Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   plug-ins for voiceover work? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=109502)

tokyofan 06-27-2004 05:57 AM

plug-ins for voiceover work?

I'm setting up some home studio equipment for the first time (a REAL newbie) and am using a Studio Projects C1 condenser mic with an M-Box and G5. I'm starting to get more comfortbale with PT but am wondering if there are any essential plug-ins I should consider using/purchasing for voice-overs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And are there any compatibility issues I should watch out for? Thanks!
Chris

Bixby 06-27-2004 06:18 AM

Re: plug-ins for voiceover work?

I don't do voiceover work per se, so I don't know what the pro voiceover guys or gals are doing, but I do do production for radio.

I would think most people you're delivering product to would want an unprocessed file - if they want to add compression or EQ to make it fit the final product, they'll do that.

So I would spend money on frontend - find the best mic/pre/converter that brings out the best in your voice.

Hope this helps-

RadioMoo 06-27-2004 12:25 PM

I do voiceover work, and I always ask the client (if they don't say so first), if they want a processed file or not. A lot of times when someone books you, they'll tell you which filetype they want, whether to use email or FTP or overnight a CD, 16/44.1 or 24/48, etc. If not, ask if they have any preferences.

I have an Audio-Technica AT4033 mic (with an Mbox), and it usually needs a litte cut on the low end and a boost on the highs, so I do it. If a client says a track doesn't sound powerful enough, I use the limiter--not the compressor. I never push it past -6 at peaks; this increases the loudness of the track while preserving a good bit of the dynamic range, which will have more impact on the air than something that's squashed all to hell. I also boost at 6K and 12 K (so that it sounds crisp and well defined, not harsh) to help the track stand up to a powerful music bed.

HTH!

katoramone 06-28-2004 03:54 AM

I've done voice-over or ADR recording and the best bet is good outboard gear (ironically for the customer) AKG or Audix may be great but to make the sale to customers who rely on wivestales or "advice".... have a good record rack ready. For the Mr. Hell show we simply used a Neumann U-87, and a 1967 Mercanary compressor into PT and re-compressed vox with (in our opinion the best vox plug ever) the Waves renn comp. And yes ALWAYS get the delivery specs up front.

tokyofan 06-28-2004 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the tips! (What is ADR?).

I just got a job narrating Kyodo news articles for Mitsubishi's website here in Tokyo, which I'll be doing from home each morning! The files will be encoded for Real Player or WMP streaming. Any particular plug-ins for streaming audio files over the net? Thanks!
Chris

Using:
Studio Projects C1
M-Box
G5

RadioMoo 06-28-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

The files will be encoded for Real Player or WMP streaming. Any particular plug-ins for streaming audio files over the net?

Are you supposed to encode them yourself, or will the website people be doing that? If they're doing it, all you'll need to know is how they want them delivered; in most cases these days it's mp3.

tokyofan 06-28-2004 05:47 PM

We've been asked to encode the files ourselves into either a Real Player (.rm) or compressed WMP format (.wma or .wva?). With PT, I can bounce to Quicktime and then export to RealPlayer format with Quicktime Pro. Not sure of any other way to do it. As I understand it, converting to a WMP streaming format requires the Windows Media Encoder (not sure it's available for the Mac platform). Any suggestions? Also, still want to know if I should run any plug-ins for internet audio files (news items).

There are two narrators (one male/female) working on this project...one narrates and the other checks..we are to alternate each day.

RadioMoo 06-28-2004 07:09 PM

I don't know of any way to encode audio for Windows Media Player in Mac except to install Virtual PC and run Windows Media Encoder with it (what a hassle!).

There is a free beta plugin for exporting to Real Player from QuickTime Pro in OS X; check out Real Media's site.

Quote:

Also, still want to know if I should run any plug-ins for internet audio files (news items).

What do you want to accomplish?

tokyofan 06-29-2004 02:44 PM

How would the beta Real Player plug-in for QT Pro work differently than simply exporting to Real Player format? (I couldn't find it on their site..)

I've read on the forum that radio broadcast engineers use certain plug-ins for voiceovers, i.e. Waves C1 or RComp. Just wondering if there's anything useful for news items or for internet streaming in particular. Sort of a newbie at this... Thanks!

RadioMoo 06-29-2004 03:06 PM

Unless something's changed since I installed QT Pro, there was no encoder for Real Player. I got an email from someone (digidesign?) talking about the free beta plugin, so I downloaded it. If it's included in the 6.5.1 update, then there is no difference.

As far as plugins for voice: experiment. I like my own method which I described a few posts up. You don't necessarily have to spend any additional money, since you might get a sound you like with the included plugins.