Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   (4)S1’s with Dock setup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408479)

mixboy bob 02-13-2020 08:13 AM

(4)S1’s with Dock setup

1 Attachment(s)
1st attempt to post a pic here... custom desk is under construction, but I’m loving the workflow of these now that I’m forgetting 6 years of D-Command muscle memory!!

Lynn Gräber 02-13-2020 08:53 AM

Re: (4)S1’s with Dock setup

This. Is. Awesome. I've got the Dock with two S1's. Do you feel its hard to reach the outside units?

Also, you finding the Amazon tablets stable? I have basically turned off EVERY service and permission on mine and feel they are finally settling in.

mixboy bob 02-13-2020 09:12 AM

Thanks!!!

This is about 14" shorter than my 40 channel D-Command, so it feels WAY more within reach!! Haha. I barely have to lean sideways to reach the end faders without any stretch.

After I did static IP on the tablets, they have been rock solid. Maybe 1 disconnect every few days, but it usually brings itself back online within seconds and no action required on my part. I use Google WIFI, and the puck is about 9 feet from the farthest tablet, so that proximity probably helps.

Lynn Gräber 02-13-2020 09:23 AM

Is your Dock magnetized on the side like the S1? Mine is not. Was a bit disappointed to find that.

You using an Amazon tablet in the dock too?

mixboy bob 02-13-2020 09:28 AM

The dock never had magnets, so no. But my desk, when finished, will hold them right together. They sit perfectly next to each other, so unless I shove it, nothing moves.

Yes... Fire HD 10 in the dock as well! Love it....

Also, as you can see, I have the S1 tablets on mounts I built to raise them up above the S1. The viewing angle is better for my preference that way.

Southsidemusic 02-13-2020 09:33 AM

Yep looks like a poor mans S4 or S6 ;)

Lynn Gräber 02-13-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixboy bob (Post 2554055)
The dock never had magnets, so no. But my desk, when finished, will hold them right together. They sit perfectly next to each other, so unless I shove it, nothing moves.

Yes... Fire HD 10 in the dock as well! Love it....

Also, as you can see, I have the S1 tablets on mounts I built to raise them up above the S1. The viewing angle is better for my preference that way.

What mounts are you using? I think being able to adjust the angle of the tablets wouldve been useful. Even an aftermarket piece like the removable piece on the Dock would be awesome.

mixboy bob 02-13-2020 09:45 AM

Yep. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2554056)
Yep looks like a poor mans S4 or S6 ;)

mixboy bob 02-13-2020 09:47 AM

I'll try to post a link later... client arriving soon.

I built a stand/shelf/pedestal myself, and then found some cheap $5 tablet stands on amazon that have notched angle slots, so the S1 tablets, Dock tablet, and my TC Clarity all sit at the exact same angle. Streamlines the look since it's all uniform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber (Post 2554059)
What mounts are you using? I think being able to adjust the angle of the tablets wouldve been useful. Even an aftermarket piece like the removable piece on the Dock would be awesome.

smurfyou 02-13-2020 08:17 PM

Looks great!

Are you having the issue with automation dropping out after 47 seconds? That seems like a true show-stopper bug.