Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Using PCI(X) HD cards with new MAc Pro (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=176330)

lumpo 09-05-2006 03:39 PM

Using PCI(X) HD cards with new MAc Pro

I would like to get the new Mac but the cost of x-grading my HD2 to PCIe is SILLY! Therefore, has anyone any personal experience of running an older externalPCi expansion chassis and then buying a PCIe connection card to run this? i.e. it would seem cheaper to buy a used xpansion chassis and a new PCIe chassis card than paying DIGI M$ prices.

Any experiences , advice or views welcomed.

L

guitar012001 09-05-2006 08:11 PM

Re: Using PCI(X) HD cards with new MAc Pro

I just upgraded to a "new" G5 Dual 2.3 PCI-X Machine today! A local store gave me a great deal on there last one. I used a Magma 7 Slot Expansion Chassis with my Quicksilver Dual 1gig for about 3 years and it was great. I also used it with my HD5 Accel setup also. I contacted Magma about there new PCI-e Host card for there PCI Expansion chassis. However, I discovered that the card will only work in there 68pin cable designs and not the 80pin designs. Well, I currently have an 80pin design and that's the reason I went with a PCI-X machine because it is capable of functioning wiith my expansion chassis which will allow me to continue using my HD PCI/PCI-X cards in my chassis. I have a 32bit, 33mhz expansion chassis which is supposed to work according to Digidesign and Magma. I did read where some Dual 2.3's and Dual 2.7's initializing the HD cards when installed in a chassis. I talked to Digidesign about this and they said if I occur such a problem they would exchange/swap cards with me for ones that will function with my machine. I'm currently setting my machine up now.
I hope this helps sommmmme!!
Randy

lumpo 09-06-2006 12:10 AM

Thanks
Can you let me know how it works out? Clearly I have to get the right expansion chassis here!

L

lumpo 09-06-2006 12:11 AM

Thanks
Can you let me know how it works out? Clearly I have to get the right expansion chassis here!

L

guitar012001 09-07-2006 12:18 AM

Hi lumpo and everyone!
I installed Pro Tools 7.1 and updated to 7.1.cs4 on my brand new G5 Dual 2.3 PCI-X with 4.5gig of ram, OS 10.4.4 (a deal at $1550) and my Magma 32bit, 33mhz 7 slot expansion chassis with HD Core, HD Accel, HD Process, Hd Process, HD Process, and all is working great!! As I asked and mentioned in another post that Digi says there was a problem with some of the Dual 2.3 and Dual 2.7 PCI-X machines that weren't initializing the cards in expansion chassis's. Tech support will exchange your cards or update them if you have a problem like that per my conversation with them. I'm sure they will have to be registered to you though. Again I would like to thank all those that responded to my posts about these computers too.
I hope this helps.
Randy

lumpo 09-07-2006 05:06 AM

Sounds great.

The question I'm faced with is will a PCIe card in a new Mac (the one's just released, xeon-based; rather than PCI X) work with an external chassis full of all the stuff mentioned above? Here I'm presuming Digi stays on time and maked HD7.2 run on these things (supposedly RSN - September). Anyhow, the bridge from PCIe to PCI/X from an intel machine is the essence of the question (sorry to have not been clear before).
TIA
L

lumpo 09-07-2006 05:06 AM

Sounds great.

The question I'm faced with is will a PCIe card in a new Mac (the one's just released, xeon-based; rather than PCI X) work with an external chassis full of all the stuff mentioned above? Here I'm presuming Digi stays on time and maked HD7.2 run on these things (supposedly RSN - September). Anyhow, the bridge from PCIe to PCI/X from an intel machine is the essence of the question (sorry to have not been clear before).
TIA
L

Dutchmuzik 09-07-2006 08:44 AM

The only qualified chassis to do this is the Digidesign HD|Expansion Chassis.