Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So.. Cubase Sidechain ADC is a game changer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408630)

TNM 02-21-2020 03:11 AM

So.. Cubase Sidechain ADC is a game changer

Hi.. All other DAWs that supposedly have full plugin delay compensation have failed at this (at least pro tools doesn't claim to have any on sidechains).

Cubase 8 and 9 were both 100% broken with sidechain latency compensation, in fact it was easier to work in pro tools cause you could move clips back by samples and saw the delay number easily displayed IN samples.

I am demoing Cubase 10.5 at the moment, just to see whether it's worth upgrading my 9.5 license, and I am blown away.

I put it through HELL and it compensated *everything*.

I just used a simple test with a VI pad, 4 bars, 4 chords, and a dynamics plugin on it, with the dynamics plugin sidechain being fed from an audio track with a simple kick drum loop.

This was a very easy way to test, as I was simply gating the pad with a 4 beat kick, so any fluctuation in timing would be instantly noticeable.

SO..

The only gate plugin I could get with more than 11ms latency was neutron 3..(i could get pro G to 11ms by enabling oversampling and look ahead) and the only way I could do this is by enabling every process in neutron in multiband mode, which got it to 58ms. That way I was able to test the sound when all the previous effects were disabled (they were all just at "flat" settings anyway, only activated to add latency), and then enabled. Of course the gate was enabled at all times. I even made the gate multiband to add that extra latency, but the top band was like in the 15K range so the band doing the work was basically broadband anyway.
Timing was correct at both 3ms latency (the base setting) and 58ms.

So.. I then decided to push it further, and put various latent effects in the same insert path as the gate, before AND after it, and got to around 500ms.. No issues!

So I went one further.. I added a fab filter linear phase EQ to the *kick* track, and it didn't budge.. Just a millisecond burp to readjust quickly.

This is telling me how amazing it is to have sidechain latency compensation. You can basically chuck any latent plugin that affects sidechain and just never have to think about it. I specifically and very heavily limit my choice of S/C plugins in PT due to the lack of compensation.

They say HDX has sidechain ADC. Does anyone know if that's for native AAX as well as DSP, or only DSP? I asked this question ages ago but was unable to get an answer. If it can do native as well, yet another reason I am hanging out to finally upgrade to HDX.

BTW, Logic's sidechain ADC is completely broken in every way, if anyone is wondering.

JFreak 02-23-2020 08:33 AM

Re: So.. Cubase Sidechain ADC is a game changer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2554919)
They say HDX has sidechain ADC. Does anyone know if that's for native AAX as well as DSP, or only DSP? I asked this question ages ago but was unable to get an answer.

They also say it works with HDN, but Avid hasn't made a big deal of it. Why don't you take the free trial and try it yourself as you seem to be invested in this?

XJENSEN 02-23-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2555103)
They also say it works with HDN, but Avid hasn't made a big deal of it. Why don't you take the free trial and try it yourself as you seem to be invested in this?

Not true.

TNM 03-09-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2555103)

it doesn't.

JFreak 03-09-2020 03:32 PM

Okay then, I've heard baloney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk