Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   "The Project owner has deleted the shared project" - offline Projects lost (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404328)

rcprog 05-03-2019 10:49 AM

"The Project owner has deleted the shared project" - offline Projects lost

I had at least a dozen projects saved locally on my computer and yesterday updated the Pro Tools First to Version 2018.7 and now I cannot find my projects. Did the update delete my projects? any Ideas of how to restore them?

Thank you,
Denis

zardy 05-03-2019 11:05 AM

"The Project owner has deleted the shared project"

Hi, i am a newby i'm using pro tools first to try to learn how to use the software. I have a big problem that's not letting me improve.

Everytime i am working on a project, suddently a pop un come out saying "the owner of the project has deleted the shared project..." or something similar and everything will be deleted with no possibility to open it again.

What does it mean? The owner of the project should be me, but i did not delete anything.

Thanks for your help guys

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Barryd 05-07-2019 02:05 AM

All my projects vanished

Hi all

Newbie here. Been getting to grips with Pro Tools first for a couple of months after using Audacity for a couple of years. Its my first proper DAW and its been a bit of a steep learning curve. Been trying to join this forum for a while now but had a lot of trouble getting registered.

Anyway I managed eventually so first question if I may.

I know with Pro Tools first your only supposed to be allowed three projects but I assumed they were online projects so I had about twenty on the go which were offline. On Sunday night after a long session I got some obscure message appear which I just cancelled and then all my projects just vanished apart from two that were online projects. Gone. rebooted and still not there.

Any idea why where or how? Can they be recovered?

I use the PC version on a Windows 10 PC.

Will probably have tons of questions now Ive finally managed to join.

cmm10a 05-07-2019 10:45 AM

Re: The owner has deleted shared project

Same issue here. Had some advice from someone on fb to not name your project with a previous name. Which I thought would work but today, I opened the same project continuing my work and this message popped up. I have a feeling it may have to do with being connected to the interned but I cannot be sure since the last time it happened I was not connected for the internet.

junkgear 05-07-2019 12:13 PM

Re: All my projects vanished

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...t-files-stored

Please be sure to read the PTF manual on how to manage projects.

zardy 05-08-2019 02:16 AM

I don't know. I was always connected to the internet when it happened.
Another thing I have noticed is that the count of my projects is not up to date. I have now 0 projects but the count says 2/3. Anyone?
Thanks

Marco

Barryd 05-08-2019 04:06 AM

Thanks. That image shows me the folder they are stored in I think but how do I go about getting them back? When I open pro tools I just get an option to open or create and in open there are just four projects now. Three online ones and one offline I created last night.

Netmania 05-10-2019 07:23 AM

Same happened to me many times. I was hoping this problem get a fix with 2019.5. It did not. This morning i made a session with PT First - it`s now officially announced that i can record as many sessions as i like.

After the lunch i was coming back, my mac lost Wifi Connection - an i got this message like in this post stated. I could not change anything. My work from 4 hours was completely removed from my harddisk - without my permission. This is a complete no go. It seems to me that this is the worst decision to trust my intellectual work to this product. And furthermore - will not lead me to upgrade to any Pro Tools Version.

I am working with Audio Sequencer Applications since 30+ Years. Started with 12, 24 , Cubit , Cubase, Magix, Logic 9, Logic X. Never ever in my whole Life i had this kind of issue. This has to be fixed immediately - otherwise i can not recommend Pro Tools First for my students to start.

Hoping that someone from the Avid Staff takes this to responsible person.

zardy 05-10-2019 08:30 AM

So you also think it's an internet connection issue? Any official ProTools answer?

Thanks

Marco

Netmania 05-10-2019 08:55 AM

Hi Marco,
as Avid themselves are stating in their known issues:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projects and Collaboration
Disconnecting from the internet or closing a project during project synchronization can result in failed project synchronization. (PT-202643)
To prevent potential synchronization with projects, do not disrupt the project synchronization while it is in progress. Avoid disconnect- ing from the internet, turning off WiFi, shutting your laptop, or quitting Pro Tools | First during this time. To monitor the progress of project synchronization, choose Window > Task Manager.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this Issue is not new - it can be found in Documentaries for several PT First Versions before. You will find the complete Issue Overview under Read Me First in your Account under Pro Tools Downloads.

That means, if my Mac - for whatever reason - decides to disconnect my Wifi (Also a very familiar issue under MacOs Mojave!!!) risk is very high that PT First deletes the session files for itself. Without anything i can do.

Best wishes

Mike

zardy 05-10-2019 09:56 AM

Thanks again!

Marco

Netmania 05-10-2019 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once again - I´m very dissapointed.

I have attached a Screenshot

zardy 05-13-2019 03:59 AM

I have updated now to pro tools 2019.5 and after 10 minutes of work the message came out again. It is unusable. How can I learn using Pro Tools in this way??
Is there any chance to get this issue solved soon?
Thanks

Marco

lesf42 05-13-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netmania (Post 2524854)
Hi Marco,

as Avid themselves are stating in their known issues:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Projects and Collaboration

Disconnecting from the internet or closing a project during project synchronization can result in failed project synchronization. (PT-202643)

To prevent potential synchronization with projects, do not disrupt the project synchronization while it is in progress. Avoid disconnect- ing from the internet, turning off WiFi, shutting your laptop, or quitting Pro Tools | First during this time. To monitor the progress of project synchronization, choose Window > Task Manager.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this Issue is not new - it can be found in Documentaries for several PT First Versions before. You will find the complete Issue Overview under Read Me First in your Account under Pro Tools Downloads.

That means, if my Mac - for whatever reason - decides to disconnect my Wifi (Also a very familiar issue under MacOs Mojave!!!) risk is very high that PT First deletes the session files for itself. Without anything i can do.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi All, I had this very issue on Sunday.

I'd been telling a friend about new features, and how it would help us being able to collaborate on his recordings.

I'd imported some of my his audio tracks, when a short lived power cut turned off the router and when I came back to the project, it had vanished from the PC!

I checked on YouTube, and someone had very recently posted a video about this issue.

I really can't believe that this is not a bug! How can it be acceptable that losing work through a loss of internet is not a major issue!

I may have to reconsider recommending Pro Tools First to my friend.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

jgdeschamps 05-14-2019 08:01 AM

Same problem, only that it seems it has to do with project sync on the cloud. If you create a new project without backing it up to the cloud, at some point it will delete the project.
I was doing some testing yesterday, and I've found that if you create a project with cloud backup, PTF won't delete it, it will just warn you that you are working with a project not synced to the cloud and will ask if you want to keep working or close the project for cloud sync.
So I would advise that if you don't want to lose your project, accept cloud backup when creating it, and after you are done just delete it from the cloud and keep it in your hard drive.
I have a theory: it might be a problem derived from a combo of iCloud Drive's selective file backup to cloud that disrupts your session's file structure and internal backups... though I'm not 100% sure since I didn't try shutting down iCloud Drive Documents folder sync since I already needed some sleep. :o

lesf42 05-14-2019 08:09 AM

Same problem too, but on Windows 10. Will try your process. On Sunday, I lost a project which I was helping a friend with. Had the project open and saved locally, then lost internet due to a power cut, came back to it and the project vanished!!

zardy 05-14-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgdeschamps (Post 2525625)
Same problem, only that it seems it has to do with project sync on the cloud. If you create a new project without backing it up to the cloud, at some point it will delete the project.

I was doing some testing yesterday, and I've found that if you create a project with cloud backup, PTF won't delete it, it will just warn you that you are working with a project not synced to the cloud and will ask if you want to keep working or close the project for cloud sync.

So I would advise that if you don't want to lose your project, accept cloud backup when creating it, and after you are done just delete it from the cloud and keep it in your hard drive.

I have a theory: it might be a problem derived from a combo of iCloud Drive's selective file backup to cloud that disrupts your session's file structure and internal backups... though I'm not 100% sure since I didn't try shutting down iCloud Drive Documents folder sync since I already needed some sleep. :o

Thanks. Sounds really helpful to me!

Marco

jgdeschamps 05-14-2019 09:03 AM

I do think Avid should look into it, since I don't think that would be the correct workflow.
Also, if someone from Avid's support team is reading this thread: you guys should really write down an explanation on PTF's help docs regarding project creation with no cloud back up/sync. How it should work, troubleshooting, etc. because it is annoying that local project creation is being touted as a new feature and there is no written support for it, and the application is erasing said projects within 5 to 10 minutes of creation with no chance of recovering the files you already recorded.

EDIT: I'm testing PTF's local project creation -no cloud sync or backup- using a wired internet connection (ethernet) and it's not presenting the problem, so if anyone here wants to try it out to confirm this...

zardy 05-14-2019 10:51 AM

Have another problem now. Project counts says 2/3 but i have deleted all and there are no projects in my 'open' folder. Solutions?

Marco

jgdeschamps 05-14-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zardy (Post 2525662)
Have another problem now. Project counts says 2/3 but i have deleted all and there are no projects in my 'open' folder. Solutions?

Marco

Try using a wired internet connection so it syncs with Avid's servers in a more reliable way. A great number of users here are having the same problem as you do.

lesf42 05-15-2019 03:05 AM

Honestly Avid, this is beyond a joke! 20 minutes ago, I set up two projects, one being the first one I tried on Sunday, and the other, new files for a remix.

I was on the phone for a while, saw the internet had had a brief blip, and now both locally saved projects have gone. Still showing in Open recent, but vanished!!

Until this is sorted, there is no point in trying to use PTF!

jgdeschamps 05-15-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesf42 (Post 2525775)
Honestly Avid, this is beyond a joke! 20 minutes ago, I set up two projects, one being the first one I tried on Sunday, and the other, new files for a remix.

I was on the phone for a while, saw the internet had had a brief blip, and now both locally saved projects have gone. Still showing in Open recent, but vanished!!

Until this is sorted, there is no point in trying to use PTF!

Yes, it's annoying. I used to have a Pro Tools LE system with an original MBox (the Focusrite one) for personal recordings, and I used to operate a Digi 001 setup for a local cumbia group's studio, both under MacOS 9. Fantastic DAW setup, so intuitive and reliable with great performance. But after Digidesign switched to MacOS X, all of those treats went down the drain. I switched to Logic Platinum and then to Logic Studio after Apple bought Emagic. But there was always something missing that Pro Tools had under MacOS 9. Recently switched to Studio One Pro v4 and it's fantastic, but I constantly yearn to go back to Pro Tools. I'm doing better now money-wise so I'm testing the waters with PTF to see if it's worth buying (not renting) a regular Pro Tools license so I can use all of my Waves plugins, but if PT is as buggy as PTF is, it will be a no-go. It's a shame, since Pro Tools has the best workflow of all DAWs.

Darryl Ramm 05-15-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgdeschamps (Post 2525848)
Yes, it's annoying. I used to have a Pro Tools LE system with an original MBox (the Focusrite one) for personal recordings, and I used to operate a Digi 001 setup for a local cumbia group's studio, both under MacOS 9. Fantastic DAW setup, so intuitive and reliable with great performance. But after Digidesign switched to MacOS X, all of those treats went down the drain. I switched to Logic Platinum and then to Logic Studio after Apple bought Emagic. But there was always something missing that Pro Tools had under MacOS 9. Recently switched to Studio One Pro v4 and it's fantastic, but I constantly yearn to go back to Pro Tools. I'm doing better now money-wise so I'm testing the waters with PTF to see if it's worth buying (not renting) a regular Pro Tools license so I can use all of my Waves plugins, but if PT is as buggy as PTF is, it will be a no-go. It's a shame, since Pro Tools has the best workflow of all DAWs.

Pro Tools First is unfortunately a waste of time if you want to get to Pro Tools. You can rent Pro Tools standard per month or get a free one month evaluation of Pro Tools Ultimate.... the same exact binary with a few extra features unlocked, and the sessions are compatible, so you can play with that that then purchase Pro Tools standard. And you can do all that with standard plugin compatibility and local sessions not flakey cloud projects—neither possible with The highly crippled First. It is not your fault that the cloud storage part of First is such a mess, but I do question that if you have experience with Pro Tools in the past and want to be on Standard with Waves plugins etc. then you are just wasting time doing anything with First.

https://my.avid.com/get/pro-tools-ultimate-trial

jgdeschamps 05-15-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2525854)
It is not your fault that the cloud storage part of First is such a mess, but I do question that if you have experience with Pro Tools in the past and want to be on Standard with Waves plugins etc. then you are just wasting time doing anything with First.

https://my.avid.com/get/pro-tools-ultimate-trial

Thanks for your reply, and I'll gladly answer your question regarding my choice of installing PTF instead of a full PT demo (though I don't have to): I just wanted to check out what's PT state right now for more than a month using my personal laptop (a 2015 MacBook Air) where it can be contained and mess around with anywhere, and I thought that PTF would be a capable sample similar to what PT LE was to use for more than three or four months... and Avid is presenting it as basically a cloud-centered 16 track version of Pro Tools. I also rented the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle since it has similar plugins to the Waves I own. I am aware of the one month trial and month-to-month rent of regular PT, but I already own Studio One Pro and have that one installed at home on an iMac dedicated just for that DAW, I'm in no need or hurry to rent full PT. Just want to get used to it (and its bugs) just in case I do decide to switch back. I don't do audio recording for a living anymore. It's just a very involving hobby now.

Now, back on topic... I also found some stability with local project creation and conservation (if you wanna call it like that) by keeping your internet connection on while PTF starts and until you create a new project. Then, after you load your project and get to the Edit/Mix project windows, turn off your internet connection. PTF will just inform you your offline status, but the application won't close and erase the project while you are working. Also, the projects will be there after you close and return to PTF later.

Just some recommendations to fellow users who don't want to lose work when using PTF, because even though I complain, I do try to be constructive and cooperative too.

Darryl Ramm 05-15-2019 11:52 AM

And again, this is wasting your time.. you should value your own time spent here at something, hopefully more than the cost of a monthly subscription. All the problems you are having are the flakey cloud storage stuff in Pro Tools First. Pro Tools standard (aka “real” Pro Tools) using local sessions have none of this crap to put up with. The thing you, and other users, have control of that will immediately stop all these problems is to stop using First. Otherwise it’s kind of advice that hitting yourself with a hammer in the head hurts... if folks just want to play, sure do whatever. But if this is causing folks frustration just get off this mess. If not Pro Tools Standard, there are lots of great other DAWs (as mentioned).

zardy 05-15-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgdeschamps (Post 2525694)
Try using a wired internet connection so it syncs with Avid's servers in a more reliable way. A great number of users here are having the same problem as you do.

Does not work also with wired connection. Can I uninstall and reinstall PT to solve the problem? I'm not sure as it is a cloud issue...
I have no projects open.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8d0d983197.jpg

Marco

jgdeschamps 05-15-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zardy (Post 2525882)
Does not work also with wired connection. Can I uninstall and reinstall PT to solve the problem? I'm not sure as it is a cloud issue...
I have no projects open.]

Marco

Have you tried trashing PTF's Preferences before you erase and re-install PTF? Preferences are located within your user's Library/Preferences/Avid folder. If you don't know how to do it, follow these steps while the PTF app is closed: Click the Finder icon on the dock. On the top menu there will be a "Go" option. Click it once so it shows all its options and then press "alt". You will notice a Library folder shows up while you press "alt." Click that "Library" location. A new Finder window will show up with the Library folder showing its contents. Search for the Preferences folder. Trash the Avid preferences. Start PTF.
If that doesn't work, then it's a server error and you will have to contact via e-mail Avid's support so they reset the account for you.

EDIT: Also, before you do all the steps, sign out of your Avid Link account that shows up in the menu bar.

Barryd 05-26-2019 02:41 AM

I had another incident last night.

I spent three days recording a piece and put loads of work into it. I walked away from the PC and came back twenty minutes later to this message on the screen.

"The project owner has deleted the shared project “file name” it will now close and be removed from your account and local computers"

In a panic knowing what happened last time I didnt click ok or anything I just did a cntrl alt and del and killed Pro Tools. I then restarted it and managed to get back into my project but for how long?

Firstly it was never a shared project, secondly I own it and thirdly it was saved offline. What the hell is going on with this software? It seems a tad worrying that someone somewhere can remove my work at will. It certainly does not make me want to purchase the full version.

Not trusting Pro Tools I was constantly exporting copies of my track but this is ridiculous. Is there anyway to stop this happening?

Itsjake 05-26-2019 11:04 AM

The 2019 update of pro tools first is supposed to allow you to have unlimited offline projects. but the program is very glitchy and you can't even depend on it to save anything properly. I got those same messages and all of my projects vanished as well. But even before this 2019 update my 3 online projects still would be very glitchy and not save properly. I guess all we can do is wait and hopefully they can resolve this issue and maybe get our projects back.

Barryd 05-28-2019 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itsjake (Post 2527286)
The 2019 update of pro tools first is supposed to allow you to have unlimited offline projects. but the program is very glitchy and you can't even depend on it to save anything properly. I got those same messages and all of my projects vanished as well. But even before this 2019 update my 3 online projects still would be very glitchy and not save properly. I guess all we can do is wait and hopefully they can resolve this issue and maybe get our projects back.

That doesn't sound good. I do keep seeing a notification down the bottom right about an Avid update but I have not run it. I installed Pro Tools first about three months ago (maybe longer).

I am going away shortly on a long trip where I wont always have an internet connection. I have Pro Tools first also on my laptop. I was wondering what kind of effect it will have if there is no internet connection or if it will work at all.

Its such a pity it seems so unreliable as it does have a lot going for it. I imagine if this is happening to serious composers they are going to have heart failure if they lose all their work.

Barryd 05-28-2019 01:19 AM

Its not just me then? I had about twenty offline projects in Pro Tools first, lost them all eventually. Same thing happened the other day when I went off for twenty minutes to get some wine. Odd stuff happens all the time.

I am going away shortly for a few weeks where I was going to take a laptop with PTF on it but there will be no internet connection. Am I stuffed then? You have to sign on each time you start it so presumably I am? I could open a few projects while at home then save them as offline I guess but will PTF start without an internet connection?

Its a pity as Ive spent three months or so learning it as my first DAW but I am not about to invest money in something that is so unreliable, I am not convinced these problems will go away in a paid for version either.

junkgear 05-28-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barryd (Post 2527469)
Its not just me then? I had about twenty offline projects in Pro Tools first, lost them all eventually. Same thing happened the other day when I went off for twenty minutes to get some wine. Odd stuff happens all the time.

I am going away shortly for a few weeks where I was going to take a laptop with PTF on it but there will be no internet connection. Am I stuffed then? You have to sign on each time you start it so presumably I am? I could open a few projects while at home then save them as offline I guess but will PTF start without an internet connection?

Its a pity as Ive spent three months or so learning it as my first DAW but I am not about to invest money in something that is so unreliable, I am not convinced these problems will go away in a paid for version either.

You do not need an internet connection to work on local projects in PTF.

Please see the PTF FAQ for more information.

Barryd 05-28-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2527518)

Thanks for that. I got the impression you had to be online to sign in but ill give it a whirl before I go off travelling and see what happens.

This bit in your link is interesting.

"Note that Avid made "Backup To Cloud" optional for Projects in April 2019. Disabling this allows you to create an unlimited number of local Projects (previously only available to Pro Tools | First users that had an Avid Premium Cloud Plan)."

So we are not restricted to three projects at all which explains why I had about twenty offline at one point. Sadly all of them vanished in the same way as the OP had theirs go in this thread. It really would be useful to know how to get them back or when a fix might be available to sort it. For me its not the end of the world as I just record and play for fun but it could be devastating for some and may well put them off purchasing the full version.

lesf42 05-28-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2527518)

On this subject, check out a recent video on YouTube channel, RecordingStudio9.com. The guy demonstrates the problem of Pro Tools First losing locally saved projects.

lesf42 05-28-2019 02:34 PM

On this subject, please see a very recent video on YouTube channel, RecordingStudio9.com. The guy demonstrates Pro Tools First losing locally saved projects if internet connection is lost.

Barryd 05-28-2019 03:25 PM

Is it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4x5a--e1qA If so he just seems to explain the problem but not a solution. He also says you cannot use PTF without an internet connection as that is what causes the projects to disappear.

Its quite possible that is what happened to me as I live out in the sticks and the internet connection is not great.

What I did discover the last time I Got the message saying all my projects were about to be deleted was that rather than clicking ok if I did a cntrl at and del, Task manager and just kill pro tools when I Went back in that project was still there. However when I went into it I couldnt edit it or play it. I restarted pro tools again and this time it let me back in.

DigiTechSupt 05-28-2019 03:41 PM

This has been escalated to Engineering for investigation. Avid CS will create cases for those reporting the problem in this thread.

RecordingStudio9 05-28-2019 03:58 PM

Re: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project"

I have now created a video and demonstrated exactly how this big issue arises and what/how it happens.
I hope this video will help you to avoid the situation AND for AVID to (hopefully) see and fix it, otherwise, it will cause a lot of beginners trying out Pro Tools First to see if it's for them, will be VERY disappointed and move to another DAW.
My aim is to get AVID to fix the issue and I'm not trying to bad mouth AVID.
PT First being free, AVID has no support to submit this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqq5nqfL1M

lesf42 05-29-2019 12:25 PM

Re: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project" - offline Projects lost

Just received 3 emails from Avid Support at the same time?

1st says thanks for contacting etc, but as it is free software, check out the forums etc, etc.
2nd email says please take a survey.
3rd email says: Your case number 03710664: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project *name*. It will now close and be removed from your account and all local computers." in Pro Tools First is now closed.

Huh?? Didn't know I'd submitted a case in the first place! The problem/bug hasn't even been addressed??

Thanks Avid!

Barryd 05-29-2019 01:58 PM

Re: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project" - offline Projects lost

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesf42 (Post 2527729)
Just received 3 emails from Avid Support at the same time?

1st says thanks for contacting etc, but as it is free software, check out the forums etc, etc.
2nd email says please take a survey.
3rd email says: Your case number 03710664: "The Project owner has deleted the shared project *name*. It will now close and be removed from your account and all local computers." in Pro Tools First is now closed.

Huh?? Didn't know I'd submitted a case in the first place! The problem/bug hasn't even been addressed??

Thanks Avid!

That all sounds a bit odd as three posts up customer services say they are investigating.

Yes its free but presumably the entire reason its free is to get people to upgrade eventually to the full product and / or buy their plugins. If I were them I would be putting a fair bit of resource into resolving this as a small bug is one thing but users losing potentially weeks or even months of work is really going to piss a lot of people off and it will very quickly get bad mouthed around the forums which is a shame as its great software. its been my first proper DAW after Audacity and quite a learning curve but if its not resolved Ill be switching to Reaper probably.