Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Host processors...again (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367202)

Larry O 04-22-2015 06:57 AM

Host processors...again

I'm trying to wrap my head around settings on my system. In my little project studio I'm using PT 10.3.9 with an HP ProBook 4540s i7-3612QM 2.10 GHz 8 gig RAM 64-bit Win 7. Under Playback Engine my drop down for host processors shows 8. I'm seeing discussion that a rule of thumb is to use 1 less than total, but I've also seen reference that more than 4 showing may be deceiving. So should I exercise my "rule of thumb" here with 3 or 7? I fully understand not one size fits all, but if the answer is definitive to not acknowledge processors 5-8 I'd appreciate the guidance. Thanks.

TOM@METRO 04-22-2015 07:46 AM

Re: Host processors...again

"What is best" is still debatable. When I was on 10, I turned off Hyperthreading in the bios, and ran 3 processors in playback engine. This worked well here. Others have claimed better stability with other settings. So... Experiment a little.

amagras 05-02-2015 06:23 AM

I use 6 processors out of 8 at 99% of CPU if this helps you

jeam25 05-03-2015 11:41 AM

Hi

Im still using a Dual Core system and for some process i use 2 cores and for others 1... yess 1... with excellent results .. :-)

albee1952 05-03-2015 04:40 PM

Regardless of the advice on other systems, you really need to try the various configs as TOM mentioned. What works for one computer might be all wrong for the next one(and I can see no rhyme or reason). After reading about other folks using 1 less core(than all available), different % settings and Hyperthreading off or on, I tried all possible settings and found what delivered the best performance for me was NOT always the same as what others recommend:o

I tested with a large session and took note of the cpu meter(at the 64 buffer, just to push things) and whether the session would roll, uninterrupted, and took some notes(yep, with that old analog system of pencil and paper:D).

musicman691 05-04-2015 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2258964)
Regardless of the advice on other systems, you really need to try the various configs as TOM mentioned. What works for one computer might be all wrong for the next one(and I can see no rhyme or reason). After reading about other folks using 1 less core(than all available), different % settings and Hyperthreading off or on, I tried all possible settings and found what delivered the best performance for me was NOT always the same as what others recommend:o

I tested with a large session and took note of the cpu meter(at the 64 buffer, just to push things) and whether the session would roll, uninterrupted, and took some notes(yep, with that old analog system of pencil and paper:D).

Agreed. For instance when I was heavily using PT10 I did the experimentation like you did and found that oddly enough using 6 processors out of 8 showing gave me the best running and lowest cpu usage as shown in PT's cpu metering.