Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   External mic with pro tools 8 LE? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=302756)

saltydeath 06-13-2011 08:47 PM

External mic with pro tools 8 LE?

I just set up pro tools 8 le. I have an external mic and an m-audio transit usb. Can I hook up the mic to get input through this and record into pro tools? Or is there something where m-audio isn't compatible with le?

Dism 06-13-2011 09:06 PM

Re: External mic with pro tools 8 LE?

only if the mic is external enough

albee1952 06-14-2011 07:48 AM

Pro Tools LE will only work with a compatible Digidesign or Avid interface(Mbox, 002 or 003). Pro Tools M-Powered will likely work with the M-Audio Transit with the mic plugged into the Transit. Neither software will recognize a USB mic(you didn't give much detail).

saltydeath 06-14-2011 11:40 AM

Sorry, let me explain. I have a Shure SM-58 mic connected to an M-Audio transit which is run into the computer. What I was wondering is if this transit will work with pro tools 8 le, or if there's some incompatibility between LE and M-audio in pro tools. I only have an mbox2 mini which doesn't provide for input, so I'm confused about how to get audio input to start recording into pro tools.

Dism 06-14-2011 12:52 PM

MBox 2 Mini most certainly does have a mic input on the back.

M-Audio hardware is not compatible with Pro Tools LE. Only M-Powered and Pro Tools 9.

albee1952 06-14-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltydeath (Post 1805319)
Sorry, let me explain. I have a Shure SM-58 mic connected to an M-Audio transit which is run into the computer. What I was wondering is if this transit will work with pro tools 8 le, or if there's some incompatibility between LE and M-audio in pro tools. I only have an mbox2 mini which doesn't provide for input, so I'm confused about how to get audio input to start recording into pro tools.

Did you mean an Mbox MICRO? The Mini does have 2 inputs(one line/DI and one XLR). The M-Audio box is not going to work at all. Your options are either buy M-Powered software(which should work with the Transit) or buy a Digidesign/Avid interface. Lots of used Mbox 2 models floating around craigslist or evilbay. Often without software(which you have) so the price gets even better. Avoid the original(pale blue) Mbox with the Focusrite preamps as it is no longer a supported product(although it will work with PT8.0.1, but not newer versions).

saltydeath 06-14-2011 03:10 PM

The one I have is the micro, not the mini, sorry. I'm looking at it now and I'm pretty sure it's only audio out, right? It doesn't make sense that it only allows you to listen to audio coming out but has no line in. So if I have to upgrade to an Mbox mini do I need to buy a new license, or will it work with the one I already have?

The Dougfather 06-14-2011 03:45 PM

Pro Toole LE works with all digi interfaces OS permitting so just plug in a mini and go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk