Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   EZDrummer 2 vs Superior Dmr 2.32? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354379)

PatriotsBiker 05-11-2014 05:48 AM

EZDrummer 2 vs Superior Dmr 2.32?

..or whatever the latest version of superior Drummer is.

So with the release of EZ Drummer, Superior Drummer still the much better version to get or has the average-Joe's version gotten a lot better? Is it worth it to get Superior Drummer any more?

Thanks!

DAWgEAR 05-11-2014 08:55 AM

Re: EZDrummer 2 vs Superior Dmr 2.32?

I purchased the EZ Drummer 2 upgrade and will use its new search, browser, and song construction tools for composing and arranging. If necessary, I can later replace it with Superior Drummer 2 at the mixing stage for better sounds. Having said that, I am liking the kits in EZ Drummer 2 so far.

LightWing 05-11-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAWgEAR (Post 2155922)
I purchased the EZ Drummer 2 upgrade and will use its new search, browser, and song construction tools for composing and arranging. If necessary, I can later replace it with Superior Drummer 2 at the mixing stage for better sounds. Having said that, I am liking the kits in EZ Drummer 2 so far.

+1

PatriotsBiker 05-11-2014 12:33 PM

Thanks fro the replies so far. I appreciate them.

I do like the idea of the key & match or learn and match functionality enough to want to get that anyhow if superior did not have such functionality, and it sounds like that's the case. It makes me wonder I there's a superior upgrade coming down the pike.

Have either of you (or anyone) an opinion or gut feeling on the sound quality differences between the Toontrack products and Strike 2.0 or maybe even NI's Kontakt based Abbey Roads & Studio Drummer sounds? I know that's a difficult thing to gauge, especially from patch to patch differences and not being able to A/B them in a proper manner.

Is there a big library of MIDI with the EZ2 package, or does come only after getting a couple of the MIDI packs?

DAWgEAR 05-11-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker (Post 2155966)
Have either of you (or anyone) an opinion or gut feeling on the sound quality differences between the Toontrack products and Strike 2.0 or maybe even NI's Kontakt based Abbey Roads & Studio Drummer sounds?

I own all of the above plus BFD, Slate, Addictive Drums, RMX, Drumcore, and a few others I've probably forgotten about. Overall for rock/pop acoustic drum sounds, I like the Toontrack stuff best, followed by Studio Drummer.

The EZ Drummer MIDI content is satisfactory to start with, but the Toontrack MIDI packs really cover a lot of ground. You can get them at Audio Deluxe for not a lot of $.

I hope these features come in SD 3, but I expect that to be a while (hope I'm mistaken). Meanwhile, I've got big songwriting plans for this summer with EZD 2!

PatriotsBiker 05-11-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAWgEAR (Post 2156009)
I own all of the above plus BFD, Slate, Addictive Drums, RMX, Drumcore, and a few others I've probably forgotten about. Overall for rock/pop acoustic drum sounds, I like the Toontrack stuff best, followed by Studio Drummer.

The EZ Drummer MIDI content is satisfactory to start with, but the Toontrack MIDI packs really cover a lot of ground. You can get them at Audio Deluxe for not a lot of $.

I hope these features come in SD 3, but I expect that to be a while (hope I'm mistaken). Meanwhile, I've got big songwriting plans for this summer with EZD 2!

That sounds like what I'm after then. Thanks for the intel. :-)

justus1900 05-11-2014 08:04 PM

I just starting working with EZ Drummer 2 on a new song but I build up the whole drum part in EZ Drummer 2 and when I was sure I was done with it I took EZ Drummer off the track and put SD 2 on that track and worked with the SD 2 Mixer in there until I got what I really wanted so using both tools I think works best, as for sound quality they both sound good, I really never like to say anything sounds better than something else it just sounds different.

Kris75 05-11-2014 11:44 PM

I use both. I use EZ2 for composing and SD2 for the sounds. Just make sure you choose MIDI Out in EZ2 and then set the the MIDI in to SD2;) Best of both worlds!

PatriotsBiker 05-12-2014 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris75 (Post 2156058)
I use both. I use EZ2 for composing and SD2 for the sounds. Just make sure you choose MIDI Out in EZ2 and then set the the MIDI in to SD2;) Best of both worlds!

So at least a few of you do this. Does SD sound that much better? (to you?)

Kris75 05-12-2014 12:33 PM

It just has a few more options to control the output of the drums as well as having the offline bounce feature which sounds much more realistic to me at least.