Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   What's the longest Pro Tools has gone... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404007)

kirkbross 04-05-2019 08:14 PM

What's the longest Pro Tools has gone...

What do you suppose is the longest Pro Tools has ever gone with no support for Apple's latest OS? *

We're at 7 months now, but, somehow I suspect that's not the record(?)

PT 2018.12.0 runs worse on my Mac Mini than on my 2008 Mac Pro – it constantly crashes and runs out of CPU power even on tiny sessions at *any* sample buffer.

* I know they specifically say 'don't upgrade to Mojave' but I had no choice with my Mac Mini which shipped with Mojave.

Darryl Ramm 04-05-2019 08:33 PM

Re: What's the longest Pro Tools has gone...

Have you tried disabling hyperthreading? And troubleshooting which of your plugins might be causing problems? Lots of folks are able to get this all working.

64GTOBOY 04-05-2019 09:16 PM

IIRC PT 5 never ran on OSX and i think that was about a year until PT6 came out after OSX was released. I am old though and my memory might be off:o

Top Jimmy 04-05-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY (Post 2521289)
IIRC PT 5 never ran on OSX and i think that was about a year until PT6 came out after OSX was released. I am old though and my memory might be off:o

Almost a year and a half. Two years if you count the Kodiak beta. They completely missed Cheetah and Puma and didn't get 6 released until Jaguar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JFreak 04-05-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2521292)
They completely missed Cheetah and Puma and didn't get 6 released until Jaguar.

Though OSX was completely new OS at the time and to be fair it wasn't usable until Jaguar 10.2.3 released just before Christmas 2002 -- but true, long wait there (for a huge jump from classic Mac to full blown UNIX).

Meads 04-06-2019 01:03 AM

Developer Beta of Mojave started in the beginning of June 2018. We're not 7 months in but 11.

JFreak 04-06-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2521297)
Developer Beta of Mojave started in the beginning of June 2018. We're not 7 months in but 11.

Yes, not funny at all. Lucky PT doesn't seem to be having so big issues with Mojave, but Avid has still dropped the ball on this one. The support should have been so last year, but no.

Meads 04-06-2019 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2521299)
Yes, not funny at all. Lucky PT doesn't seem to be having so big issues with Mojave, but Avid has still dropped the ball on this one. The support should have been so last year, but no.

Yes, it runs pretty stable on Mojave for me as well. But I had a different system issue, contacted Apple, they went through my system logs and said, a process by Avid causes it. So I contacted Avid support and they refused assistance since I was on Mojave. So I had to create an external boot disk with High Sierra and make it a clone of my normal working drive manually in order to get support from Avid on my real world situation.
Unpaid hours down the drain for me.

JFreak 04-06-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2521300)
Unpaid hours down the drain for me.

That's the risk you take using unsupported software, but point taken

Meads 04-06-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2521301)
That's the risk you take using unsupported software, but point taken

Right, it's the user's fault for getting modern hardware that comes with unsupported software preinstalled. How dare we buy new things?

But yeah, I think we're kind of on the same page here. Sure it's not wise to use unsupported software, but when you basically have no choice (as in people buying their first Mac which happens to come with Mojave - there's hardly a way to downgrade in that case) and the OS has been out for months - there's no valid ground to blame the user here. This is fault of a company that is so far behind delivering what they are being paid for annually, that they should be forced to reimburse.