Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pro Tools 8 Problem All tracks are selected for everything in edit window. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=243770)

DONNX 04-11-2009 10:39 AM

Pro Tools 8 Problem All tracks are selected for everything in edit window.

Please assist, if anyone here knows about this issue. I am in PT 8 HD. CS2. And my selector, or any tools in the edit window is defaulted to select all tracks. Its irritating me to death. I can't figure out how to get my selector, or whatever tool just to work on one individual track not the entire session. its acting like I pushed "shift" and selected on all my tracks so that I can (for example) resize all of the tracks to medium at the same time. If I high light something in the edit window. It highlights all the tracks. If I select or cut something. It draws a straight line up the entire session edit window and to every track. How do I get it back to working only on one track?

I never intentionally selected whatever feature this is. I have been on Pro Tools for a while. I don't have a clue what is going on. Its like every track is stuck at be "selected all". If I do anything in the edit window. Every track is effected by it.

I am serioulsy about to ditch Pro Tools 8 and head back to 7.4 where it was headache free for me. This is the cherry on top of many issues with Pro Tools 8. Sick of all time I waste trying to make Pro Tools 8 work. URGGGG. :mad:

crizdee 04-11-2009 11:11 AM

Re: Pro Tools 8 Problem All tracks are selected for everything in edit window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DONNX (Post 1382011)

I am serioulsy about to ditch Pro Tools 8 and head back to 7.4 where it was headache free for me. This is the cherry on top of many issues with Pro Tools 8. Sick of all time I waste trying to make Pro Tools 8 work. URGGGG. :mad:

Have you tried reading the manual yet of all the new features and changes?:o

Sounds like you have the "ALL" group selected. this should give you one less cherry to worry about:-)

Chris

DONNX 04-11-2009 11:21 AM

Yea your right. I am a dummy. URGGG> I can't believe I missed that...bad day. sorry Thanks:D

D~Wats 09-03-2012 12:36 PM

But I don't have the ALL group selected (or any other groups) and I still get a group of tracks selected in the edit view... only on one certain session though..Very bothersome

phatbeatstudio 09-07-2012 08:11 AM

when you click on the only open track does it change at all.
It should only select that track when you do. Does clicking and double clicking make a difference.

MZED 10-03-2012 04:09 AM

I also had this problem and found that i had all my groups selected/highlighted so even if i deselected 'all' in groups - all my tracks would still select.
Until i deselected each group then i was able to select my track individually;)
Hope that helps someone!

MacDaddy WGAR 03-07-2014 10:35 AM

DONNX is not a dummy. PT 8 is complete piece of garbage and I have been using PT since 3 so i think i am pretty qualified to say that as an expert. If you accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut and don't realize it it turns things on all the time. And that is easy to do you may hit a key combo for what you think is an app in foreground and then realize it was PT, so when you go back to PT it exhibits some strange behavior because you didn't realize you hit a key shortcut to activate some function. I would rather have a warning window pop up each time to let me know that.:mad:

Then you spend the next 30 minutes trying to figure what you did. I certainly hope they fixed it in later versions. But I never saw so many layers of garbage added to software. There should have been a master override in prefs for those of us who just need to edit and mix to turn features on and off.

JFreak 03-07-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDaddy WGAR (Post 2138584)
DONNX is not a dummy. PT 8 is complete piece of garbage and I have been using PT since 3 so i think i am pretty qualified to say that as an expert.

Why revive this old thread?

PT8 is far from complete piece of garbage. As an expert having used PT since 3 you might have noticed that it was a major GUI revamp. If you missed that, I don't know what to say anymore...

risey 02-12-2016 05:10 AM

I saw this post, I know its old, but it was also never resolved and there is a simple answer so I thought I would pitch in just in case others have this issue on future pro tools versions.
The Answer:
If all tracks are selected in EDIT window and they are not allocated to a group or all group then hit: CTRL+SHIFT+G this will suspend all tracks, done, you can now select tracks individually again...

lou77 07-23-2017 02:59 AM

THANK you @RISEY! for explaining the solution!

this problem only took up 10 minutes of my time, because you went to the effort to tell me to undo the random thing i must have done! appreciated!