Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cross platform sessions... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=265875)

mike59271 02-01-2010 07:32 PM

Cross platform sessions...

I'm looking for some advice on a situation that has come up. A friend of my is looking to release his EP, it is primarily electronic with heavy synths and VI's. He would like to transpose all of these sounds into organic instruments i.e. guitar, bass, drums etc. with effects on top of them to achieve similar tones. He is using fruity loops right now but would like to put it onto my pro tools system. So here's my question:

What is the best way to get his FL Studio sessions into PTLE? We share all the same VI's more or less so i would like to be able to have his session in PT so i can isolate sounds and then record instruments into that sessions and one by one replace all of his VI instruments.

Can he export his tracks in FL Studio as midi files and will they include the time stamp, tempo, meter etc. when imported into pro tools given that the same plugins are available in my PT setup?

And one last question, is this even the best option? We are both running PC's here but I have PTLE and he has FLStudio. To get the most out of this situation would it be best to have the sessions redone in PT, given that he wants to mix and master this a almost pro level, bare in mind it is and EP, but we do want it to sound as good as possible...

Any input on this matter is appreciated, Thank you o great DOC!

cwsand 02-01-2010 09:15 PM

Re: Cross platform sessions...

Well I've never used it, but isn't that what Digi Translator is used for?

mike59271 02-02-2010 01:41 AM

I dont really have 500 dollars to drop on my friend EP lol. Are there other ways, export midi, wav etc. any ideas?

Kris75 02-02-2010 07:21 AM

Never used Fruity Loops, but the best way to transfer from any program is to use consolidated audio files.

Bounce each file from the same start point. Import to Pro Tools. Free, and more than likely, Fruity Loops has off line bounce:D

cwsand 02-02-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris75 (Post 1546193)
Never used Fruity Loops, but the best way to transfer from any program is to use consolidated audio files.

Bounce each file from the same start point. Import to Pro Tools. Free, and more than likely, Fruity Loops has off line bounce:D

That's true, but you can't so that with MIDI files unless you actually record them to a track first. I'm guessing you could export MIDI from FL and import it into PT, but I don't know how much info will be imported along with it like tempo, meter, markers etc. Then you'd have to route the MIDI to your VI. It'd be nice if FL had a "Save As ProTools Session" option - but I doubt it! :eek:

Shan 02-03-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsand (Post 1546762)
I'm guessing you could export MIDI from FL and import it into PT

Yes, this can be done for the MIDI tracks.

Shane

HDK_Ent 02-03-2010 04:11 AM

ever consider using Rewire to wire in fruity loops with pro tools? or just drawing up all his key's on pro tools and pull up new sounds?

if its electronica and etc the melodies should be somewhat consistent and easy to pick out...