Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who invented the dynamic EQ (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406958)

amagras 10-29-2019 05:55 PM

Who invented the dynamic EQ

Does anyone know? First dynamic EQ ever made? Was it a de-esser? Thx

YYR123 10-29-2019 10:32 PM

Re: Who invented the dynamic EQ

Great question

The first one I remember seeing “branded” as a dynamic EQ was Hofa’s iirc

But yeah a dsessr is indeed what a dynam EQ is

xrekcor 10-30-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2542940)

You didn’t just happen to get your R-EQ updated lately :D

amagras 10-30-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2542960)
You didn’t just happen to get your R-EQ updated lately :D

I did, but that's not a dynamic EQ. The first one I remember seeing was the McDSP, the GUI looks like it's 15 years old.

musicman691 10-30-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2542940)

Taking a WAG but I'll say George Massenburg. After all he invented the parametric EQ right?

JFreak 10-30-2019 02:45 PM

De-Esser is a dynamic eq so try googing who was first. Modern day dynamic EQ would have happened in 90's if the horsepower was there. But it wasn't so de-esser was the best we had back in the day.

albee1952 10-31-2019 07:16 PM

Talking hardware, I remember the BSS 901 coming out in the early nineties. Can't remember any older, though there may have been. I have no clue as to plugin versions:o

Top Jimmy 10-31-2019 08:17 PM

Yes, a de-esser is a dynamic EQ, but I would argue that to be considered a modern-day dynamic EQ, it would need to be able to do both upwards and downwards compression/expansion.

Bob Olhsson 11-01-2019 12:43 PM

The Ortofon high-frequency limiter in the mid-'60s was the first I ever heard of. It was quickly followed by a Neumann.

paulo m 11-03-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2543253)
Yes, a de-esser is a dynamic EQ, but I would argue that to be considered a modern-day dynamic EQ, it would need to be able to do both upwards and downwards compression/expansion.

I don´t consider a de-esser a dynamic EQ. A de-esser is a compressor driven by an EQ´d side chain. Which is different. Meaning is compressing a pre determined frequency range, determined by the sidechain source, that in the case of a plugin, has an EQ built in for that purpose, for filtering what you want to be compressed in the input material. A multiband compressor may also act as a de-esser on the offending frequencies, provided you set the crossovers at the right points, but is not a dynamic EQ either.

In most dynamic EQ´s that I´ve worked with, you have a threshold that determines when the EQ curve will start to be boosted or cut depending on the setting, but despite you having a cut or boost at the chosen frequency curves, you don´t have a compression ratio, which is one of the basic principles of compression. So you´re just cutting or boosting as in a normal EQ, with the difference that the process is automated by the threshold, with some plugins also having an attack and release setting etc.