Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   For mastering - multiple mono or interleaved? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387845)

kirkbross 01-07-2017 03:25 PM

For mastering - multiple mono or interleaved?

I've heard that mastering pros like to work with multiple mono files as opposed to an interleaved stereo file...

Is this true, and why... or is this one of those 'doesn't make much difference' things?

albee1952 01-07-2017 04:14 PM

Re: For mastering - multiple mono or interleaved?

#1-I can't imagine why it would matter
#2-I always send interleaved files and have never been asked for otherwise
#3-most ME's that I know will convert to analog and route thru analog gear(so interleaved or not is mostly irrelevant)
#4-I'm hardly an expert so I will watch other's replies:D

grovephil 01-08-2017 04:15 AM

Never had multiple mono files requested for mastering. Video editors sometimes prefer multiple mono, I have OMF packages from VEs come to me in this format. Not sure why, maybe it's a characteristic of FCP or Premiere workflow.

Bob Olhsson 01-08-2017 08:22 AM

With interleaved files from Pro Tools 10 and earlier I found I could improve imaging if I converted to dual mono and then re-interleaved using different software. From PT11 and later I haven't heard this.

It obviously makes no sense at all but I could put the files on two tracks, close my eyes and spot the difference switching between them every single time.

deanrichard 01-08-2017 09:52 AM

Bob, that sounds crazy. Could it have something to do with how PT handles panning prior to PT 11? From a purely mathematical point of view what you heard makes no sense unless there was an error of some sort in the software. But as you are well aware, PT 11 does have a different audio engine, so if something was broken it apparently has been fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 2405693)
With interleaved files from Pro Tools 10 and earlier I found I could improve imaging if I converted to dual mono and then re-interleaved using different software. From PT11 and later I haven't heard this.

It obviously makes no sense at all but I could put the files on two tracks, close my eyes and spot the difference switching between them every single time.

midnightrambler 01-08-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkbross (Post 2405630)
I've heard that mastering pros like to work with multiple mono files as opposed to an interleaved stereo file...

That's kinda funny, 'cause my mastering guy used to always to playfully mock me for not having the ability to create interleaved files in Tools.

lemix 01-08-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2405638)
#1-I can't imagine why it would matter
#2-I always send interleaved files and have never been asked for otherwise
#3-most ME's that I know will convert to analog and route thru analog gear(so interleaved or not is mostly irrelevant)
#4-I'm hardly an expert so I will watch other's replies:D

#4 from albee :-)
OK..it doesn't really matter. An ME will handle both without any problem.

jkess 04-04-2017 09:45 AM

I moved to mastering a few years back and don't do a whole lot of mixing anymore but I wound up working on a project for someone and this subject came up again and if I'd have bet money I would have lost. On PT 12.5.2 and there still is a difference between multiple mono and stereo interleaved, though it was only some of the effects that popped through inverting the two options against each other. I was very surprised as that makes no sense to me. I wonder why this is the case...

Bob Olhsson 04-04-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkess (Post 2423098)
I moved to mastering a few years back and don't do a whole lot of mixing anymore but I wound up working on a project for someone and this subject came up again and if I'd have bet money I would have lost. On PT 12.5.2 and there still is a difference between multiple mono and stereo interleaved, though it was only some of the effects that popped through inverting the two options against each other. I was very surprised as that makes no sense to me. I wonder why this is the case...

Great :-(

jkess 04-04-2017 03:32 PM

I'll add that I am using UAD plugins on this and perhaps that has something to do with it? I would think not but worth adding to the pot.