Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Avid S3 or S6 with Logic, Reason and Cubase - for composing, not mixing! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405750)

AHSF 07-25-2019 10:53 PM

Avid S3 or S6 with Logic, Reason and Cubase - for composing, not mixing!

Hello everybody!

I would like to know if any of you here have experience here using an Avid control surface like S3 (or even S6) with a DAW other than Pro Tools. Especially Logic, Cubase and Reason (although the latter does not have EUCON support, consider using via MCU).

On the website, Avid says it's compatible. But I'd like to know about the quality/depth of this integration and the ability to control virtual instrument parameters (does it show up on screens? flip on faders? etc.) , not just the basic play/stop and volume using faders.

The idea is to be able to use a control surface not only for mixing, but also in the creating/composing process, controlling synths and such, trying to stay as far away from the mouse and computer screen as possible.

I appreciate any help/input on this.

Thanks!

albee1952 07-26-2019 03:27 PM

Re: Avid S3 or S6 with Logic, Reason and Cubase - for composing, not mixing!

You may get better advice from the forums for those programs. Ask how Eucon works for them:o

mattrixx 07-26-2019 06:17 PM

Logic Pro X is fantastic with S3 and Dock

AHSF 07-31-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrixx (Post 2533926)
Logic Pro X is fantastic with S3 and Dock

mattrixx, please, could you be more specific?
Besides the basic fader control (which I hope it works)... what else?

Can you control using knobs (or even flipping faders) third-party plugin parameters? Do you also use it controlling virtual synthesizers, for example?

Thank you!

mattrixx 07-31-2019 11:09 PM

Yes of course... all of the above and more. You can also assign Eucon Macros to user touch strip as well as customisation of other functions.
It works really really well.

J-S-Q 08-04-2019 04:48 AM

You can search my old posts for some details on using an S3 with Cubase. In a nutshell, it's very good and extremely well integrated but with two major issues:

1. If you hide tracks in Cubase, they will still appear on the control surface - very annoying!

2. You can get small errors in channel volume when banking the controller and touching a fader. Depending on how you work, this could be insignificant or it could be a problem.

J-S-Q 08-04-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-S-Q (Post 2534554)
You can search my old posts for some details on using an S3 with Cubase. In a nutshell, it's very good and extremely well integrated but with two major issues:

1. If you hide tracks in Cubase, they will still appear on the control surface - very annoying!

2. You can get small errors in channel volume when banking the controller and touching a fader. Depending on how you work, this could be insignificant or it could be a problem.

Well... amazingly, you can now scrap issue number two from my list above as this has now at long last been fixed in the latest Eucon update.

AHSF 08-04-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-S-Q (Post 2534566)
Well... amazingly, you can now scrap issue number two from my list above as this has now at long last been fixed in the latest Eucon update.

Thanks for your input J-S-Q!

EddieJones 08-05-2019 09:32 AM

Issue 1 is down to Steinberg to change unfortunately.