Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why is there no playlist view for midi? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284050)

usastra 10-13-2010 01:11 PM

Why is there no playlist view for midi?

Sometimes I'd like to try out different ideas with midi and comp them to a new part.
I love the new playlist view and edit functions for audio in PT8 and it would be great to do the same thing with midi.

daeron80 10-13-2010 06:30 PM

Re: Why is there no playlist view for midi?

You can still create multiple MIDI playlists, right? We've been able to do that for some time. They haven't removed that, I hope. You just mean being able to see several at once, like with audio? You can always flip between the takes, copy, and paste into a comp playlist. I hope you can do that with 8! Surely someone else would have complained by now.

usastra 10-13-2010 07:28 PM

Yes, I meant to option to see several playlists at once. That way I can move between playlists with shortcuts and use the move to top playlist comping feature.

snake doc 10-13-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usastra (Post 1681253)
Yes, I meant to option to see several playlists at once. That way I can move between playlists with shortcuts and use the move to top playlist comping feature.

YESSS!!! this is a must. It's a no brainer. It's no different than the function for audio playlist view for a guitar or vox take. I'd like to loop around a section and lay down strike, or velvet, or whatever midi a couple of different ways and then comp together the best parts.

Please fix this... and then at a shortcut or at least some way to quickkey a "new playlist" function so I don't have to mouse over to it

Dizzi45Z 10-13-2010 08:06 PM

I agree. It was the first disappointment that I posted about here on the forum after I installed Pro Tools 8 a couple years ago.

tonwurm 10-14-2010 01:13 AM

I suspect they just forgot to implent it ... or should it have been too much work ? :rolleyes:

myhrik 10-14-2010 06:43 AM

YES, I have been missing this function as well!!

I am recording electric drum pads (through Superior Drummer 2) with acoustic cymbals, and although I can group the stereo audio and the midi tracks together, I cannot use playlist view since then it "splits" the takes and only changes the audio takes, not the midi ones. So I have to comp the tracks using the old method...

daeron80 10-15-2010 02:04 PM

Whew! You know, the old method works great. I've been doing it since, what was it, 5.0 that introduced playlists? So it's not like you can't comp MIDI. It just takes a little longer. No pun intended. We should be glad we don't have to do it the really old way of dragging takes from the Regions bin one by one and spotting them into place. Or the really really old method of having a separate track for each take and muting/unmuting regions.

uno1234 10-15-2010 06:12 PM

Wait, what are midi tracks?

guitarman6 11-21-2010 10:05 AM

Bump. Working on a session now and really wish this feature was available. in instrument and midi tracks.