Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Back in time.... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=347035)

John_Toolbox 11-14-2013 04:35 PM

Back in time....

After 4 years without a MIX system, I have finally pieced one back together, thanks to fellow moderator JFreak, who hooked me up with a super cool red "Satchmo" MIX core. The satchmo card is a prototype MIX card. Have it dual booting panther and OS9 on a quicksilver G4, with an ADAT bridge which was also a prototype version according to the guy I bought it from. I'm using it as a TDM plugin server. So glad I hung on to my old soundtoys and lexiverb assets.

It is funny to look at a 1024x768 monitor, and remember how "big" it was back in the day. OSX panther finally looks "old", and OS9 looks "ancient" with it's Chicago font goodness.

JFreak 11-14-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Back in time....

Good to hear -- have fun :)

sunburst79 11-15-2013 06:24 AM

Glad the hear its up. You will have to detail how your hosting the G4 in PT.

And I always thought it was W A Y cool that JFreak hooked you up with the card.

I'm assuming the G4 is not the XServe?

Still need the red Samplecell card back!

John_Toolbox 11-15-2013 07:42 AM

Yeah couldn't get the Xserve working, no video... I think it has a bad mobo. The quicksilver is quieter and had 4 pci slots, so It's better for the long haul. The red samplecell was a rev q for beige g3 or older, when I still had it I tried it in a few g4s and could not get it to work. But I still wouldn't mind getting it back if it ever pops up on ebay again.

Chief Technician 11-17-2013 05:48 PM

Do you want a DSP Farm card? I have a stash from them when the facility upgraded to HD|2 Accel in 2006. Avid told me they were worthless and would not give me a trade-in credit for them.

John_Toolbox 11-17-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Technician (Post 2103385)
Do you want a DSP Farm card? I have a stash from them when the facility upgraded to HD|2 Accel in 2006. Avid told me they were worthless and would not give me a trade-in credit for them.

I have 2 more open slots, so I have room for one. As long as it has the QC chip it should work.

Chief Technician 11-18-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Toolbox (Post 2103405)
As long as it has the QC chip it should work.

This card has a QE chip. How much is it worth to you?

John_Toolbox 11-18-2013 01:08 PM

Got any red ones? I'm only buying red ones. :D

Seriously though, I just looked and they are going for next to nothing on ebay right now. Theres one on there for $40 with free shipping, there are a few others that recently sold for less than $20 including the shipping (!) :eek:

I'm afraid to make an offer because I don't want to lowball you.

Chief Technician 11-18-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Toolbox (Post 2103629)
I'm afraid to make an offer because I don't want to lowball you.

Digidesign lowballed me when they wouldn't give me any trade-in credit for them. If you want to pay $50, I will ship it to you (continental US).

Kristo Kotkas 11-19-2013 03:45 PM

How does the Lexiverb sound? It's been years since I run it... haven't had that "instant satisfaction" feeling with any other reverbs after dumping OS9 and Lexi...