Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Control 24- new member (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397442)

Xraided28 02-22-2018 09:23 AM

Control 24- new member

hi all

First i want to say sorry in advance because im sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past but
I am looking to upgrade from my current setup i have with my 003 console and looking to get a "vintage" (as some call it) Control 24.

I currently run normal ProTools 10 with my 003 and i dont seem to have many problems becides 2 of my faders being broke.
Ive been searching online and have found a handful of used Control24s floating around for about $1100 for just the control service no other hardware.

Now I know I could use ethernet to connect the control 24, but will that allow it to run as a normal controller /Console for preamps etc
or would i need digidesign 192 or something along those lines?
I am going to be using this as a control surface as well as for its Preamps.

If im not mistaken a can use my normal protools 10 version and run the HD hardware no problem as well correct?

crizdee 02-22-2018 10:44 AM

Re: Control 24- new member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xraided28 (Post 2476835)
hi all

First i want to say sorry in advance because im sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past but
I am looking to upgrade from my current setup i have with my 003 console and looking to get a "vintage" (as some call it) Control 24.

I currently run normal ProTools 10 with my 003 and i dont seem to have many problems becides 2 of my faders being broke.
Ive been searching online and have found a handful of used Control24s floating around for about $1100 for just the control service no other hardware.

Now I know I could use ethernet to connect the control 24, but will that allow it to run as a normal controller /Console for preamps etc
or would i need digidesign 192 or something along those lines?
I am going to be using this as a control surface as well as for its Preamps.

If im not mistaken a can use my normal protools 10 version and run the HD hardware no problem as well correct?

Hi,

The control 24 will work with any pro tools up to 10 on most any computer that has ethernet.

Its basically a big gloryfied mouse.

It is NOT an audio interface. but there are 16 stand alone pre-amps built in that have outputs on the back of the 24 in the form of a 25way D-Connector for each bank of 8 pre-amps which will output the pre-amps back to your audio interface inputs. (These are very basic pre-amps!)

There is also a monitor section, again this uses inputs and outputs on the control 24 (No direct sound from PT)

Its a great control surface but the audio side isn't stella

Chris

Xraided28 02-22-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2476861)
Hi,

The control 24 will work with any pro tools up to 10 on most any computer that has ethernet.

Its basically a big gloryfied mouse.

It is NOT an audio interface. but there are 16 stand alone pre-amps built in that have outputs on the back of the 24 in the form of a 25way D-Connector for each bank of 8 pre-amps which will output the pre-amps back to your audio interface inputs. (These are very basic pre-amps!)

There is also a monitor section, again this uses inputs and outputs on the control 24 (No direct sound from PT)

Its a great control surface but the audio side isn't stella

Chris

Thanks for the quick response chris.

What do you think would be an alternative option for someone looking to upgrade? for a controll surface / console... I am on a budget of around 5k, anything left over is going to be put towards my other budget for new mic(s), interface(s), pres etc...

albee1952 02-22-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xraided28 (Post 2476871)
Thanks for the quick response chris.

What do you think would be an alternative option for someone looking to upgrade? for a controll surface / console... I am on a budget of around 5k, anything left over is going to be put towards my other budget for new mic(s), interface(s), pres etc...

Hmmm, $5K buys a used C24 or a used S3, DOCK and iPad. All of these will still work with newer PT software, so might be a better option. Or you could pick up the new Presonus Faderport16 or a pair of used Artist Mix units for under a grand:o

YYR123 02-22-2018 04:02 PM

Control 24- new member

The difference between the Faderports and the S3 being the integration with PT.

Faderports while nice are only HUi. So that’s transport controls and fader movements, solo, mute and Maybe record...(i don’t remember about record)

Eucon while it is not 100% all of the time is so much more detailed than just simple HUi

YouTube both surfaces

Rich Breen 02-23-2018 08:10 AM

Keep in mind, OP needs an interface too. There's nothing in the current Avid line that will provide "console" and interface functions except the S3 which is out of his/her price range (and the S3's audio interface capabilities are pretty minimal).

BTW, the fix for broken faders on the 003 is cheap and easy; Full Compass sells replacement faders for about $40 each, and it's a simple job to put the new ones in.

albee1952 02-23-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2477049)
Keep in mind, OP needs an interface too.....and the S3's audio interface capabilities are pretty minimal).

And, on windows, the S3 has no interface capabilities as Avid still has no Windows AVB driver:eek: These days, I am happy to keep the interface and the controller as separate hardware:o

JFreak 02-24-2018 12:15 PM

The foreseeable future of Avid is going to be S-series controllers and the MTRX interface