Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Renaming Controller Names (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=293698)

chuckgreenjr 02-02-2011 10:44 AM

Renaming Controller Names

Does anyone know if there is a way to rename the Controller Names? For example, CC20 is labeled undefined. If I wanted to give it a specific name to match functionality with a particular plug-in so it would then show up with the name of my choosing in the MIDI Editor. Currently if I'm using for example CC20, the controller lane is labeled "undefined" with no reference to CC20 without bringing up the Automated MIDI Controllers window. If I'm using 3 or 4 of these "undefined" controller values, it becomes confusing as to which is what. Renaming to match it's functionality would be great.

I should also mention that I'm speaking of controlling Plug-in type instruments not external MIDI sound modules....

If anyone knows one way or the other, please advise. I will highly appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Chuck Green

Ed Douglas 04-11-2011 08:26 AM

Re: Renaming Controller Names

Bump

I would really like to set up custom controller names too.

E

John_Toolbox 04-11-2011 10:36 AM

I am not aware of any program that does this. For it to really be useful I think it would need to be customizable on a per-track basis, since the undefined CC's will never control the exact same thing depending on what you are sending MIDI to.

My workaround is to just put the CC info in the comments section of the track, that's usually enough to remind me what they do for a given track.

Ed Douglas 04-11-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Toolbox (Post 1781020)
My workaround is to just put the CC info in the comments section of the track, that's usually enough to remind me what they do for a given track.

That would be useful.

I do sound design for films, so I don't have lots of different VIs going. I use Kontakt for performing my sound to pix, varying pitch, EQ, LFO etc as the shot demands. I have 16 MIDI control knobs on an external MIDI keyboard that I use to control Kontakt parameters, and have all 16 automation lanes open on my Kontakt instrument track to keep track of my performance and to be able to quickly modify anything. Unfortunately, track comments don't extend to automation lanes, and without being able to modify the names of controllers 11-26, I'm faced with an unhelpful list of "Expression, effect cntrl, undefined and general purpose" labels that do little to aide in navigation.

I hope Avid will consider this as a feature worth adding.

cmbourget 06-06-2012 07:54 AM

We are in 2012, version 10, and nothing has changed on this point ... no?:mad:

Starting User 08-24-2014 03:14 AM

I'd be very interested in that too! Would save nerve and time.

gcamp 03-09-2017 09:56 AM

Now in 2017 with PT 12.7.1... Does anyone know if the feature has been implemented since last post?

I can't seem to find anything new in that regards, but I might just be missing something.