Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Progressively worse latency (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399309)

T.McCartney 05-20-2018 09:00 PM

Progressively worse latency

I have been having an issue lately with latency getting progressively worse. When I first began to monitor my input I have very little to virtually no latency, but within 45 seconds to a minute the latency is so bad it makes tracking impossible. I'm using a Dell Optiplex 780 with with Windows 7 professional and the latest version of Pro Tools 10 HD. I'm using a Tascam US 16x08 as my interface and monitoring it directly from the headphone jack. Buffer is locked at 256 samples and 85% of the CPU is allocated. The only other device currently in my setup is a Digidesign Control 24.

Any help is greatly appreciated

musicman691 05-21-2018 03:35 AM

Re: Progressively worse latency

Is Windows using the Tascam for it's sounds? It shouldn't be allowed to do that.

T.McCartney 05-21-2018 08:26 AM

The Tascam is being used as my I/O's for Pro Tools. No windows sounds come through the unit.

albee1952 05-21-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.McCartney (Post 2488946)
The Tascam is being used as my I/O's for Pro Tools. No windows sounds come through the unit.

It might be worth checking this in Sound>Properties as Windows update can(and recently DID here) reset some settings:eek:

T.McCartney 05-21-2018 02:16 PM

I have managed to determine that the latency issue is not being caused by Windows or my Tascam, but in fact is being caused by my Control 24. I disconnected it and was able to monitor with virtually zero latency. Not sure how the Control 24 is causing this latency as there is no audio being inputted, outputted or monitored from the board. I guess I should have expected this from used gear, but couldn't pass it up for the price. If anyone has experience with the Control 24, I'm all ears.

albee1952 05-23-2018 11:32 AM

I am wondering why your buffer is locked(at all, never mind at 256):rolleyes: That makes no sense UNLESS Windows is using the Tascam as its default playback device in Sound>Properties):o.

Having said that, since the Control24 uses Ethernet, it makes me wonder 2 points; #1-how fast is the Ethernet port(could you install a faster gigabyte card??) and/or #2-would a Ethernet driver update help?

On a side note, Nyrinck is almost ready to release software that will allow Control24 and ProControl to work with PT11/12/2018:D

T.McCartney 05-23-2018 12:29 PM

The buffer issue has been sorted out (lack of coffee had me forgetting I had change it in the Tascam setting application and not in Pro Tools itself).
As for the E-Thernet port I will definitely look into your suggestions.

If the Control 24 could be made functional with 11/12/18 that would be wonderful. The board is the only reason holding me back from upgrading.