Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WAVES 3.5 install question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=25436)

JNS 06-27-2002 12:13 AM

WAVES 3.5 install question

Hi. Well, I'm trying to install the WAVES 3.5 upgrade (9.4MB) on my PT partition which has 23MB or so of space left. When I try to do the install I get a prompt saying there is not enough space on the drive for the installation. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

JNS 06-27-2002 07:44 AM

Re: WAVES 3.5 install question

Bump

Ray Lyon 06-27-2002 07:47 AM

try doing a search in the finder for any files larger than 4MB... you may be surprised at what you find .... if you use your computer for anything like Photoshop or web access there may "hidden" files lurking about eating precious HD space...

Shawn B 06-27-2002 07:52 AM

Jeff, First of all you have to do something about your hard drive size. I've haven't seen any machine run stable with that amount of memory since 1985. The waves program needs to move some items and backup some others. So it needs more space to do the install than it finally ends up using. I can't imagine that waves has taken into account someone might be down to 20 meg of space on a drive. If you can afford any protools product then you can certainly afford a new drive. It's cheaper than a roll of tape.

JNS 06-27-2002 08:54 AM

ShawnB wrote:

"Jeff, First of all you have to do something about your hard drive size. I've haven't seen any machine run stable with that amount of memory since 1985. The waves program needs to move some items and backup some others. So it needs more space to do the install than it finally ends up using. I can't imagine that waves has taken into account someone might be down to 20 meg of space on a drive. If you can afford any protools product then you can certainly afford a new drive. It's cheaper than a roll of tape."

Shawn, your information about needing more space to install than is actually finally used was helpful. I had forgotten about that. In regards to the drive size, I have a 40G internal drive, but with a small partition 800MB (maybe a little less, can't remember for sure) used only for the system folder,PT, and audio related apps. which is a very common practice. This is done so that I can maintain a complete Disk Copy of that one part for immediate reinstall of System Folder and PT should things really get screwed up (otherwise known as the "Monte Method"-see the DAW-MAC site for more info). Some guys are using as small as 400-500MB for this partition. And the machine is stable. I also keep another internal drive with another system folder on it that I use for internet and other non-audio related software. I can start from either one. All audio is done on several external SCSI drives. So I am not quite as crazy or cheap as it might have appeared. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I did also find another 50MB or more of files that I could trash. Thanks for your help, though.

Jeff

JNS 06-27-2002 08:57 AM

Thanks, Ray. I did find some unwanted files that were installed with the OS.

Jeff