Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2019.5 not ready for prime time! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404659)

PhilSchroeder 05-12-2019 02:39 PM

2019.5 not ready for prime time!

This is the most highly anticipated BUST I've seen since Y2K. Don't upgrade!

• plug-in windows that randomly open, sometimes change, close again, open again on their own.

• plug in windows that I *did* open deciding to vanish on their own.

• audio that isn't there playing from a track.

• audio that is there but muted (grayed out, i.e., command M) and still plays.

• massive digital glitch-out forcing a restart 5 or 6 times a day.

• MIDI notes disappearing.

Nope. I have work to do. I've stated before that I'm changing platforms, but I still need to squeeze another few months out of Pro Tools. I guess 2018.12 will take me to the end. Enjoy your extra tracks, everyone!

albee1952 05-12-2019 09:44 PM

Re: 2019.5 not ready for prime time!

"plug-in windows that randomly open, sometimes change, close again, open again on their own." Seen here as well, but almost positive that its a Eucon issue(if I kill Eucon, all is well).

The rest of what you describe isn't happening here. It hasn't been perfect, but the issues I had were solved with a re-start of PT). My issues:
1-twice, I opened a session that would not play(restart of PT fixed it both times)
2-On one session, some Elastic Audio timing edits were ignored(the audio LOOKED like it moved, but sounded like it didn't). Next day, it worked fine.

TrentWilliams 05-12-2019 09:56 PM

Since it arrived, I’ve cranked ~60 hours into it and haven’t seen a single bug, crash, or error message. I’m working on a post session >280 voices including two dozen virtual foley midi tracks, and ~8 VI instances. It’s been an absolute dream.

Southsidemusic 05-12-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent W. (Post 2525372)
Since it arrived, I’ve cranked ~60 hours into it and haven’t seen a single bug, crash, or error message. I’m working on a post session >280 voices including two dozen virtual foley midi tracks, and ~8 VI instances. It’s been an absolute dream.

Same here but but producing and writing sessions with atleast 20 VI instances and lots of plugins with some pretty CPU intensive and everything is great!

Mac Pro Trashcan 12core Sierra 10.12.6 w/PTU and 2 x Apollo X8P aswell as 2 Satellite Quads

Haven’t tried on our Mac Pro trashcans with Mojave yet but Sierra runs like a dream 24/7 here with heavy midi work and audio recording. 200-250 tracks at 88.2 ...

I really feel for those who have problems but my head is spinning as to why there are so many that it just works for ...

iigunzent 05-12-2019 10:46 PM

I’m living the dream here. Granted I’m still running 10.13 on a 2011 MacBook with 16gb of ram and can’t update to Mojave though. But 2019 is running like a champ for me all day for the last 2 days. The only issue I’ve had was trying to transfer my license. I bought the perpetual a few days before it dropped and for some reason it wouldn’t show up in my cloud once i logged in. But other than that, no problems once i got it up and running.

justinhill 05-12-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2525323)
This is the most highly anticipated BUST I've seen since Y2K. Don't upgrade!

I'm sorry you're having such problems. It seems so strange that people are having such mixed results with the upgrade. I had a few small anomalies the first time I opened sessions on the new software but broadly speaking the transition has been smoother than I had hoped and 2019 looks like a significantly better program from my chair. Others seem to have had the same experience. And then there are others, like you, who've had a terrible time. There must be a common thread somewhere.

JFreak 05-13-2019 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2525323)
Don't upgrade!

Sorry to hear you have such random problems. From everything I've experienced, and heard from people I know take good care of their systems, this PT 2019.5 combined with macOS 10.14.4 is the best 64bit combination so far -- which leads me to believe you need a full clean system reinstall if trashing prefs and importing your session data to a fresh clean session won't help.

Your problems are not common problems.

Felix Rost 05-13-2019 04:50 AM

Do you use Eucon devices? If so, be sure to read the whats new documents.

del cosmos 05-13-2019 05:47 AM

I had some of your problems at the beginning but found that the upgrade changed some preferences on my S6, so yes, the windows that suddenly open are eucon related.

Said that, I’ve worked many hours with 2018.5 without a single problem, old sessions and new sessions, I’m very happy with this release.
I’m on High Sierra, 3 HDX cards on a modified 64gb ram cheese grater Mac with a magma expansion chasis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dot 05-13-2019 06:23 AM

Overall PT 2019.5 experience seems smoother, but there's still quite few bugs.

- random opening and closing of plugin windows (most likely eucon related)
- GUI lags occasionally
- When I export clips / or do offline bounce I have to turn off SSL Sigma Remote Control, if i keep it on Pro Tools freezes (but as soon as i turn off Sigma Remote everything gets back to normal)
- I still get some random AAE error -9173 (less than in the previous version)