Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Heat vs VCC (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285096)

[email protected] 10-30-2010 10:29 PM

Heat vs VCC

Demo'ing both. Both are nice. My take is they are different animals, but with all things considered I'm leaning a bit more to Slate VCC.

I like Heat (being a PTHD user) as it's built-in (strip at the top of the channel and don't have to mess with RTAS plug-ins), and simple to use. Sounds good. I'm a fan of Dave Hill's products, and HEAT does add a nice touch of color, punch, etc.. It's maybe more subtle then the VCC, and maybe in some ways better sounding as seems a little more transparent then VCC (adds a nice bit of color without changing the mix as much as VCC does), but then on the other hand I tend think VCC sounds more like a finished record in a good way when it's switched in.

I also like the Slate for having more options and a clear target on summing / console emulation. Tracks are a bit more present (in your face sounding), maybe a little compressed, but in a good way. Makes me think it sounds more like a record (part way toward mastered) then HEAT. Also seems to change the stereo image a little bit, as some things sound more in the middle. The user interface is a bit more work with more options and controls at the channel level, over HEAT's simple controls. There is some beauty to HEAT's less options allowing the focus to go more on the music and other tasks, then fiddling with options.

I'm still wired for stems out through an 8816 with Hammer and Manley Vari-Mu on the mix bus, so it's not really a stand alone test. Been too busy to test all ITB yet.

My demo is running out, and wish the VCC was a final product to hear what it will be. Wondering if other PTHD's people came to conclusions on what to buy and what you based your decisions on. Thanks... Neil

crizdee 10-31-2010 12:20 AM

Re: Heat vs VCC

Hi,

So you managed to run VCC without it constantly crashing your system!!!:eek:

Chris

boogiemotel 10-31-2010 06:35 AM

VCC solid here

kicks ass over heat i personally think ..

Oli P 10-31-2010 05:00 PM

VCC is solid here too....but I really love HEAT and VCC together.
HEAT gives me the tape saturation, and VCC frames it in a more console like fashion.

I don't see them as in competition to each other...more complementing.

HEAT is also much less subtle, so it makes a much better coloring tool...VCC just gives that old console feeling most of us find pleasing and familiar.

Fidelis 10-31-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 1688472)
Hi,

Chris

VCC running rock solid here! Not a single crash. Pt HD3 acell v. 8.0.4 on 10.5.8

didn't try heat yet.

HearInc 10-31-2010 08:39 PM

I went for VCC based on price and flexibility. Very happy with my decision.

I've got some funky graphics things going on with VCC on my second monitor, but other than than, it's been solid for me.

roberts 10-31-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Chris

Get rid of your Duende and your issues will go away:D

WernerF 10-31-2010 09:23 PM

Get both of them. They work great together. I have to dissagree with the OP though about HEAT being more subtle than VCC. It's just the opposite. You can get some really crunchy distortion out of HEAT that is not really possible to do with VCC. All you have to do is push each one to it's limits and it will be quite obvious, provided the source material is hot enough.

Eric Lambert 11-01-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Chris

Shouldn't an explanation follow a post as dramatic and accusatory as that? Please explain this crash epidemic for those of us that don't know anything about it.

crizdee 11-01-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lambert (Post 1688739)
Shouldn't an explanation follow a post as dramatic and accusatory as that? Please explain this crash epidemic for those of us that don't know anything about it.

Hi,

Every time i try it in a session it last 5-10 minutes and freezes.

I persevered with it and kept trying it and i all i got was crashes.

i'll upload a video later

Chris