Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Globally trim down to -6 dBfs? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408878)

atticmike 03-11-2020 11:30 AM

Globally trim down to -6 dBfs?

Howdy there,

I've seen that it's recommended by my converter's manufacturer to trim down the digital input to -6 dBfs.

Is there a way to do it globally on Pro Tools without having to set it up in a session all the time?

albee1952 03-11-2020 12:20 PM

Re: Globally trim down to -6 dBfs?

Here is a couple of options:
1-Enable the ALL group>show volume and drag everything down 6db(after doing that, disable the group and restore AUX tracks volume, assuming sends are POST-fade)
2-Open the TRIM plugin, set it to -6 and then set the plugin to default to user setting. Then insert TRIM in the last slot of every track(then remove or bypass TRIM on AUX tracks). I built TRIM into all my session and track templates, but in bypass mode. When I finish tracking and am ready to mix, I enable the entire row of TRIM plugins with the option command and the entire mix drops 10db(my setting) while maintaining the same balance:D

atticmike 03-11-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2556780)
Here is a couple of options:
1-Enable the ALL group>show volume and drag everything down 6db(after doing that, disable the group and restore AUX tracks volume, assuming sends are POST-fade)
2-Open the TRIM plugin, set it to -6 and then set the plugin to default to user setting. Then insert TRIM in the last slot of every track(then remove or bypass TRIM on AUX tracks). I built TRIM into all my session and track templates, but in bypass mode. When I finish tracking and am ready to mix, I enable the entire row of TRIM plugins with the option command and the entire mix drops 10db(my setting) while maintaining the same balance:D

ya that's what I do on the bus, I just need -6 for monitoring level, I wish there was a global trim for monitors so you're not slamming the distortion which occurs close to 0 dBfs.

atticmike 06-08-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticmike (Post 2556784)
ya that's what I do on the bus, I just need -6 for monitoring level, I wish there was a global trim for monitors so you're not slamming the distortion which occurs close to 0 dBfs.

Would be nice if you could trim the IO down...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

JFreak 06-09-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticmike (Post 2556784)

Make the Master Fader of your output visible, turn down -6, done.

noeqplease 06-09-2020 06:30 AM

Just do it at the converter. Does it not have trim pots of other level pots on it? Then all your input levels are always where that manufacturer suggested they be at.

If your converter has no way to trim to the level they recommend, then they are dunces. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFreak 06-09-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noeqplease (Post 2568919)
Just do it at the converter. Does it not have trim pots of other level pots on it?

That would affect all sessions. Sure if you have a one trick pony that could work but I am thinking it is much easier to drop levels on a session level

noeqplease 06-09-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2568920)
That would affect all sessions. Sure if you have a one trick pony that could work but I am thinking it is much easier to drop levels on a session level

Yes which is what the manufacturer of the converter recommends. This is for the converter not the session...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFreak 06-09-2020 09:15 AM

It would not make any difference. If your converter drops -6dB with session full scale, it is just the same if session drops -6dB and converter is full scale. I prefer the latter but whatever works for you.

atticmike 06-09-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2568946)
It would not make any difference. If your converter drops -6dB with session full scale, it is just the same if session drops -6dB and converter is full scale. I prefer the latter but whatever works for you.

True but it would be part of my session template and I wouldn't run into something internally that Pro Tools might add. Simple trim number on the IOs, it would also allow you to trim send and returns.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk