Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   No sound (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403651)

buddybean 03-07-2019 01:20 PM

No sound

Hi have downloaded Pro tools first. I'm working on a PC with windows 10.
I have never used pro tools before.
I have opened a project and imported an MP3 onto the timeline. When I press play the counter works, I can see the sound moving, but no sound is coming out thru my speakers or headphones.
I'm not using an interface as I am just working with existing MP3 files.
Any help would be good, happy to supply more info.
cheers

64GTOBOY 03-07-2019 02:37 PM

Re: No sound

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ro-Tools-First

buddybean 03-07-2019 05:35 PM

Hey thanks for that link. I have seen this before, but it does not explain how to solve the problem.
It says: "If you are using Windows you will need to use an ASIO driver for your on board audio on your PC. ASIO4All is a generic ASIO diver for windows machines".
Does this mean I need to download ASIO4All then I will start to hear the sound?
thanks

TOM@METRO 03-07-2019 06:21 PM

Yes. Download and install ASIO4All. You can then use your on-board sound.

buddybean 03-11-2019 11:04 AM

Thank you!

buddybean 03-12-2019 02:01 AM

Hi so now I have downloaded ASIO4All and there is no sound at all on the computer! It has somehow disabled the sound completely!
Any ideas? This is getting a little frustrating.

Southsidemusic 03-12-2019 08:39 AM

Launch PTF with the N key held down. When the popup appears choose Asio4all and let PTF finish loading. Then goto settings and i/o and press default on all tabs and see if that does it for you.

DonaldM 03-12-2019 01:54 PM

Pro Tools will accept ASIO4ALL as a valid ASIO driver. But, if you really want to get the most out of Pro Tools, even PT First, I would strongly recommend you look into getting a decent audio interface. It will make your audio recording life much easier! And things will sound better too.

No version of PT, not even PT First, is just "plug and play." There's a learning curve involved on a number of things. But the reward is being able to create better and better tracks. There are many helpful how to videos on You Tube. I heartily encourage you to find and watch several of them to get familiar with all that PTF can do. This is a good series to start with..

buddybean 03-14-2019 01:30 AM

Hey thanks for your suggestions.

I found that I once I had downloaded ASIO4All v2 again. I when into Setup and playback engine and found that I could set the playback engine to ASIO4all and I have sound in pro tools!
Which is great!
BUT I still have no sound on my computer anywhere else.
Any suggestions?

albee1952 03-14-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddybean (Post 2519142)
Hey thanks for your suggestions.

I found that I once I had downloaded ASIO4All v2 again. I when into Setup and playback engine and found that I could set the playback engine to ASIO4all and I have sound in pro tools!
Which is great!
BUT I still have no sound on my computer anywhere else.
Any suggestions?

Once again(for Windows users, anyway), its going to make your life much better if you bite the bullet and buy a "real" interface for Pro Tools use(Behringer, Presonus and Focusrite all have inexpensive choices). That way, you can set Windows to use the on-board sound card for its "Default Playback Device", your interface serves Pro Tools, only(which means you should have sound from everything).

Now if you are wishing to have all sounds come out of 1 set of speakers, that can be done in many ways, such as:
(BEST)-add a monitor/source switcher to your setup(love my Presonus Central Station)
(CHEAPEST)- feed both the interface outputs and the computer sound outputs to 2 sets of inputs on one of the many mini-mixers on the market(Behringer, Alto, Alesis, etc)and connect the mixer outputs to your monitors. You can get a mixer with enough inputs for around $40-50 these days(and the technology has gotten so good and so cheap that you'll be hard-pressed to hear anything bad with this, as long as you leave EQ knobs at flat and keep "gain staging" so nothing gets over-driven):o

buddybean 03-15-2019 03:05 AM

Thanks for your reply. I don't have the money to buy an interface at the moment, or for a while.

Are you saying that I have to buy an interface to be able to use PTF?

Why can I not set windows to use ASIO4ll. It seems crazy that PTF says it doesn't work on windows unless you download ASIO4ll then it disables the sound on everything else! None of the helpful getting started video show any of this. They say download and then get started.

thanks

junkgear 03-15-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddybean (Post 2519243)
Thanks for your reply. I don't have the money to buy an interface at the moment, or for a while.

Are you saying that I have to buy an interface to be able to use PTF?

Why can I not set windows to use ASIO4ll. It seems crazy that PTF says it doesn't work on windows unless you download ASIO4ll then it disables the sound on everything else! None of the helpful getting started video show any of this. They say download and then get started.

thanks

You can check the System Requirements for PTF, where it states you will need an ASIO complaint audio interface to use the software.

PTF does not need ASIO4ALL, but generally the built in sound device on a Windows system does not offer a ASIO driver and therefore can not be used with PTF. ASIO4ALL is simply a bridge that will allow you to use your non ASIO Windows driver and have it appear to audio programs as a ASIO device. This will definitely work, but is far from the best solution.

The fact that you can't get sound in Windows at this point is not the fault of PTF, but rather something in ASIO4ALL. I don't personally use it, so I can't comment on how to properly configure it or even if it allows multi use.

A dedicated audio interface will give you a much better experience all around. There are some very inexpensive ones these days, and a simple USB interface will free up your Windows sound card for Windows sounds, while the interface will be dedicated to PTF.

buddybean 03-17-2019 02:29 PM

Hey thank you this makes much more sense!

thanks again

Emcha_audio 03-17-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddybean (Post 2519441)
Hey thank you this makes much more sense!

thanks again

If you're on windows, you can install asio4all and just use your on board sound card. Or you can alternatively use the Windows audio device, but that option won't work with the video playback engine enabled. Wasapi (or windows audio device) is an option that was introduced with Pro tools 12.

Benoni has produced a video explaining how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3QSDz8k04

Also regarding Asio4all. If you have an internet browser open that is playing a video of any kind, even an add on a webpage, opened before pro tools, then that browser will prevent pro tools audio from going through. The same thin happens in reverse, if you have pro tools opened and then you open a browser, you won't hear any sound out of the browser. Unless there's no audio/video on the webpage you are looking at.

buddybean 03-27-2019 02:41 PM

Hi so just in case anyone has the same problem. I solved this by clicking on the ASIO4ll v2 icon in the windows menu found bottom left. An ASIO4ll v2 pop up appears. At the bottom on the right are two buttons. One is a spanner, which you can't activate the one to the left allows you to Set Default click this.
Then you are able to hear sound in pro tools first and when pro tools is not open the rest of the sound on the computer will work.
But if pro tool is open you can't hear sound on the computer.
Which is a little annoying as you can't watch a utube tutorial.

But at least you can use your computer normally when pro tools is not on.

Sweet hope this helps.

buddybean 05-23-2019 03:06 AM

Hi. I have brought an Behringer UMC22 interface. When I open my pro tool first session there is sound on my timeline, I can see it when its playing, but I can't here anything.
My playback in settings is set to the interface. Any thoughts on how to get pro tools to play thru my interface or even my speakers?

PatJo 05-25-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddybean (Post 2526848)
Hi. I have brought an Behringer UMC22 interface. When I open my pro tool first session there is sound on my timeline, I can see it when its playing, but I can't here anything.

My playback in settings is set to the interface. Any thoughts on how to get pro tools to play thru my interface or even my speakers?

When you say you want to play through your speakers OR interface, what do you mean? What are your speakers connected to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddybean 05-25-2019 02:13 AM

Hey.

I mean I have the choice to play the sound back either to my interface, which means I can hear it when I plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the interface. Or I set it to Realtek speakers which is what my windows 10 system uses. I have a set of speakers plugged in thru the audio jack in the back of the computer.

By the way I have gone thru this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0IoyeHUJ_0&t=3s

I have done what I could as PTF is a little different to PT. I couldn't check the dyn as this is not showing in PTF. I also could not do the Setup then I/O section as this is also not showing in PTF.

Any help would be great cheers,

PatJo 05-25-2019 10:12 AM

What have you got set up in Windows itself? What device is enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddybean 05-27-2019 02:18 AM

In settings sound the output device is set as Speakers: (BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO 2.8.40)

jayrivers 08-18-2019 07:49 AM

We have an early version of PT: 6.9.1. Dell Workstation 670, Accel HD cards Core plus 2 more. 192 IO, Command 8, mixer desk preamp. OK it's an old system but it works fine and we're comfortable with it.
We recently moved house and the whole set up was reinstated exactly as before. I reset the command8 as there's always a problem when it is disconnected from the USB port, reinstalled the drivers and it's online OK. Everything is looking good, all visible in the PT screen and session file, but NO SOUND. Not from the speakers or headphones. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Ben Jenssen 08-18-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayrivers (Post 2535728)
We have an early version of PT: 6.9.1. Dell Workstation 670, Accel HD cards Core plus 2 more. 192 IO, Command 8, mixer desk preamp. OK it's an old system but it works fine and we're comfortable with it.
We recently moved house and the whole set up was reinstated exactly as before. I reset the command8 as there's always a problem when it is disconnected from the USB port, reinstalled the drivers and it's online OK. Everything is looking good, all visible in the PT screen and session file, but NO SOUND. Not from the speakers or headphones. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Where are your speakers and headphones connected? Not to the Command 8? If so then there must be a signal flow from the 192 outs to the command 8 ins for it to work. Tell us how it's routed.

By the way, this should realy be a separate topic, as it has very little to do with previous posts. Also, this is the category for PT First discussions. Here perhaps: Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win). Maybe a moderator could move it for us.