Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Upgrade / Crossgrade from PT 9 HD to PT 11. Can I do this? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360450)

johngc 11-07-2014 12:40 PM

Upgrade / Crossgrade from PT 9 HD to PT 11. Can I do this?

Hi, I have the PT9 HD and want to upgrade to PT 11, I do not want the PT 11 HD, is this possible? I really do not need the PT 11HD, the PT11 is enough for me.

Anyone know if I can do? Thank you ...

nigelpry 11-07-2014 02:05 PM

Re: Upgrade / Crossgrade from PT 9 HD to PT 11. Can I do this?

You'd have to contact Avid directly, there no option in the store to do that.

But, be prepared to answer ....

Your HD software came bundled with HD hardware and the two are intended to remain together.

If you have sold your hardware, you should have bundled your HD software with it in the sale. Why didn't you?

If you still have your HD hardware, how will you use it without the HD software?

nst7 11-07-2014 05:14 PM

Basically there'd no way to do this. It would be a "downgrade" and they don't offer that.

Barry Johns 11-07-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngc (Post 2201033)
Hi, I have the PT9 HD and want to upgrade to PT 11, I do not want the PT 11 HD, is this possible? I really do not need the PT 11HD, the PT11 is enough for me.

Anyone know if I can do? Thank you ...

The upgrade to ProTools HD 11 include ProTools HD 10, ProTools HD 11, ProTools 10 vanilla, and ProTools 11 vanilla

nigelpry 11-08-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2201139)
The upgrade to ProTools HD 11 include ProTools HD 10, ProTools HD 11, ProTools 10 vanilla, and ProTools 11 vanilla

Yeah .... if you read what the poster was asking ....

I think he was hoping to move up in version to 11, but down in type from HD to vanilla, as he doesn't need HD features and, if he could make that move, it would result in a massive saving in ongoing support costs $199 per year as opposed to $599.

I think your reply is wrong.

My HD bundle includes two licences, 10HD and 11HD. It does not include separate vanilla licences as well.

There is no obvious way to get PTHD to run in vanilla mode at launch if you have HD licences. Maybe there is some shortcut key to do that, but if you have HD why would you do that?

JFreak 11-08-2014 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2201213)
My HD bundle includes two licences, 10HD and 11HD. It does not include separate vanilla licences as well.

There is no obvious way to get PTHD to run in vanilla mode at launch if you have HD licences. Maybe there is some shortcut key to do that, but if you have HD why would you do that?

Well the reason for bundling all four licenses together is because if you have 11HD license and do not have PT11 license, the software won't start.

Avid has done an exception in the first days of PT11 for us mods and beta testers to have the PT11 license separate from 11HD license, so that we could send the HD license back to iLok.com and therefore troubleshoot issues in "vanilla" mode. But I don't think they will ever do that for normal customers (even our licenses are now the same, bundled four licenses), because it opens a possibility of an operator error, which Avid support would have to sort out.

And, ilok.com would probably charge more for it.

johngc 11-10-2014 09:58 AM

Thank you all for your answers ...

Actually right now I have one Pro Tools | HD core and an interface 192 and I do not plan for now, buy a Pro Tools | HDX or Protools Native ... so I think it's unnecessary to have Protools 11 HD. or am I wrong?

Thanks again ... !!!

nst7 11-10-2014 10:53 AM

You do get a lot of extra features in the HD software, so it depends on if those features are important to you.