Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   "Segmentation Fault" "Main Thread" Error (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297887)

IceLitch 03-27-2011 06:54 PM

"Segmentation Fault" "Main Thread" Error

I get an Alert

"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

I get this every time I try to open the "Session" window, thus, I am not able to open the Session window as Protools crashes after the Alert message.
I am running 9.0.2 on a Intel Mac quad core running Mac OS 10.6.6.

I use a Motu PCI-424e card as the Audio interface with Motu 2408 Mark3's.

Please advise and thanks.

Dode 03-29-2011 12:32 PM

Re: "Segmentation Fault" "Main Thread" Error

Got the same message when quitting Pro tools since 9.02, and then i'm unable to launch it again, until i clear all prefs (Pro Tools and OS X, Audio and MIDI) and reboot. Then i can launch PT one time, but here we go again when quitting it.
Really annoying...
OS X.6.6 with a Digi003R (Complete Production Toolkit 2).

Bye.

captainhook79 05-20-2011 10:29 AM

I'm getting the same error message, only when I open a session in PT 9, my screen immediately freaks out and begins jumping back and forth from one place in the song to another frantically, like a strobe light. When I close the session and exit PT, it gives me the "segmentation fault" "main thread" error at address....
Does anybody know anything about this or is experiencing the same thing?

I'm clueless at this point.
I can't even work on any session in PT right now.

Mac Pro quad core 2.66
OSX 10.6.7
PT 9.0.2

Carl Lie 05-21-2011 08:56 PM

Have you tried repairing permissions on you main drive?

Carl

IceLitch 06-07-2011 07:18 PM

The reason I "was" getting this message was because I was using two 24 channel Audio interfaces (which are not made by Avid). Protools 9 only supports 32 channels of I/O so PT was freaking out with the extra 16 in/outs present on my second audio interface.

Upon turning off my second 24 channel audio interface, Protools now works perfectly fine. I only get 24 i/o, but thats enough for me for now.

Most Multichannel Audio Interfaces from Avid are 16 i/o or a multiple that so it makes sense why a (second) third party manufacturer's 24 channel Audio interface could cause a problem when PT only can use 32.

jwolford 08-11-2011 11:35 AM

IceLitch's poste helped me out.

This error has been periodically kicking my butt for weeks. I could not figure it out.

I move a lot of sessions between locations, and after reading his post, I created a fresh session and deleted all unneeded i/o. After doing this, the session that was crashing 5 minutes ago is now launching.

As a side note, whenever I see this error is when I attempt to regenerate fades, and I usually have Soundminer set up as a rewire insert.

Just sharing my experience.

OS 10.6.8
PT 9.0.3
Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro w/ 8GB RAM.

jwolford 08-12-2011 12:14 PM

This kicked my butt again last night. Tried what worked for me earlier in the day, no luck.

I came in today, and launched the same session, and it launched without issue.

It may be worth noting that I am using optical out from the mac for PT audio, and also running Snapper, and occasionally Audiofinsder. Soundminer is connected to PT via rewire.

But the issue, for me anyways, always happens while regenerating fades.