

Let's not delude ourselves, the GAS is strong in all of us. I theorize (with my theorizing cap firmly on) that humans in general, and men in particular, have genetically built-in GAS. Evolution has left us with a strong desire to collect stuff, any stuff really, anything that'll give us an edge, improves our chances of survival, of reproduction.

Survival of the fittest after all is about who is best adapted to a particular environment. That nice stick you picked up may just turn out to be the perfect tool for knocking fruit from a tree. That lovely round stone that fits so perfectly in your hand may just be the thing to see off a competitor for the favors of a particularly interesting mate (male/female). That nice bunch of wood could be the difference between freezing to death or surviving another winter. You can never have too many bunches of wood.

It pays to collect stuff; you may not really need it now but you might need it later, at some point. Or not, but you should get it and keep it anyway. Waste not, want not.

GAS is primal, it resides in the mammalian part of our brain. Our beloved neo cortex, where rationality lives is weak and useless, resistance is futile.

But by George, I try! Each time I get 'The Urge' and that Gollem voice inside my head crows; "We wants it! We must have it!" I, Rational Man, asks; "But do I really need it? Does it fill a gap in my tool box? Is there anything I can do with this I can't do with the stuff I already have?".

And sometimes Rational Man wins the argument. No! I'd like a new cool looking studio chair but the (somewhat the worse for wear looking) one I got is actually fine. No! I'd like more IO's but I get by okay with what I got now.

Then again, at other times, Rational Man is like; Hmm, another analog tape echo plug. I've got like five already... Oh what the hell, it's just 29 bucks!

:D

T

tetonica 07-11-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Not any of us, though, right? GAS - Gear Acquisition SyndromeAttachment 11910

Earlier in life I did suffer of chronic GAS (even though I couldn't afford most things I wanted). In present time (after many years of GAS) I've learned to keep it simple and actually got rid of lots of gear. Creative work is more fulfilling when conquered with limited tools (but the right tools)!

DonaldM 07-11-2019 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2532456)
Earlier in life I did suffer of chronic GAS (even though I couldn't afford most things I wanted). In present time (after many years of GAS) I've learned to keep it simple and actually got rid of lots of gear. Creative work is more fulfilling when conquered with limited tools (but the right tools)!

That's pretty much where's I'm at these days.

TOM@METRO 07-11-2019 07:10 AM

Over this past year I have removed more than half of the plug-ins I own from the folder.

danander11 07-14-2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2532469)
Over this past year I have removed more than half of the plug-ins I own from the folder.

Too bad I missed that.. I would have bought one just for historical sake..

:D

(Howdy Tom! All's well I hope.)

xrekcor 07-14-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Attachment 11910

Usually cured when one acquires a wife....

Cowboy Bob 07-14-2019 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2532700)
usually cured when one acquires a wife....

Attachment 11918