Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390507)

jeffro 04-17-2017 11:05 AM

R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth

I first heard Allan Holdsworth on the debut album from U.K., then bought everything else I could find that he was a part of… Bundles (Soft Machine), Gazeuse! (Gong), Velvet Darkness (which I found out later was released without his permission!). Despite his amazing talent it was tough to get his stuff new back then, so most of these were from used record stores - kind of a musical treasure hunt. We had the privilege of seeing him at all 3 of his bay area gigs supporting his IOU album. It was incredibly inspiring but I did wonder what I would do with all my free time after selling my guitars! Grateful for the music he left us with.

taylor4814 04-17-2017 12:14 PM

Re: R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth

Same here... first heard him on the debut album from U.K.; also had Velvet Darkness; then on thru I.O.U., Metal Fatigue, et al; truly transcendent, mind-bending music. Glad to have seen him live once, just a few years ago... R.I.P.

cwsand 04-17-2017 12:30 PM

Wow - what a talent and such a great loss... :(

amagras 04-17-2017 02:10 PM

He, Scott and Pat are my favourite guitar players, is good to know others like his music as much as I do. Ive been listening to Atavachron and Metal Fatigue since I heard the news yesterday.

albee1952 04-17-2017 03:00 PM

What an amazing talent! I saw him in a tiny club in Northampton, MA a good 25 years ago and he was a freak of nature(in a wonderful way). God speed:o

Muddy-T 04-17-2017 04:59 PM

That is truly sad news, I hadn't heard.

Think I'll have a Brewed Condiment now...

Cheers Allan.

Barry Johns 04-18-2017 09:21 PM

His playing is way to heady for my meager mind to wrap my head around, he has changed the way the guitar is played way more than the better known players aka, Van Halen, Via, Satch, all great, but he was light years ahead of all of them!

TOM@METRO 04-18-2017 10:04 PM

An irreplaceable loss.

musicman691 04-19-2017 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2425399)
He, Scott and Pat are my favourite guitar players, is good to know others like his music as much as I do. Ive been listening to Atavachron and Metal Fatigue since I heard the news yesterday.

I'm guessing Pat is Pat Metheny but who is Scott?

I'd never actually been to one of his concerts but did hear him through the doorway of a club in New Hope PA. Remember seeing what looked like a large rack of gear on stage with him. It's a shame he never got the radio airplay he deserved, even down on the left end of the FM dial (where a lot of the college stations live). WPRB in Princeton would play some of his stuff but that depended on what semester it was and who's show it was.

amagras 04-19-2017 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2425754)
I'm guessing Pat is Pat Metheny but who is Scott?

Scott Henderson (Tribal Tech, Joe Zawinul), Allan helped launching his career and even lend him his gear during the recording of the first album with TT.

Pat, in combination with Lyle Mays must be one of my favourite contemporary jazz composers.