Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309387)

Dism 10-20-2011 05:32 PM

Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;)

The answer is quite simple.

RTAS and TDM.

Both are based on 32 bit architecture and to rewrite both would be a complete waste of time.

Hence... AAX.

AAX is the answer to our prayers. No more drama about which sounds better, whether or not one will open on your system... it becomes all the same. It can also become 64 bit.

PT10 HAD to be 32 bit, so to be able to still run TDM and RTAS since adoption of AAX will take time.

Mark my words...

The sooner we adopt AAX, the sooner we will see a 64 bit Pro Tools, and other features like non-realtime bouncing and freeze tracks.

Trust me.

But... if you want more information, trust this guy too:

Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

Obsidian Dragon 10-20-2011 05:34 PM

Re: Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;)

Bring on AAX. I'm ready to rock with it. :-)

DigiTechSupt 10-20-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dism (Post 1846367)
The answer is quite simple.

RTAS and TDM.

Both are based on 32 bit architecture and to rewrite both would be a complete waste of time.

Hence... AAX.

AAX is the answer to our prayers. No more drama about which sounds better, whether or not one will open on your system... it becomes all the same. It can also become 64 bit.

PT10 HAD to be 32 bit, so to be able to still run TDM and RTAS since adoptation of AAX will take time.

Mark my words...

The sooner we adopt AAX, the sooner we will see a 64 bit Pro Tools, and other features like non-realtime bouncing and freeze tracks.

Trust me.

Exactly.

Benoni 10-20-2011 05:56 PM

Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;)

Best thread title i've seen in awhile :D

zcherries 10-20-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Mark my words...

Trust me.

Really? Other DAW's have had this stuff for YEARS, and they were still 32 bit. They're now 64 bit, and PT is still stuck in 32 bit land.

Otherwise, the new features look impressive.

Dism 10-20-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcherries (Post 1846486)
Really? Other DAW's have had this stuff for YEARS, and they were still 32 bit. They're now 64 bit, and PT is still stuck in 32 bit land.

Otherwise, the new features look impressive.

Because it's the "Real Time AudioSuite" and "Time Division Multiplexing" that keeps it from being 64 bit and from allowing offline rendering.

Pro Tools is really the only host that supports two proprietary plugin formats, and now 10 has to host 3. Which means there would have to be a bridge for all 3 platforms. Instead, Pro Tools itself acts as the bridge. Once RTAS and TDM are phased out, AAX will be the only format and it will be 64 bit. It will allow for an entire recode of Pro Tools from the ground up, and give us a lighter weight platform with more of the features we expect.

Craig F 10-20-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

there also not 20 year old base code

airon 10-20-2011 07:22 PM

Neat. Another step forward indeed.

AAX sounds like the name for a weapons system though :) .

Intransit 10-20-2011 08:31 PM

Love the title of the thread... but I really hope this doesn't take years! I need 64 bit now :(

Violet 10-20-2011 08:36 PM

Hasn't it already been years?