Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Can not decide between the HDX and the HDN ... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338496)

CLASS-A-DUDI TAMIR 05-06-2013 08:04 AM

Can not decide between the HDX and the HDN ...

Now - when PROTOOLS 11 supports 64-BIT Are all need to invest in HDX card?
I personally, recording one channel at a time ...

nst7 05-06-2013 08:22 AM

Re: Can not decide between the HDX and the HDN ...

What type of stuff do you record? How many tracks are typical in your sessions? Do you need to track through plugins? And what kind of computer do you have?

albee1952 05-06-2013 08:42 AM

Good questions^^^ Odds are that, if you record one thing at a time and work solo, then HDX would be overkill(and way more money than you need to spend). HD/Native and OMNI are a killer setup for someone working alone(not recording bands).

CLASS-A-DUDI TAMIR 05-06-2013 08:51 AM

1 - I record music in all styles ...! But recording one channel at a time only.
2 - average 40/50 channels - and I use a lot of virtual instruments (but it is not related to HDX)
3 - I moved from a Mac to the PC I assembled it by friends here in the forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because I record one channel at a time and price HDX system so expensive ...
I thought I might buy instead - rme babyface with PROTOOLS HD11.

What do you say about this ...?

Processor - Intel Core i7-3930K Box
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
System Disk - SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Sata 3
Disc projects/samples - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
Memories - G.Skill DDR3 F3-12800CL9Q-32GBZL
Video Card - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 OC 2GB GDDR5
Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2EU TX850 V2
CPU fan - CoolerMaster TPC 812
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64Bit OEM English

guitardom 05-06-2013 10:26 AM

You can't buy the HD software without the hardware. If you want HD software, would have to go with HDN and omni. Otherwise you could go w the baby face and PT11 (not HD version of software)

Computer looks good!!! A bit overkill w a 2gb vid card so hopefully you have a lot of ram!!

CLASS-A-DUDI TAMIR 05-06-2013 11:02 AM

If I understand correctly ....
If I do not work with the card HDN/HDX I can not use PROOTLS HD ...?

ָָָ
Do something out here to compare the quality of the recording of RME B - converters of the HD I / O

zedhed 05-08-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLASS-A-DUDI TAMIR (Post 2037676)

That is my understanding, though I'm new to the HD environment awaiting my HDN/Omni at moment so don't take my word as gospel.

I think this is what a lot of heated debate is about from those wanting to upgrade to PT11 who've previously bought the CPTK package.

If you do go with a card, for your purposes based on what you've said you use PT for I'd suggest the HDN.

guitardom 05-08-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLASS-A-DUDI TAMIR (Post 2037676)
If I understand correctly ....

ָָָ
Do something out here to compare the quality of the recording of RME B - converters of the HD I / O

You could use HD software if you owned it. Problem is you can't purchase it separately. Only the standard pro tools 11. HD version of the software, which is just added features is only available with the HDN or HDX card, unless you can get a cptk license quick, but I bet they are like fold right now.

I THINK you are asking if any of the avid converters are quality wise, in comparison to the baby face?? Don't worry, I sold my RME and lynx converters when I got my avid converters. They are top notch. The omni would be your beat bet for your workflow IMO.

If you don't know the features of the HD software maybe you don't need them and just get PT and the baby face and save some money!

CLASS-A-DUDI TAMIR 05-10-2013 08:25 AM

1 - I'm currently working on a HD3 + 96 I / O with PROTOOLS 9 HD.
Even if I do not purchase HDX / HDN can I upgrade the software version 10HD/11HD.

2 - I understand and know the quality of the product ...

3 - According to what I understand - if I'm Whit RME B card - the software will not work in a state of +4db ...
Is this a problem...?

And in general interest me if something was to compare A / B TEST with Avid converter compared Converter
Very cheap as RME B

nst7 05-10-2013 10:56 AM

But keep in mind, if you get the upgrade to HD11, it won't work with your HD TDM system. 10 will, but 11 won't.