Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Audio track clipping when trying to print (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404179)

Ezequiel Severino 04-22-2019 01:59 PM

Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is the reason why i joined:

Whenever I try to print a mix and I route it to an AUX track called sub master and that AUX track i then route it to a AUDIO track to print (so Basic printing routing for a mix).

Now my issue comes when i start printing my AUDIO track starts clipping even though my AUX track and my MASTER track do not clip at all.

if i could get a a direction to what or why this is happening that be really helpful.

Thanks a Lot.

Ezequiel Severino

RobertDorn 04-22-2019 02:15 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezequiel Severino (Post 2522655)
Hello everyone,



I am new to this forum and this is the reason why i joined:



Whenever I try to print a mix and I route it to an AUX track called sub master and that AUX track i then route it to a AUDIO track to print (so Basic printing routing for a mix).



Now my issue comes when i start printing my AUDIO track starts clipping even though my AUX track and my MASTER track do not clip at all.



if i could get a a direction to what or why this is happening that be really helpful.



Thanks a Lot.



Ezequiel Severino



Hi! I don’t understand your routing entirely. I guess you route all your individual tracks to the aux, and then print that aux to an audio track.

You also can commit this aux track so you don’t have to print it real time.

But if you use the aux to do processing on the ‘mixbus’ you could achieve the same by applying the processing on a master track (and then ‘print’ or bounce it)

In the way you do it, it could be the processing on your aux summing bus that causes clipping on the printed track. Do you see the meters clipping or does your waveform look clipped? If only the last thing is the case it could be possible that your audio is not actually clipped but you are zoomed in on the vertical height on the waveform. Press option/alt+a to restore your waveform view to default.

Also, if the printing source (your aux) isn’t distorted and your session is 32-bit floating point, since you print internally, you can always do a little clip gain adjustment to fix any clipping. If you print out of the box da - ad , and it clips on your converter outputs and or inputs you cannot fix it afterwards because it’s 16 or 24 fixed point.

priorytools 04-22-2019 02:45 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezequiel Severino (Post 2522655)
Hello everyone,



I am new to this forum and this is the reason why i joined:



Whenever I try to print a mix and I route it to an AUX track called sub master and that AUX track i then route it to a AUDIO track to print (so Basic printing routing for a mix).



Now my issue comes when i start printing my AUDIO track starts clipping even though my AUX track and my MASTER track do not clip at all.



if i could get a a direction to what or why this is happening that be really helpful.



Thanks a Lot.



Ezequiel Severino



First off Ezequiel, are your meters set to pre fader? If not, change to pre fade & have clips set to infinite.
Secondly, is your sub master fader sitting at 0.00 ?
Thirdly, can you try running the mix while on input monitor on your print track & seeing at which point in the song it’s clipping.
Fourth, make a stereo master fader & assign it’s output to your sub masters input. I name this “sub m=m”Now you can see if your mults that are routed to your sub m are clipping the input because the “sub m=m” will have clips lit.
Fifth, fo you have a compressor on your sub m ?

Ezequiel Severino 04-22-2019 04:19 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertDorn (Post 2522658)
Hi! I don’t understand your routing entirely. I guess you route all your individual tracks to the aux, and then print that aux to an audio track.

You also can commit this aux track so you don’t have to print it real time.

But if you use the aux to do processing on the ‘mixbus’ you could achieve the same by applying the processing on a master track (and then ‘print’ or bounce it)

In the way you do it, it could be the processing on your aux summing bus that causes clipping on the printed track. Do you see the meters clipping or does your waveform look clipped? If only the last thing is the case it could be possible that your audio is not actually clipped but you are zoomed in on the vertical height on the waveform. Press option/alt+a to restore your waveform view to default.

Also, if the printing source (your aux) isn’t distorted and your session is 32-bit floating point, since you print internally, you can always do a little clip gain adjustment to fix any clipping. If you print out of the box da - ad , and it clips on your converter outputs and or inputs you cannot fix it afterwards because it’s 16 or 24 fixed point.




RobertDorn

Hey, yes that's exactly my signal routing, also, both. my audio Channel waveform and meter are both clipping and you can definitely hear it when you listen to the print.

I was doing some research and someone told me (idk if this is true or not i Have not confirmed it) that Aux tracks have a more "dynamic range" (this is how it was explained to me) than audio tracks and that could be the reason as to why my aux track is not clipping with all the track summed up, again idk if this is true it's just something someone told me.

I do not however, understand the part where you say that proccesess in my AUX track may be causing the print track to clip would you please elabórate a bit more so that i can have that clear?

Thanks again.

Ezequiel Severino 04-22-2019 04:25 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by priorytools (Post 2522663)
First off Ezequiel, are your meters set to pre fader? If not, change to pre fade & have clips set to infinite.
Secondly, is your sub master fader sitting at 0.00 ?
Thirdly, can you try running the mix while on input monitor on your print track & seeing at which point in the song it’s clipping.
Fourth, make a stereo master fader & assign it’s output to your sub masters input. I name this “sub m=m”Now you can see if your mults that are routed to your sub m are clipping the input because the “sub m=m” will have clips lit.
Fifth, fo you have a compressor on your sub m ?


Hello priorytools

To answer all your questions

1. Yes my meters are set to pre fader and all clips set to Infinite
2. Yes my master fader is set to 0.00
3. I don't really know what you mean by that, but yes I can definitely do it and it always clips on the same spot
4. I've done it and the for the input for my Sub master nothing is clipping it only clips in the audio track when printing
5. Yes I do, i made Sure I copied it on the Sub master AUX so that it would basically récord it in the print

RobertDorn 04-22-2019 04:49 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezequiel Severino (Post 2522673)
RobertDorn

Hey, yes that's exactly my signal routing, also, both. my audio Channel waveform and meter are both clipping and you can definitely hear it when you listen to the print.

I was doing some research and someone told me (idk if this is true or not i Have not confirmed it) that Aux tracks have a more "dynamic range" (this is how it was explained to me) than audio tracks and that could be the reason as to why my aux track is not clipping with all the track summed up, again idk if this is true it's just something someone told me.

I do not however, understand the part where you say that proccesess in my AUX track may be causing the print track to clip would you please elabórate a bit more so that i can have that clear?

Thanks again.

I'm not aware of auxes having more headroom than audio tracks, but it possibly could be. Did you check the metering levels are set to Digital VU, and in the options menu 'pre fader metering' is checked?

Also did you make adjustments on the master fader the submaster aux is routed to? , If you have a submaster going to, let's say 'monitor L/R' and you have your master from the monitor L/R with fader set to -2dB, as soon as you change the routing from your submaster output to your audiotrack to make a print on, the -2dB adjustment on the masterfader you made is ignored, because your submaster isn't routed to a path controlled by a master fader anymore. Causing your audio track to be hit 2 dB harder than intended. If you don't do anything on the masterfader and just have all faders set to 0dB (recommended in this setup) then it should be good.

priorytools 04-23-2019 02:53 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezequiel Severino (Post 2522674)
Hello priorytools



To answer all your questions



1. Yes my meters are set to pre fader and all clips set to Infinite

2. Yes my master fader is set to 0.00

3. I don't really know what you mean by that, but yes I can definitely do it and it always clips on the same spot

4. I've done it and the for the input for my Sub master nothing is clipping it only clips in the audio track when printing

5. Yes I do, i made Sure I copied it on the Sub master AUX so that it would basically récord it in the print


Maybe something is routed directly to your print track?

3-on audio tracks, to the left of the record button there is the input button. Click that, it goes green, you are now monitoring through your print track.
So route sub m to the print track, now mute the sub m & record the song to prove that nothing’s routed direct to your print track.

Ezequiel Severino 04-25-2019 05:08 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertDorn (Post 2522677)
I'm not aware of auxes having more headroom than audio tracks, but it possibly could be. Did you check the metering levels are set to Digital VU, and in the options menu 'pre fader metering' is checked?

Also did you make adjustments on the master fader the submaster aux is routed to? , If you have a submaster going to, let's say 'monitor L/R' and you have your master from the monitor L/R with fader set to -2dB, as soon as you change the routing from your submaster output to your audiotrack to make a print on, the -2dB adjustment on the masterfader you made is ignored, because your submaster isn't routed to a path controlled by a master fader anymore. Causing your audio track to be hit 2 dB harder than intended. If you don't do anything on the masterfader and just have all faders set to 0dB (recommended in this setup) then it should be good.


Sorry for late reply

No, i have not done any adjustment to the master fader it's been at 0dB since the beginning of the session

Ezequiel Severino 04-25-2019 05:12 PM

Re: Audio track clipping when trying to print
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by priorytools (Post 2522804)
Maybe something is routed directly to your print track?

3-on audio tracks, to the left of the record button there is the input button. Click that, it goes green, you are now monitoring through your print track.
So route sub m to the print track, now mute the sub m & record the song to prove that nothing’s routed direct to your print track.

Hello I checked what you said and everything nothing is going directly to the print AUDIO track I also made sure to check every single track input/output even the senda that i have on the the session


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com