Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Slate RAVEN MTI virtual desk (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334295)

Henchman 02-10-2013 10:30 PM

Re: Slate RAVEN MTI virtual desk

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2006297)
Would much less have a decimal value ? Entertain us !!

$18k for the 7.1 MTX
$4k for the smaller MTI, if Im correct

JohnR424 02-11-2013 07:27 AM

The name "glass console" came from the concept that in aviation traditionally there was a separate piece of hardware that displayed airspeed, altitude, vertical assent and descent speeds etc, that were arranged in a logical order in front of the pilot. As computers entered the cockpit, screens were implemented that represented all of these functions in a far more interactive manor, this term in aviation is refered to as a "glass cockpit". My original thought was to project from below onto a touch enabled slightly frosted glass sheet the image of the workstation, protools in this case, and be able to manipulate the vertual console due to the touch overlay on the glass. When you were not using it or needed to playback a film reel in total darkness the image could be turned of leaving nothing more than a cool looking slightly angled glass surface. This proved to be cumbersome and impractical and so the idea morphed into using early plasma displays with a touch overlay. The need for physical faders/mutes/transport controls we felt were essential, lucky enough JLCooper had a range of boards that fit this need and sold us the raw parts to make this. Bare in mind this was fifteen years ago, HUI was our only option on a hardware level into protools, and the touchscreens were single touch, and the 42 inch plasma besides being big which we needed, had a pretty low pixel count. Never the less we build a few, installed them and used them, there are television shows that are still in syndication that were mixed on these consoles (remember this was before pro-control).
Today we have great resolution screens (4K) with very good multi-touch overlays, great handshake protocols (if I were to do it today I would pull apart a few Euphonix MC's for the fader master section aspect. And even look at scaling products like this http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=181 if one wanted to go back to the very original idea of what a audio controller could be. Or as they develop better wearable feedback devices (Google eyeware type devices) there is no reason why one would even need to have a big physical device in front of you to tell a piece of backroom hardware/software to change a parameter for you. An effective spacially aware system or data glove could change these icons you see virtually hanging in the air in front of you quite effectively. And for that matter the icon representing volume need not be a fader but could be a colored ball one "pushes and pulls though the air to change its relationship to other sounds, reverb could be a virtuel box we size with our hands until it sounds the way we wish etc. I have always though this could be fun, and today it is very possible on the hardware/software level....socially a whole different argument.

Pirate Post 02-11-2013 03:52 PM

I can see it now. 2 or 3 mixers sitting in a dub stage waving their arms around. You can tell who's mixing effects. He's the guy flinging imaginary objects behind him.

A new type of repetitive injury is born.

minister 02-11-2013 05:35 PM

It looks really slow to me too!

JohnR424 02-11-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate Post (Post 2006527)
I can see it now. 2 or 3 mixers sitting in a dub stage waving their arms around. You can tell who's mixing effects. He's the guy flinging imaginary objects behind him.

A new type of repetitive injury is born.

Subtle like flying a helicopter, not like loading a truck.

capt kirk 02-11-2013 08:11 PM

just put one in a room near the entrance, to impress clients....wow, look....;)

capt kirk 02-11-2013 08:12 PM

hopefully it isn't slow......

SPA 02-12-2013 01:00 AM

Hi folks. Few things I wanted to clear up.

First and foremost, while the RAVEN does use some basic HUI functions, most of the control is a custom coded protocol, and not only does it do a ton more than what HUI is capable of, but it also does many things that Eucon is not capable of.

Fader resolution can be as fine as one tenth of a db, and you can even use "fine fader mode" for ultra precision.

The response of the faders is faster than most motorized hardware faders. Speaking of faders, they go up and down and change volume of tracks. There's not a lot of sophistication to a fader or its functionality that would validate the need for expensive hardware faders in 2013, in my opinion. The touch faders take very little time to get used to, and you can easily grab one and move it without looking at it, as I did many times at our NAMM booth.

Fast is what the RAVEN is all about. It's so fast. I mean.. really really fast. We've added touch gestures that make editing and mixing into a whole new experience. But I'll let our upcoming video show this off more precisely.

For plugin control, I promise you that nothing beats just reaching out and grabbing the dials, just like it were outboard gear.

The angle of the screen allows it to be more ergonomic and less of a comb filter inducing acoustical nightmare that is common with flat desks.

There are many other cool things about the RAVEN, but it's probably best you just try one and see for yourself. We're also going to work hard on providing custom options for POST PRODUCTION mixers.

In conclusion, I'd hope that you'd refrain from presumptions and get some time on one... you might dig it. Our species has evolved in a way that we have hands that act as tools for our brain to accomplish tasks.. we naturally want to think of something and then reach out and execute. This is what we did before DAW's when you had a console with outboard gear and it's what you can do again with the RAVEN. The DAW, the technology, is unobstructed from your creative process and almost becomes a part of you.

I can tell you this.. it's as close to an iPAD and a monitor section as a 1986 Dodge Stratus is to a Ferrari. I look forward to you guys trying it out, and you can contact me personally for any questions at [email protected]

Cheers,
Steven

MIKEROPHONICS 02-12-2013 02:28 AM

I shall be checking it out at the London demo.

Honestly, some of you lot would have burned the iPad designer at the stake at the design stage with talk of it being "slower than my mouse...."

Cheers

minister 02-12-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS (Post 2006635)
Honestly, some of you lot would have burned the iPad designer at the stake at the design stage with talk of it being "slower than my mouse...."

MMMmmm... burned stake.

-Homer J. Simpson