Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I need a flexible RTAS pattern generator/slicer/ (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=277252)

Infiltrator 07-04-2010 10:45 AM

I need a flexible RTAS pattern generator/slicer/

Why am I having severe issues finding a slicer plug-in that either processes the audio as an insert, or one which acts as a modulation CC midi source routable to anything MIDI?

But it must allow access to an extremely flexible step-sequencer mod source with different shapes to allow me to edit a multi-point, stepped envelope, or patterned slicer which allows for the steps to be curves, ramps, triangles, different waves, saws, squiggly tremolo patterns within the steps, or for the user to be able to draw it out on their own across a multi-point envelope - and either have this sit on the channel as an insert to act either on the level of the audio (at the very least) or any other characteristic of the audio (whatever features the plug-in has). ... OR to act as a CC mod destination to i can send that as a modulation source to any RTAS soft synth or to my Virus - because my virus allows external mod sources of all sorts.

But this has to be a very flexible multi-point envelope or step sequence with tons of options. If I cannot get this in the virus, what is a good tool for this to be able to assign it as a midi mod souce assigning it to some sort of CC and mod source input into the Virus to mod the level of the virus or the other mod destinations.

Somebody told me that only Fruity loops has a flexible slicer like this out of all the DAWs. If that claim is true, then i find that very very disturbing.

Gothboy 07-04-2010 10:48 AM

Re: I need a flexible RTAS pattern generator/slicer/

Doesn't Transfuser do all of this?

Infiltrator 07-04-2010 10:53 AM

I am looking at the transfuser videos and I can only see it kind of acts more like a drum machine and also does stuff similar to beat detective by detecting transients. But I do not need it for drum loops. Let me re-explain: lets say I want to lay down a synthesizer lead - how would transfuser work to patternize that?

I think Transfuser is more of some sort of drum machine acting on transients.

Gothboy 07-04-2010 02:27 PM

Yeah it's a beat module but it's got a slicer right in it. You drag an audio file in and it slices it up. You know I have Transfuser but I haven't installed and used it yet. I'm too busy finishing up an album...so I can't explain it all correctly....but you can also just put it on a track and have audio go right in.

If you want a synth with a sick pattern gen that you can paint in curves you should check out NI Massive. That I have and HAVE used and it's great for that.

burningbusch 07-04-2010 02:39 PM

In addition to Massive, Omnisphere has very flexible modulation envelopes.

For an audio plugin, check out Loomer's Sequent.

http://www.loomer.co.uk/sequent.htm

Busch.

Infiltrator 07-04-2010 08:09 PM

Yup I just tried Massive - that is the exact patternizer I am referring to, but can't i output that massive pattern as a CC source to input as midi controller data to the virus?

But as for the loomer sequent you recommended me, the Virus already has a window similar to the sequence window. I am talking about a much more flexible multi-point stepper like the Massive one - but as a CC source.

And for omnisphere's flexible envelope modding, can the pattern be set as a CC mod source and go externally? I dont know how to explain that question in any other way other than the fact that I know the Virus has various ways of inputting CC data - such as CC dials, aftertouch, mod wheel, data entry, expression pedal, and all the usuall ones like portamento etc... but it also has some sources called "controller 3", controller 9, controller 12, controller 13, controller 14, controller 15, and stops at controller 16. these do not appear to be standard CC numbers and the manual does not explain what these are. I assume these are some external controllers of various sorts.

Infiltrator 07-04-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothboy (Post 1632125)

If you want a synth with a sick pattern gen that you can paint in curves you should check out NI Massive. That I have and HAVE used and it's great for that.

Yes but what if I want to use that performer stepper as a mod source to something outside massive? I need something like that as a mod source to the virus, but loomer does not have the same shape painting capabilities.

Gothboy 07-05-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infiltrator (Post 1632188)
Yes but what if I want to use that performer stepper as a mod source to something outside massive? I need something like that as a mod source to the virus, but loomer does not have the same shape painting capabilities.

I looked at the manual and you can't achieve that with Massive unfortunately...nor can you process external audio with it alas.

Infiltrator 07-05-2010 09:41 AM

Actually, I found another one. i can just use this in reaktor. here is the link:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...6&d=1278316417

but does anyone know how i assign this to the CC modulation source of another soft synth sitting on an instrument track? for example - my virus control plug-in. do I put this on an aux?

Infiltrator 08-31-2010 09:01 AM

Ok so apparently there is a way to route it to a plug-in by using something called Midi Yoke for the PC open outside of pro tools - reaktor open outside pro tools - that is.

But is there a way to make this just act as a slicer on the level of the audio without having to rely on external programs? (Basically a pattern on the volume but putting the ensemble in reaktor on the track and making it act on the level of audio already existing on the track? or is this only for the assigned CC? So would that act on the track's own volume? But do audio tracks even recognize the CC for level? Is that even a CC?

Because thats what I would only use it for if I am not doing the CC assign for the cutoff of another soft synth with the Midi Yoke solution which needs reaktor open outside of pro tools - I want Reaktor open inside of pro tools acting on level.

Otherwise, maybe I can try Absynth because apparently it can act as an effects unit for incoming audio.