Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Country Producers? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=145426)

vocalize 08-28-2005 07:40 PM

Country Producers?

Hey All!

I'm a country recording artist and I'm in the stages of putting together demo versions of the songs that were submitted to me. I really want the demo versions to sound fantastic and since I'm doing this part of the process on my own, I was wondering if any producers here on the DUC could point me to some good articles on mixing techniques to achieve that pristine sound before I start cutting this thing in Nashville?

I really want to become a better engineer and producer as well as being an artist.

Thanks in advance!

Kurtstudio 08-28-2005 10:18 PM

Re: Country Producers?

Hi, There really aren't any books to read to help you. Try importing a song that is similar to the one you are working on and match placement and sounds, understanding that the one you import is mastered. Other that that, Most producers prefer demo's to be kept very simple, thus Guitar vocals should do the job. If it isn't great as a guitar / vocals it probable isn't a great song. Lyric are the most important thing in a country song. Make sure you can hear every word and understand the full meaning of the song. best of luck.

scottgreiner 08-29-2005 02:09 PM

Hire Justin Neibank for the first day of tracking, take lots of notes, then don't touch anything - just record. Seems like you can't swing an empty six pack around with hitting several competent engineers in Nashville.

vocalize 08-29-2005 08:09 PM

Thanks Scott!
Can you please tell me what studio he's out of? If not, no biggie! I'm sure my guys can get a hold of him or I can do some research as well.

Thanks a million!

JFK StudioDude 08-29-2005 11:16 PM

Justin Neibank is a Killer Engineer and an even better mixer. He frequently works out of Paragon Studios in Nashville.

Have fun.

JFK

pockets745 08-29-2005 11:25 PM

Hi,

I read your post, and should clarify a couple things for you. first, Justin IS awesome, but is also a first call engineer and more than likely would be very difficult to get without sufficient notice and a premium price. If you have a investor, you may be able to get him. Let me tell you this about Nashville. You can get some pretty amazing people to work on you project, provided they are not doing something else. The ironic part is that the best ones are almost always working!! Now, that's not to say you wouldn't get lucky, but you should know the reality. If they get a call for a major project, they're going to take it, and you're going to have to either re-schedule, or get someone less busy.

That being said, I'll also give you my opinion about DIY. If your serious about being an artist, don't mess around trying to do things yourself, and don't comprise on the expense if you can afford not to. While there are a lot of small studios in town, the majority of major stuff is still tracked and mixed in the big rooms. You can do a lot of overdub work yourself in smaller places, but the guys who get the big sound in this town either have access to a good amount of boutique analog gear, or really know what they're doing on their DAW's.

Being a true artist is time consuming enough without worrying about how the stuff is getting recorded. It's about capturing the best performance you can give, and seeing your vision through. And remember one last thing about Nashville......it's still ALL about the song!!

Good Luck,

Jimmy