Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Komplete 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308873)

Soundtrack2life 10-09-2011 12:23 PM

Komplete 8

I got an email last month ago to upgrade to Komplete 8. Just curious if anyone else has upgraded and how it is playing along with Pro Tools. FWIW my Komplete 5 is crashing PT 9.0.3 and I was hoping that K8 (Kontakt most specifically) would fix the problem.
Joe

Micks_Mix 10-09-2011 12:27 PM

Re: Komplete 8

I have Komplete 8 Ultimate, no problems...
But I am using PT 8.1

nst7 10-09-2011 12:33 PM

Komplete 5 is 3 versions ago. It wouldn't be compatible with Snow Leopard, Lion, or Windows 7. Not surprising that it's not working with PT9.

You'll definitely want to upgrade to 8 if you plan on trying to use it at all. From Komplete 6 on, it's been working pretty well for most people.

You might also consider going to Komplete 8 Ultimate, if there's an upgrade for that as well.

Soundtrack2life 10-09-2011 01:10 PM

Actually Komplete 5 worked well for me up until I updated to PT 9.0.3 & OSX 10.6.8. Looks like I will be updating then. . . . .glad to hear it is working well on the latest version.

Obsidian Dragon 10-09-2011 08:22 PM

I purchased the upgrade to Komplete 8 for $199 but afterwards, I wished that I got Komplete 8 Ultimate instead for $499. It has much more content which is the point of buying software instruments in the first place.

Eric Lambert 10-09-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 1842728)
Komplete 5 is 3 versions ago. It wouldn't be compatible with Snow Leopard, Lion, or Windows 7.

That's simply false information and shouldn't be posted.

I'm using Komplete 5 with Snow Leopard on 7 or 8 different machines and it's absolutely flawless. No crashes in years. I refuse to upgrade because it's not broken and I've had my share of "broken" from NI over the past decade.

nst7 10-10-2011 07:01 AM

Well, it's not false info according to the website. A few of the products in K5 are listed as not compatible, such as Absynth 4 and Guitar Rig 3, as well as the discontinued products such as B4II, Acoustik Piano, etc.

There are probably workarounds, and you may indeed have it working flawlessly, which is great, but as far as I can see on their website, it would not be "officially" qualified. My point to the OP was that he shouldn't be surprised if software that was 3 versions old was having a few issues.

Carl Lie 10-10-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 1842805)
I purchased the upgrade to Komplete 8 for $199 but afterwards, I wished that I got Komplete 8 Ultimate instead for $499. It has much more content which is the point of buying software instruments in the first place.

I was thinking that but I don't think I'd use the extra stuff as I already have Session Strings Pro and the Scarbee Stuff. Decisions, decisions..

C

Obsidian Dragon 10-10-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Lie (Post 1842901)
I was thinking that but I don't think I'd use the extra stuff as I already have Session Strings Pro and the Scarbee Stuff. Decisions, decisions..

C

The Scarbee Bass stuff is what I was disappointed that it was not included in Komplete 8 but only in Komplete 8 Ultimate. There is only on bass model included instead of all of them. Unfortunately S/W is not returnable or else I would have returned it for the Ultimate bundle. At this point, I'll just wait until next year's upgrade to get the ultimate bundle.

nst7 10-10-2011 08:13 AM

To Obsidian,

It looks like "regular" Komplete 8 is now eligible for the upgrade to K8 Ultimate, and the price is just the difference between them, so you wouldn't even lose any money. On the NI Website it specifically says K2 thru 8. On Sweetwater's website it says 2 thru 7, but I called someone there and their info sheet says "2 or later".

In fact, you can get it from Guitar Center (store or website) and get 15% off through today with their Columbus Day coupon, making the upgrade $425.

To Carl Lie,

You can sell your existing licenses for Session Strings Pro, Scarbee and anything else you have, which would offset your costs at least somewhat. You would need to provide the installers and samples on a disc for the buyer, since they probably couldn't download it. I'm not sure how much you could get for them, but it might be worth a shot.