Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Help - MBox Pro misbehaving after updates (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336924)

pfirkin 04-07-2013 10:38 AM

Help - MBox Pro misbehaving after updates

I have an MBox 3 Pro which I purchased from the local dealer in January 2012. It worked fine for the first twelve months or so.

A couple of months ago I downloaded the 1.0.19 driver update and installed it after uninstalling the old version which was delivered with the MBox Pro. On restarting the PC nothing worked and it could not be seen in the device manager. I could not get it to work at all. Restarting the PC and MBox did not work and restarting the MBox monitor service did not work.

I removed the new driver and reinstalled the original driver. The interface came back to life but worked only intermittently and I noticed that the firmware was still 1.03 (not sure what the original was, 1.02 I think).

As a last resort I downloaded the 1.0.19 driver again making sure the first copy was overwritten. I installed the new drivers and the box came back to life, worked for five minutes and then disconnected itself with similar results - nothing I did could make it work. The next time I started the PC, a day later, lo and behold it worked again and remained working for some time (> 1 hour) and then disconnected itself and once again could not be revived. Sometimes it will work without stopping and other times I have to turn off the MBox Pro, leave it off for a while and turn it back on. Very rarely, restarting the MBox Monitor service works.

I have made sure that all the latest drivers are installed for graphics and Firewire.

Any ideas welcome.

JoelG 04-08-2013 08:27 AM

Re: Help - MBox Pro misbehaving after updates

Have you gone through all the suggestions in the Optimization guide? Make sure your USB ports aren't being put to sleep - I think this is in the guide as well.

Joel

pfirkin 04-08-2013 10:00 AM

Thanks Joel

I have been through the optimizations before posting but I went through again as you suggested to be sure. I have only found one thing I had not done which was set the display screen saver to never. All the other sleep options were set to never. After restarting, the usual. It worked for a few minutes and now nothing.

I have previously tried to run all applications in the background but all this did was slow things down without improving the MBox' behaviour so I still let apps run normally. As this machine is reasonably powerful I thought it should not matter.

Also the network drivers are the latest. I am using a DLink USB WiFi unit DWA125. I am at a loss as this setup worked well for the first 12 months without my having to do anything.

Any further suggestions gratefully received

pfirkin

albee1952 04-08-2013 10:13 AM

Never perform ANY update without a backup plan!

jryser 04-08-2013 07:35 PM

The problem is that Avid has admitted that the firmware updates have been glitchy. I sent mine in and it is now flawless. It is a drag to not have the Mbox for a few weeks but well worth the fix.

Sent from my Pro Tools beating heart.

JoelG 04-09-2013 06:05 AM

I'm surprised the firmware updates wouldn't be included in the driver installs. I cant imagine AVID wanting to ship every Mbox back and forth every time there is a firmware update.

Joel

pfirkin 04-09-2013 07:38 AM

Thanks All

It looks as if I will have to send the box in, something I was trying to avoid because U will be without it for some time.

Regards

jryser 04-10-2013 04:12 AM

There was a problem in those mboxes that had multiple firmware updates over time; I just wanted the path of quickness and opted to send in to avid.

Sent from my Pro Tools beating heart.

serio 04-10-2013 08:50 PM

Jryser, are DSP fx working properly after having the unit fixed?