Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Which Reverb Plug-In? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=234999)

L-Dogg 12-29-2008 02:26 PM

Which Reverb Plug-In?

Hi folks.....I have a 2.66 Mac Pro Quad and a 2.4 Gig Dual Core Macbook Pro.

I am still on PT7 LE but eventually would like to go to PT8LE.

What I am curious about is which reverb plug-in you guys like the most as far as 3rd party or even Digi. I am obviously not a huge fan of D-Verb although it has done the job so far.

I would like to upgrade to a better reverb. It needs to be both PT7 and PT8 capable in case I go to PT8 sooner. Buck$ wise I would like to not get too close to $500 ...around $300 and change would be nice....but I am open to suggestion.

So...PCI card type like the UAD or software type...? I suppose since I am thinking about getting Logic as well, a plug that will work for both platforms will be nice...I ask a lot I know.

Any suggestions will be welcomed with much appreciation.

Thanks.

RobertDorn 12-29-2008 02:49 PM

Re: Which Reverb Plug-In?

The new AIR-verb that comes with PT8 is a totally different animal than the D-verb with a far more PRO-character. Depending on where you want to use it for, as far as I have used it IMHO it's especially useful in dance-orientated productions or when you will need/like a more 'fresh' high frequency orientated verb. When you're looking for more subtile ambient and warm verbs you will more likely need something like TL-space or Altiverb

RussUK 12-29-2008 03:08 PM

I use an external Lexicon reverb, bit as said the new AIR is a different animal to Dverb.

BlueThursday 12-29-2008 03:24 PM

Lexicon external here also, waiting to get PT8 and see how it's supplied plug-ins compare.

lwilliam 12-29-2008 03:44 PM

Last night I spent a little time comparing my Waves IR-1, the AIR Reverb, DVerb, Waves Renaissance Reverb, and Altiverb.

Altiverb still won hands down. It's got the best IRs - it's also the most CPU intensive. I have everything from huge Churches with 12 second RT60s, to small studio spaces and car interiors; I also have the Lexicon 480 IRs, so I can make it sound like that as well.

The Waves IR-1 was a close 2nd to Altiverb. It came with some very nice IRs, including a bunch of the Lexicon 480 IRs and cathedrals, studios, etc.

The "new" Dverb has telltale pitch changing in the tails that's probably related to the chorus effect. Not good, IMHO. Dverb might be ok for short ambience, but I'm simply not a fan.

AIR Reverb and Renaissance Reverb were similar in quality. Not bad, and very usable in certain situations. Both are better than Dverb.

I didn't get a chance to compare Waves Trueverb although I own it. I do use it for shorter (< 1 sec) spaces and it's pretty good for that.

I have not compared the Digi TL Space, but it may be the best bang for the buck if it comes with good IRs since it can be bought as part of the MPT2 package.

For those long reverbs (> 3 seconds), convolution is the best way to go. When you're at 1.5 seconds or shorter, color or naturalness may be your preference. The AIR Reverb is certainly colorful, and pretty musical, too...and the cost is right (free!).

Of course what is musical is a very relative term, so YMMV...

Keybeeetsss 12-29-2008 05:20 PM

I too use a Lexicon MPX 1 most of the time but my fave ITB verb is TL Space, then IK CSR verbs... Altiverb is nicse too but I don't use it much tho...

BradLyons 12-29-2008 06:02 PM

IMHO, buy the MPToolKit2 bundle which is $395---that includes TLSPACE which is incredible, but it comes with SO much more stuff! Check it out on my website:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPToolkit2/

I have nearly every reverb plugin there is for ProTools, this is my favorite by a mile.

windsongstudios 12-29-2008 10:51 PM

I really enjoy Revolver by McDSP. It has some great convulsion models of hardware verbs. TL Space and IK Multimedia's Classic Reverb bundle is pretty good too. If I only had money for one and hardware wasnt't a choice I would get Revolver hands down.

ryan_hyy 12-30-2008 02:09 AM

I use Altiverb for convolution sound and I also love Breverb~

pezking 12-30-2008 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwilliam (Post 1325495)
AIR Reverb and Renaissance Reverb were similar in quality. Not bad, and very usable in certain situations.

Interesting comment. I'm not overly a fan of AIR reverb, but it's definitely better than D-Verb. I'd find it more useful in a dense mix.

I put my vote with TL-Space. For the price it's awesome, and has been previously mentioned you can get it with Music Production Toolkit 2 which gives you a few other things too including Smack and Eleven (better than the free version). I use TL Space a lot with the classical stuff I do - mainly choral stuff.