Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Will there be an official manual for the ERXP? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297416)

adamqlw 03-21-2011 11:16 PM

Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

I was just wondering if there would be some official documentation for the ERXP. Some of the new features (dynamic delay, para EQ, speaker breakup) have quite a few knobs or non-linear functions. A proper guide would be nice.

Maybe Avid can commission Benoni to write it ;)

Benoni 03-21-2011 11:18 PM

Re: Will there be an official manual for the ERXP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamqlw (Post 1769776)
I was just wondering if there would be some official documentation for the ERXP. Some of the new features (dynamic delay, para EQ, speaker breakup) have quite a few knobs or non-linear functions. A proper guide would be nice.

Maybe Avid can commission Benoni to write it ;)

they already have it wrote.:p

To better understand the Parametric EQ i suggest going to Youtube and looking up a vid that shows one with a graphical example, so you can "see" the changes being made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIvzbV40MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjYskicZRw

Vercingetorix 03-22-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 1769778)
they already have it wrote.:p

To better understand the Parametric EQ i suggest going to Youtube and looking up a vid that shows one with a graphical example, so you can "see" the changes being made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIvzbV40MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjYskicZRw

Benoni, I find your videos being more helpful than most. Like the FCB/11Prom which I have bought and waiting to arrive. So would you consider putting together a multi-part vid series showing us how to use the Para EQ. Like, for instance, trying a cop a tone and using PEQ to sculpt the tone to get it close.

Please, please, pretty please :D.

guitardom 03-22-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vercingetorix (Post 1769848)
Benoni, I find your videos being more helpful than most. Like the FCB/11Prom which I have bought and waiting to arrive. So would you consider putting together a multi-part vid series showing us how to use the Para EQ. Like, for instance, trying a cop a tone and using PEQ to sculpt the tone to get it close.

Please, please, pretty please :D.

The reality of eq'ing a guitar is one of those things that is insanely situation dependant. It why you have mixers like Joe Barressi and Michael Wagner who are hired so often for their ability to craft guitar tones. Go study those guys if you want to hear tones!

Plus the variation of gtrs and style. The eq on my les Paul is drastically different from my ibanez petrucci model. The eq needed for a rectifier is light years different from even the same company's mark series or Marshall. The mic and cabinet dictate a lot of this as well. Active pups are tighter than passive pups and typically brighter as well.

I have spent the last over 15 years of my life on this and have come to learn there are no rules! I can guarantee 5 guys will eq things 5 different ways. Plus a album mix eq is going to be different from a live eq.....ugghh

Look up mixermans guitars from hell. That might give you some more insight. Experience, time, more time, and experimenting.

Roll off the lows for control and woofiness, anywhere up to maybe 100hz, but typically that high only in mixes. Low mid 100-600 roughly for boxiness and woofiness. Mid range 1k to 3k for clarity and nasal. 3-5k for bite. That's about as good as much as can be told on paper.

Vercingetorix 03-22-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 1769874)
The reality of eq'ing a guitar is one of those things that is insanely situation dependant. It why you have mixers like Joe Barressi and Michael Wagner who are hired so often for their ability to craft guitar tones. Go study those guys if you want to hear tones!

Plus the variation of gtrs and style. The eq on my les Paul is drastically different from my ibanez petrucci model. The eq needed for a rectifier is light years different from even the same company's mark series or Marshall. The mic and cabinet dictate a lot of this as well. Active pups are tighter than passive pups and typically brighter as well.

I have spent the last over 15 years of my life on this and have come to learn there are no rules! I can guarantee 5 guys will eq things 5 different ways. Plus a album mix eq is going to be different from a live eq.....ugghh

Look up mixermans guitars from hell. That might give you some more insight. Experience, time, more time, and experimenting.

Roll off the lows for control and woofiness, anywhere up to maybe 100hz, but typically that high only in mixes. Low mid 100-600 roughly for boxiness and woofiness. Mid range 1k to 3k for clarity and nasal. 3-5k for bite. That's about as good as much as can be told on paper.

You may well be right. I have never touched a Para EQ ever. So this will be a first for me.

But I am not talking about us crafting a tone that is suitable for reecording or all getting the same tone that's impossible. Just Benoni showing us how to use the PEQ by going after a particular tone preferably metal. Say using a metal tone from the Mesa and how he would be able to modify using the Para EQ rather than the five band EQ we have at the moment to cop say ... a Metallica tone for lack of a better name. Or sculpting the PEQ along with the five band. Is that even possible?

I'm at a loss to describe what I am after - just something to show me the ropes of a PEQ. And how much it can change the original tone.

guitardom 03-22-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vercingetorix (Post 1769887)
You may well be right. I have never touched a Para EQ ever. So this will be a first for me.

But I am not talking about us crafting a tone that is suitable for reecording or all getting the same tone that's impossible. Just Benoni showing us how to use the PEQ by going after a particular tone preferably metal. Say using a metal tone from the Mesa and how he would be able to modify using the Para EQ rather than the five band EQ we have at the moment to cop say ... a Metallica tone for lack of a better name. Or sculpting the PEQ along with the five band. Is that even possible?

I'm at a loss to describe what I am after - just something to show me the ropes of a PEQ. And how much it can change the original tone.

Remember digi eqIII in pt is para. It has presets you can look at and experimen with

sunburst79 03-22-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 1769967)
Remember digi eqIII in pt is para. It has presets you can look at and experimen with

I agree. EQIII sounds great and its easy to use and understand with a graphical representation of the EQ curve. The easiest way to figure out how to use any EQ is to just use it when mixing. Another great way to get a handle on it is to use it surgicaly to help with things like squeaky acoustics. Vocal pops etc.

Other than that there are no rules other than if you find your self using lots and lots of EQ you might want to re examine your miking techniques.

And the Mixerman stuff is good for the entertainment value if nothing else.

guitardom 03-22-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 1770004)
I agree. EQIII sounds great and its easy to use and understand with a graphical representation of the EQ curve. The easiest way to figure out how to use any EQ is to just use it when mixing. Another great way to get a handle on it is to use it surgicaly to help with things like squeaky acoustics. Vocal pops etc.

Other than that there are no rules other than if you find your self using lots and lots of EQ you might want to re examine your miking techniques.

And the Mixerman stuff is good for the entertainment value if nothing else.

His books are quite entertaining to say the least. His new one, zen and the art of mixing I would whole heartedly recommend to anyone new to the entire process or still in the young stages of experimenting and learning what does what in the mixing and recoding field. Even some cool advice in the song writing field. I took quite a bit out of it myself though a couple chapters were pretty boring due to my experience level. I know what eq's, compressors and such do and know the parameters, have worked on tape and many things like that. But it's a huge plethora of info all wrapped in brash and colorful writing

Actually I think it's distorted guitars from hell.